Main Menu

Our Forward Line

Started by bunyip, December 05, 2010, 09:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunyip

Varcoe, Chappy and Moons.
Stokes, Pods and Tommahawk.
We had the highest scoring forward line in the league last season, so you wouldn't think that we could improve there. But the fact is we struggled to kick winning scores against Collingwood and St.Kilda.
I felt it was an area where Bomber was trying to find the right balance.
Were we to tall?
To slow?
I don't know, but we need to find a consistent goal kicker next season.
Should we go with Pods, or Hawkins?
I don't think we have any other options coming through.
Maybe they performed well enough last season to keep it safe.
We kicked 100 points or more on 15 occasions last season during the home and away games and 7 games under 100 points, of which we won 3.
As in our other lines, I see no reason for wholesale changes. We do need to produce bigger scores against a quality defense such as the Saints and the Pies.

Cicjose

I think duncan will replace Varcoe in that forward line and Varcoe will do more work in midfield

bunyip

That was quick :)
Don't disagree, but you would weaken the forward line. I'd be more inclined to play Mitch in the middle. I hope we see a bit more of him next season. He is probably good enough to play on the forward line.

Cicjose

i suppose you could keep varcoe in the forward line cause i think he is faster than duncan come to think about it

Milton

Quote from: bunyip on December 05, 2010, 09:51:49 PM

bunyip .. where's Byrnes and StevieJ ? .. the big problem with Moons, Tomahawk and SJ last year was that they could beat up the little guy but against top opposition they were found wanting .. Pods also to a lessor degree but he can be excused as it was his first season .. and Byrnes has problems with close checking defenders

I know we scored highly last year but I reckon we really have problems here .. I have doubts about Tomahawk, Moons is getting towards the end, StevieJ is a star but we need more in the tougher games .. we need someone like Mitch Brown to stand up here and a Motlop, Menzel, Duncan to consolidate a a flank .. which frees up Varcoe and Chappy to spend more time in the midfield

Cruiseon

Guys, just to add something else in I think you'll find Ling playing forward this year. It is kind of back where he started as he is definitely too slow to tag these days (can we all agree on that?), and he is a good kick and could still provide good forward pressure. 

It will be interesting on team balance though, Pods, Chappy, Johnson, Stokes, Varcoe and/or Byrnes, Ling & Hawkins remains a maybe.

ossie85

Forgot about Mooney cruise! Often think that maybe he clogs up the Cats forward line? Probably a bit harsh

bunyip

Quote from: Milton on December 06, 2010, 12:23:31 PM
Quote from: bunyip on December 05, 2010, 09:51:49 PM

bunyip .. where's Byrnes and StevieJ ? .. the big problem with Moons, Tomahawk and SJ last year was that they could beat up the little guy but against top opposition they were found wanting .. Pods also to a lessor degree but he can be excused as it was his first season .. and Byrnes has problems with close checking defenders

I know we scored highly last year but I reckon we really have problems here .. I have doubts about Tomahawk, Moons is getting towards the end, StevieJ is a star but we need more in the tougher games .. we need someone like Mitch Brown to stand up here and a Motlop, Menzel, Duncan to consolidate a a flank .. which frees up Varcoe and Chappy to spend more time in the midfield
Byrnes and Stevie didn't play as forwards last season as I recall. They were part of the center line rotation and played virtually all over the ground.
Sorry about that. I should have mentioned them.
Byrnesy probably spent more TIME on the forward line than Stevie though.

Cruiseon

Funny Ossie I reckon Mooney is developing into a bit of a liability as well. I really like the guy & I guess it depends on how Pods handles year 2.

Bunyip, what's your verdict on Ling and any transition into the forward line?

bunyip

Our key positions do seem to be a problem. Hawkins, Pods and Mooney kicked 106 goals last season, whereas Ablett , Stevie J and Chappy kicked 130. This may mean nothing, but I'd like to know how that compares to other teams.
Ablett, Stevie J and Chappy were our highest goal kickers other than the KPP's.
I said in another post that Stevie did not spend as much time in the forward line last season, but his return (63 goals) would suggest otherwise.
You could do your head in trying to figure out where to play everyone. With players rotating off the bench so quickly and often, they could end up anywhere on the ground.
I don't think we have any SERIOUS issues on our forward line. Maybe give Mitch Brown a go when Moons needs a rest. He broke his leg in 2009 so should be ready to go.
Mitch Duncan looked OK last season when he had a chance. So there ARE players coming through.

bunyip

Quote from: Cruiseon on December 06, 2010, 04:08:36 PM

Funny Ossie I reckon Mooney is developing into a bit of a liability as well. I really like the guy & I guess it depends on how Pods handles year 2.

Bunyip, what's your verdict on Ling and any transition into the forward line?
I think it will be looked at. I think they will have a good look at Lingy during training and the pre season.

MTTY

I reckon Geelong should go with 2 of Mooney, Pods, Hawkins and Brown and play 1 as the sub

bunyip

it will be interesting to see what coaches do with the "sub". It will have ramifications for DT and SC because they will be named in the team but may not get any time on the ground. ???

cookie311993

will be interesting to see what new coach does with team.

bunyip

Having looked at the comments in this thread, I think we can say that our concern for Pods, Moons and Tommahawk has been justified. Lingy has stayed in the center and is doing OK.
Menzel has been an adequate replacemant for Byrnesy.
Our key forward positions are a problem I think. pods has been unreliable at FF. I don't know what we can do about it. Tommahawk is probably still our best option at CHF.
I suggested on another thread that Trent West may be an option.
Or, maybe the big hairy cat will make me look stupid. I wouldn't mind. You don't just lose your skill overnight. If Moons hits a bit of form, problem solved.
The fact is, even with these issues, as far as points for are concerned, we still compare well with the other teams.