Main Menu

Preliminary 2011 First XXII

Started by hawk_88, November 27, 2010, 09:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawk_88

My list will most likely change over the pre-season, but I find it is a useful fantasy exercise as it discusses who will and wont be getting games.

B: Ben Stratton, Stephen Gilham, Brent Guerra
HB: Grant Birchall, Josh Gibson, Cam Bruce
C: Clinton Young, Sam Mitchell, Chance Bateman
HF: Shaun Burgoyne, Lance Franklin, Cyril Rioli
F: Michael Osborne, Jarryd Roughead, David Hale
R: Brent Renouf, Luke Hodge, Brad Sewell
I: Luke Bruest, Jorden Lewis, Xavier Ellis
Sub: Isaac Smith

Just short (in order):
Max Bailey
Thomas Murphy
Paul Puopolo
Liam Shiels
Rick Ladson
Kyle Cheney
Brendan Whitecross
Ryan Shoenmakers
Matthew Suckling
Jorden Lisle

Note that my "just short" isn't ordered by talent, potential etc but rather how close they were to replacing someone in the 22 for a particular role.

What are your lists like?

Maca24

looks like a solid hawks unit. think your just about spot on with it.
so you think izaac smith will get a good amount of games?

Hawka

good work hawk will do mine then give u some feedback

bomberboy0618

Justin Bieber

Osborne I think is on the edge though ;). Not sure on Bruest or Smith at this stage.

Bailey could more than likely find his way into the team to backup Renouf. The sub position could be a doosey to choose ;).

bomberboy0618

the sub possie is a worry for me fantasy wise. Do u pick a player who definitely will be the sub and sacrifice the points or do u picka player who is more of a risk but if he plays will start on the field/bench?

Hawka

B:Thomas Murphy         Stephen Gilham  Ben Stratton
HB:Grant Birchall             Josh Gibson       Brent Guerra
C:Clinton Young                Luke Hodge(C)  Chance Bateman
HF:Brendan Whitecross   Lance Franklin   Shaun Burgoyne
F:Cyril Rioli                        Jarryd Roughead  Issac Smith
R:Brent Renouf                  Sam Mitchell       Jordan Lewis
I:Xavier Ellis  Brad Sewell David Hale
SUB:Luke breuest

Note: this does not include bruce cos he is not technically a hawks player yet but will be in this team after the draft

A Few Reserves for each postion in order
Defenders:Puopolo,Cheney,Shoenmakers,Ladson,Suckling,Milne
Midfilders:Savage,Shiels,Hallahan,Morton,
Rucks:Bailey
Forwards:,Osbourne,Lisle,Duryea
Haven’t done every player on the list.
But I am a little worried good depth in the defenders but it’s the other parts of the ground that looks a little chaky if a few player go down esspically a forward

A surprise omission in osbourne…if I have missed any one that u think should be in the 22 or the reserve list tell me coz I may have forgot them

hawk_88

Quote from: bomberboy0618 on November 27, 2010, 09:15:00 PM
pupolo might get games though?

Is definitely a chance. A lot of things can change between now and the season start. Depends how the Hawks intend to use Bruce. I personally would play him off half back but I have heard some rumblings that they intend to play him up forward.

Quote from: Hellopplz on November 27, 2010, 09:32:05 PM
Osborne I think is on the edge though ;)

Give our lack of genuine forward pockets I think he is pretty safe.

Not sure on Bruest or Smith at this stage.

Not 100% on them either. Will depend on pre-season form. Bruest is great but isn't a walk in yet. Smith is quick, mature bodied, and versatile.

Bailey could more than likely find his way into the team to backup Renouf. The sub position could be a doosey to choose ;).

The sub rule has thrown rucks into disarray. Hale will never play as the number 1 ruck, but I think he will be the first ruck picked in the 22. Renouf and Bailey will compete for the other spot.

As for Hawka's team, I can understand Murphy. Drops out for me with Bruce added. Whitecross for me makes too many mistakes to quite break the best 22. Osborne is still doing quite a bit and contributes more than Whitecross, the expectation is just higher because of what he has done (if that makes sense).

Rioli will be playing midfield this year so you can't really pick him for the pocket. Smith has genuine pace over a distance and has played midfield before. Hence I picked him for the sub. My logic for the sub pick isn't the 22nd best player, but rather someone who can come in, have an impact on the game as he is fresh and is a versatile player. Bruest is great but not that versatile player.

Hale will never play off the bench. The reason we picked up Hale was so that a bench position wasn't taken up by a ruckman to maintain our rotations. He will either be in the ruck or playing up forward. Expect him to have 100% TOG.

Hawka

hawk i dont see many flaws in your team justa few players i would change
QuoteWhitecross for me makes too many mistakes to quite break the best 22. Osborne is still doing quite a bit and contributes more than Whitecross, the expectation is just higher because of what he has done (if that makes sense).
i think osbourne took a step back this year and i rate whitecross very highly

QuoteWhitecross for me makes too many mistakes to quite break the best 22. Osborne is still doing quite a bit and contributes more than Whitecross, the expectation is just higher because of what he has done (if that makes sense).
Rioli was only named in the pocket because smith and him will rotate i think but rioli will see more midfield

QuoteHale will never play off the bench. The reason we picked up Hale was so that a bench position wasn't taken up by a ruckman to maintain our rotations. He will either be in the ruck or playing up forward. Expect him to have 100% TOG.

The bench players i named could all easily start i just happened to put hale there i rely doubt he will play 100% week in week out if he isnt injured

Junktimer

lock isaac smith on that HFF.

will be damaging from game 1.

Justin Bieber

See your point on Hale. Although I think he'll play mainlt up forward, could do back up ruck duties to Renouf. But he doesn't have the stamina to keep up for 100% TOG week in and week out. They'll probably end up using somebody else also.

Although I like Osbourne just saying he isn't a walk up anymore ;). For all we know, Bruce might even be used as a Forward Pocket. Guerra can even play there if needed (although I doubt he'll play much there next season).

hawk_88

Not that I have ever been Hale's greatest fan, but Chris Pelchen said he was recruited specifically for this purpose. I would imagine it will mean say a 30/70 split with the ruck work, and Hale's rest time will probably standing in the goal square.

The structure of 3 talls will be an interesting thing to watch. I imagine the idea is to break down team defence. You have Roughy and Hale spreading the defenders and Buddy roaming around half forward moving between 25 out from goal and the wing.

If they get the structure right (and now that Johnny Barker is gone it is more likely) it will be quite damaging. A extra man down back will be much less effective as you can have two strong bodied tall full forwards leading into each pocket. You can have your pick of the two, most likely whoever doesn't have a third man following behind them.

Cicjose

i liked John Barker as a player just didn't do enough leading and was injured quite a bit

BoredSaint

hawk_88

Quote from: Cicjose on November 28, 2010, 04:13:33 AM
i liked John Barker as a player just didn't do enough leading and was injured quite a bit

Loved him as a player. A rubbish forward coach.