Gold Coast Forwards

Started by DT87, December 07, 2010, 10:21:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DT87

We need this thread to discuss how the shortage of forwards on Gold Coast's list will affect Dream Team next year.

The only forwards on GC's list next year that will cost over $100k in DT will be Jared Brennan, Sam Day, Dion Prestia and Thomas Lynch (who is still listed as $84k in Fanplanner with his St Kilda namesake listed as a 2010 1st round draft pick). They also have some guys like Ablett, Fraser and Gorringe who will spend some time forward, but shouldn't be picked primarily as forwards. This means that the best sub-$100k GC forward rookies should get a lot of games. I am thinking of not getting Prestia and picking two sub-$100k GC forward rookies instead. Brandon Matera is the obvious one, and I've heard suggestion that Charlie Dixon might get a lot of games next year, but I don't really know anything about him.

Thoughts?

Hawka

remember the rookie and pre season draft is2 day so they could get more ;)

SydneyRox

Nathan Ablett was picked up... surprise, suprise.... but that was all as far as experience.... should mean some cash cows in the forward line....

Hawka

ossie85

Still hoping GAblett is a forward.

SydneyRox

18 games in 2007 with a 50 avg?? No games in three years? Was not going to make the list until his brother wrote into his contract. What discount is big enough?? He could be an interesting option though

AndyJ

Back In 06-07 at Geelong when both Ablett brothers played together.. Some days Nathan only touched the ball when Gary went out of his way to give it to him. Now that Gary is a markedly better player than he was back then.. perhaps Nathan will be on the receiving end of some very special supply.

If Nathan makes the senior team .. he may be well worth considering or even more likely - a mid season downgrade target.

Cicjose

Rookies are no guarantee to play unless their name comes up to replace a LTI right?

SydneyRox

Nathan Ablett was taken in the Pre season draft, means he was added to the main list, not the rookie list.

Cicjose

yeah i just found out thx Sydney

Justin Bieber

Quote from: hawka26 on December 07, 2010, 02:25:29 PM
nathan should b cheap
He will more than likely be at 94k.

Quote from: DT87 on December 07, 2010, 10:21:05 AM
I am thinking of not getting Prestia and picking two sub-$100k GC forward rookies instead. Brandon Matera is the obvious one, and I've heard suggestion that Charlie Dixon might get a lot of games next year, but I don't really know anything about him.
Same thinking as me. Dixon is a very good solid Full Forward. Strong mark and kick and played well in the VFL this season. He is a ready made AFL player and is a big fellow. Should be very good at taking contested marks as he is a quite towering figure up forward.and will be a very nice cash cow.

Barlow 21

Quote from: Hellopplz on December 11, 2010, 12:42:12 AM
Quote from: hawka26 on December 07, 2010, 02:25:29 PM
nathan should b cheap
He will more than likely be at 94k.

Quote from: DT87 on December 07, 2010, 10:21:05 AM
I am thinking of not getting Prestia and picking two sub-$100k GC forward rookies instead. Brandon Matera is the obvious one, and I've heard suggestion that Charlie Dixon might get a lot of games next year, but I don't really know anything about him.
Same thinking as me. Dixon is a very good solid Full Forward. Strong mark and kick and played well in the VFL this season. He is a ready made AFL player and is a big fellow. Should be very good at taking contested marks as he is a quite towering figure up forward.and will be a very nice cash cow.
Dixon is only 18 too I have heard. :)

RiOtChEsS

torpedo

Matera is way too small for my liking, 65kgs is insane, surely you cannot compete at AFL level at that size.

I'm not convinced all their top 10 mids are locks either, they have a lot of mature bodies in the midfield already, so I am unsure on Prestia, particularly given the price tag.

At this stage I'll be picking one of Nablett or Steven May only for my FWDs.

Cruiseon

I wouldn't get too excited about Nablett, a token gesture, he has struggled for the last 12 months.