Main Menu

Overall vs League

Started by tom_scully, December 01, 2010, 11:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom_scully

I could hold my tongue no longer.

So many conversations about player x is good/no good because of the end of year byes/multiple bye rounds.

Seriously, who builds a team in SC thinking my biggest priority is to beat my 15 mates in a league rather than win 50k? (Other than cheats who make 2+ teams)

Junktimer

i think there is only a finite amount of variables between going for overall or leagues.  in my opinion, you can go for both, as i will be doing.

MajorLazer

There are some people, like me, who don't have a realistic chance at the 50k early on and focus on league, especially for money or against friends and family.

tom_scully

Quote from: MajorLazer on December 01, 2010, 11:22:21 PM
There are some people, like me, who don't have a realistic chance at the 50k early on and focus on league, especially for money or against friends and family.
I have to disagree, respectfully. If you have found a website like this and are willing to put in a little bit of effort, with a bit of luck you are a genuine chance of winning the OA. Where is the self belief???????????????????????????????????????????

MajorLazer

I am just going on recent years form. I'm not saying that I don't have a chance this year, but the last couple of years, I have been out of the running for overall from round 6-7.

tom_scully

Quote from: MajorLazer on December 01, 2010, 11:30:30 PM
I am just going on recent years form. I'm not saying that I don't have a chance this year, but the last couple of years, I have been out of the running for overall from round 6-7.
I hate them (not sure why), but do you think Collingwood started the year thinking "I am just going on recent years form. I'm not saying that I don't have a chance this year, but the last couple of years, I have been out of the running for overall from round 6-7.?

MajorLazer

I don't think Collingwood play SC. They might though. I get your point but you did ask who would just try and win their league instead of the 50k and I answered the question.

BoredSaint

league is more important for me :D have to beat my mates

hawk_88

Quote from: tom_scully on December 01, 2010, 11:42:44 PM
I hate them (not sure why), but do you think Collingwood started the year thinking "I am just going on recent years form. I'm not saying that I don't have a chance this year, but the last couple of years, I have been out of the running for overall from round 6-7.?

SC requires a lot of luck and a lot of that luck must come early. It is perpetual. Early success means greater price increases for your players which means more money is available for trades which means you trade in better players which will score better which means more money.

It is an exponential growth so the initial rate is very critical.

However there is one prize and 300,000 players. Now lets say that only 100,000 play with any serious level of interest. that means you have a 0.001% chance of winning and you will know very early if that is even a chance.

However, some people just enjoy the social aspect of the game (including myself). Friendly competition with mates. Bragging rights. Ego is a great motivator.

tferrier18

Most of my mates suck at SC lol...There's only 2 or 3 that are good/keep looking at it throughout the year so I have little motivation for league win.

Hawk - I think we have a better chance than that...Last year was the first year I took it seriously and came 15,000 or something. I made horrible mistakes like trading too often too early so I think it's pretty easy to improve on your overall rating. I'm aiming for #1 but realistically I think I'll come top 5,000.

This year, if you plan carefully, your chances will go up a lot!

hawk_88

Even if you say top 5,000 that is still 0.2% chance all things being even, which they aren't.

I'm not saying you can't enjoy overall, I am saying you can't realistically look at the prize money as your major motivator for playing. Playing for a high rank I get but without having two teams I can't play for both overall rank and league so league wins out for me. Damages my overall rank but as long as I win my leagues I am happy.

RiOtChEsS

overall at the start of the season but by round 8 il know if im settling for league

Cicjose

ossie85

Quote from: tom_scully on December 01, 2010, 11:14:31 PM
Seriously, who builds a team in SC thinking my biggest priority is to beat my 15 mates in a league rather than win 50k? (Other than cheats who make 2+ teams)

Seriously, who really thinks anyone is a realistic chance of winning the $50k? ONE person out of 400,000 people will win it, and the person who does win it will have a lot of luck on their side. I will say it on record now tom_scully - You will NOT win the $50,000. Neither will I. I'll say this to everyone on this site - NO ONE HERE WILL WIN THE $50,000!! And guess what? At most I will only be wrong one time lol.

Plus the bye argument is valid in either method. It hasn't been confirmed if the bye rounds will count towards overall rank or not.

It's like how people only enter the lottery when there is a huge jackpot. People have no understanding of odds!

jimmytigs

league from beginning to end,my team is selected with league in mind only.If i happen to be #1-#100 after rd 1 then i might have a bet each way,but the best i can ever remember being after rd 1 2009 was 1085th.Last year i didnt even look at overalls.Good luck to those that win it but chances are so low that i dont care.Was against a team last year in 1 league named wholelottashakin,they were in top 1,000 all year overall & scored 2000 + every week but they didnt win it & after being undefeated all year she lost the granny,no doubt through lack of trades at the end,its #1 or bust no glory or money in #2 but lots in winning your league.