Main Menu

MPP Theory

Started by Junktimer, November 23, 2010, 08:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tferrier18

Using mpp won't save you from byes, in fact the only way you'll get value out of mpp is by having a strong bench in all positions - obviously achieved by having bench players that play.

The best way to use mpp without sacrificing points (not including using goddard/hodge, since these players are amongst the best in the whole league), is to have 1 prem mpp and 1 bench mpp who plays. That way you don't have to have Chapman in your mids, but you can still move him there if need be, since you have a c/f rookie in the mids.

That said, I still won't be using mpp that much next year, I'll probably only use heppell if he's b/c (which he should be) and if Ablett is c/f I'll use him. I'm standing by what I've previously said in that having a solid bench will serve you well. Having an extra player in the bench this year helps this theory a lot though. Last year I rarely had both bench players not playing so having an extra bench player will be even better.

I'm not saying mpp is useless, but people that are using b/c, c/f and r/f is a bit over the top in my opinion (b/f is absolutely pointless considering there's nobody worthwhile with these abilities (waite is almost an exception)). I think 1 use of mpp and a good bench all around, coupled with some good initial pre-round 1 planning to deal with the byes will be enough.

benjy251090

I guess at the start of the year it is not essential but at the end of the season it could be handy for resting players before finals to downgrade your rookies to a basement priced mpp rookie

Junktimer

Quote from: benjy251090 on November 23, 2010, 11:31:15 PM
I guess at the start of the year it is not essential but at the end of the season it could be handy for resting players before finals to downgrade your rookies to a basement priced mpp rookie

couldnt agree more, the general strikes at finals time.

jimmytigs

have to see who are mpp when competition opens,as it is now petrie/tippett is ok because after sandilands really the rucks fall away so having either of these guys as 2nd ruck & say 6th forward is ok.There is no r/b options & i see no benefit in the c/f options at this point,no cheapies & im not having didak/chappy at expense of a swan,ablett,judd,boyd or even a cash cow rookie.b/f is the 1 i will be watching close,geartner,quinn,retzlaff,talia,& more to choose from if any are ready to go & c/b looks good also with goddard or hodge worthy of a midfield spot,but the key is where they are when comp opens,i remember licking my lips thinking of slotting andrew walker in the forward line as i mpp f/c only to have him be a c only & therefor be completely ignored.

Junktimer

Quote from: jimmytigs on November 24, 2010, 02:01:51 PM
have to see who are mpp when competition opens,as it is now petrie/tippett is ok because after sandilands really the rucks fall away so having either of these guys as 2nd ruck & say 6th forward is ok.There is no r/b options & i see no benefit in the c/f options at this point,no cheapies & im not having didak/chappy at expense of a swan,ablett,judd,boyd or even a cash cow rookie.b/f is the 1 i will be watching close,geartner,quinn,retzlaff,talia,& more to choose from if any are ready to go & c/b looks good also with goddard or hodge worthy of a midfield spot,but the key is where they are when comp opens,i remember licking my lips thinking of slotting andrew walker in the forward line as i mpp f/c only to have him be a c only & therefor be completely ignored.

i agree, its pointless to get duds just because they are MPP

MajorLazer

I think we all agree that MPP is more useful towards the end of the season and it's not worth losing 20 ppg just for MPP.

LiveTheDream

Every post so far is spot on! My plan at the moment is to start with the best rookies in each position, regardless of MPP, and then downgrade one later in the season if necessary so that i have one MPP rookie on each line, only as a last resort. Honestly the coaches who plan well aren't likely to have a 0 all year with the extra bench players   

bomberboy0618

Quote from: LiveTheDream on November 24, 2010, 06:35:08 PM
Every post so far is spot on! My plan at the moment is to start with the best rookies in each position, regardless of MPP, and then downgrade one later in the season if necessary so that i have one MPP rookie on each line, only as a last resort. Honestly the coaches who plan well aren't likely to have a 0 all year with the extra bench players
smart idea ltd, but then should u use the money to upgrade the rest of the rookies?

tferrier18

Yeah, I'll aim to include mpp some time after the half-way mark

MajorLazer

I plan to do the same. Probably won't start with too much MPP.

Junktimer

round 6 will hurt a lot of teams

Torress

building a squad with mpp links everywhere has some merit but the cons outweigh the pros. just gotta pick the best players that u can. deledio is a handy b/c like hodge and GOD. who are those teams that all have the bye in clumps, therefore they are classified as SC byes - swans, dockers ?????  pav is a starter, and thats just convenient when it comes to head to head. goodes barely misses games, and if playing more midfield 470k is a great buy.
i have to agree with a fair few comments about linking a prem mpp with a rookie mpp. that to me is good strategy. linking prems with mpp seems a bit silly. X.Clarke if getting games should be popular with a B/C at basement price. but as some have said, bigger benches really should result in adequet cover, we also have more trades. we should be right, i feel this will be an easier year  compared to others.