Rnd 11 - 14 disposals, 7 marks
Rnd 12 - DNP (suspened)
Rnd 13 - Bye
Rnd 14 - 20 disposals, 7 marks, 2 goals
Rnd 15 - 17 disposals, 8 marks
Rnd 16 - 28 disposals, 15 marks
Rnd 17 - 20 disposals, 7 marks, 1 goal, 8 hit outs
Rnd 18 - 26 disposals, 6 marks

13 games played for an average of 20 disposals and 7 marks.

Summary:

At 27 years of age, Michael Coad is as close as it gets to GCFC’s footballing Cinderella story.

Considered somewhat of a superstar in the SANFL â€" he finished second in Sturt’s best and fairest last season â€" Coad has been connected with a number of AFL clubs at various stages of his career, but until now no one had taken a chance on the supremely fit mature-aged utility. But just as Coad could have been forgiven for thinking his AFL dream had passed him by, the AFL rookie rules were relaxed to allow clubs to target rookies of any age.

He was invited to train with GCFC at the end of last season and his exceptional training ethic, consistent year-in-year out form in the SANFL, and more than useful versatility saw him taken with the club’s second pick in the 2009 AFL Rookie Draft.

At 192cm and 88kg, Coad is big enough to take on key position responsibilities and athletic enough to rotate just about anywhere else. He will be an extremely valuable addition to GCFC’s young and developing list.

Had a good VFL Season this year.

Crystal Ball

Based on m0nty's fanplanner: $87,500

Will likely be rookie priced.

Decision:

The one issue with Coad in my opinion is the GC Defence, poached recruits Nathan Bock, Campbell Brown, Nathan Krakouer and Jarrod Harbow, along with market man Karmichael Hunt, who you can almost guarantee will get games, VFL players Josh Toy and Sam Iles and gun draftee Seb Tape will make a spot in the backline very competitive, and it may make it hard for the journeyman Michael Coad.  In saying this, however, I genuinely think he will make the team come round 2, he just isn't a certainty, I mean, who is in GC?

I think Michael Coad's maturity, and our knowledge that he will take responsibility in the backline from round 2 makes Coad very tempting.  Rookie priced, m0nty reckons that this guy will be in "all serious teams next year".  I tend to agree.  The potential upside he has for a rookie priced makes him a definite shortlist for mine.

Will you select Michael Coad in 2011?

ossie85

That is a brilliant write up! I did not have him on my radar, but could seriously be an option now! Haven't decided on my GC backmen yet.

The Suns do have an awfully strong backline already though...

The Truth

thanks ossie, by the way, im junktimer if you didnt know, it got banned.

i think that even though they have a mature and strong defence, he should still get games as he had a good year in vfl this year and is one of their leaders

roo boys!

He is almost a lock for me now, I didn't know much about him but this sounds very promising! (could save a bit of cash on the backline bench too ;))

benjy251090

I will be selecting one of Toy, Coad or Iles in defence, not sure which one though, also interesting to see all the others I will choose seeing how many decent back rookies there are this season

The Truth

Quote from: benjy251090 on November 21, 2010, 02:44:52 PM
I will be selecting one of Toy, Coad or Iles in defence, not sure which one though, also interesting to see all the others I will choose seeing how many decent back rookies there are this season

yeah ill be probably going with toy and coad

Barlow 21

Quote from: The Truth on November 21, 2010, 03:54:17 PM

Me too! ;D

roo boys!

Quote from: Barlow 21 on November 21, 2010, 04:08:14 PM
Quote from: The Truth on November 21, 2010, 03:54:17 PM

Me too! ;D
Yep same, along with Mzungu

FLOPITOUT1

not putting cam richardson in roo boy?

The Truth

roo boys!

Hmm, I actually forgot to put him in, will try and change that soon ;)

BoredSaint

wait.. does he actually have a team atm??
on my shortlist if he does

Boomz

Yep GC BS :)

He is a big chance but its a toss up between him & Iles for me so it will depend on pre-season form.

MajorLazer

I think I will take Toy ahead of both him and Iles.

Justin Bieber

Another great write up Truth :).

Always liked Coad after watching him in the VFL this season. Had him locked in a while ago but will see if he gets games. If Brown moves up forward, opens up another spot down back ;).