Main Menu

Is Michael Clarke a knob?

Started by Cruiseon, November 04, 2010, 09:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiseon

For many year's I have thought Clarke to be a little too self confident, a little too public and most annoyingly would throw his wicket away at crucial times (ie last over before stumps). What really got up my goat was that he had long been annointed by the pro-NSW world of cricket as our next captain & you could see that it fitted nicely into his plans.

Personally I don't want the Australian cricket captain doing underwear ads, I don't want his very public love life being self-exploited only to end in tears when it all goes wrong, I don;t want him being the cause on in-fighting in the team, and I certainly don't want someone who emotionally gives up as he did last night when Sri Lanka come back for a great win.

Is it just me or do others agree Micahel Clarke is a knob?

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/north-a-captaincy-bolter-as-clarkes-popularity-wanes-20101103-17e2z.html?autostart=1

DazBurg

i agree with you Cruise
quite frankly i don't think his a very good captain
oh and on a side note i reckon the aussie team hasn't been the same since the great man Roy Symonds got his contract torn up
yes he did the wrong thing but his enthusiasm in the field and his batting could of been a big help tot he aussie

ossie85

I agree Cruise.

Clarke hasn't proven himself as a leader (yet). His form in twenty20 as Captain has been terrible, and I can't believe Australia lost last night. He seems to want the job because he wants the job. In fairness, Ponting is a bit of knob also :) Though he remains one of my favourite players and is CLEARLY the right man to captain atm.

Having said that, I'm struggling to think who else should be captian. North would be good, but his form doesn't warrant it. I'd be happy with Katich or Haddin, both have experience as captains, but they are both aging. Hussey is similar. Too much responsibility for Watson or Johnson, and the other bowlers aren't ready.

So if Ponting pulled out of the Ashes right now, I'd give it to Katich. But for the future? I can't see anyone else but Clarke. Hey, drop North and bring in George Bailey as captain, he's done a fantastic job at Tassie and must have been close last year :)

And Daz, Andrew Symonds was a liabilty to Australia. I'm glad he is gone.

DazBurg

Quote from: ossie85 on November 04, 2010, 10:07:45 AM
I agree Cruise.

Clarke hasn't proven himself as a leader (yet). His form in twenty20 as Captain has been terrible, and I can't believe Australia lost last night. He seems to want the job because he wants the job. In fairness, Ponting is a bit of knob also :) Though he remains one of my favourite players and is CLEARLY the right man to captain atm.

Having said that, I'm struggling to think who else should be captian. North would be good, but his form doesn't warrant it. I'd be happy with Katich or Haddin, both have experience as captains, but they are both aging. Hussey is similar. Too much responsibility for Watson or Johnson, and the other bowlers aren't ready.

So if Ponting pulled out of the Ashes right now, I'd give it to Katich. But for the future? I can't see anyone else but Clarke. Hey, drop North and bring in George Bailey as captain, he's done a fantastic job at Tassie and must have been close last year :)

Bite your tongue Ossie
no dissing the great man :P
yeah he was my favorite player :(

Fletch74

I'd have to agree with that. He was an absolute tool. He used the fame for the wrong reasons.

Agree Cruise, but like what Ossie said, who else do we have?? He didn't make enough changes last night. What about Cameron White as Captain?? Still young, has a good record for Victoria ;D

All the others are over the hill IMO.

DazBurg

Quote from: Fletch74 on November 04, 2010, 10:12:53 AM
I'd have to agree with that. He was an absolute tool. He used the fame for the wrong reasons.

Agree Cruise, but like what Ossie said, who else do we have?? He didn't make enough changes last night. What about Cameron White as Captain?? Still young, has a good record for Victoria ;D

All the others are over the hill IMO.
yeah i know he stuffed it big time and has no one else to blame but himself i do agree with your guys just i miss watching him play as he was my favorite is all

yeah go with White and how come he never gets a bowl?

ossie85

Yeah, Cameron White would be a good captain. Unfortunately he simply isn't a test player. If we want separate captains again, I wouldn't be against White being ODI and t20 captain.

Cruiseon

Did I mention that whilst there has been a huge push for many years for Clarke as National captain, this was never reflected (or trialled) for him being NSW Captain? Strange times.

Ponting is no great Captain but he has genuine composure & the respect of everyone around him.

Fletch74

Quote from: ossie85 on November 04, 2010, 10:39:49 AM

Yeah, Cameron White would be a good captain. Unfortunately he simply isn't a test player. If we want separate captains again, I wouldn't be against White being ODI and t20 captain.
Why couldn't he take North's spot in the Test squad. North doesn't really do much?

ossie85

Cos North is a better test batsmen and a better test bowler.

Remember Cameron White's Indian test series?

Boomz

White can't play test for shower.... Sadly. Agree about Clarke but what do we expect seeing as he's been playing under Ponting... ::)

BratPack

Quote from: DazBurg on November 04, 2010, 10:03:26 AM
i agree with you Cruise
quite frankly i don't think his a very good captain
oh and on a side note i reckon the aussie team hasn't been the same since the great man Ian Harvey got his contract torn up

Fixed that for you  :P

Justin Bieber

I don't think he is captain material. He was attacking his own teammates even though they were forced on their countracts. What captain attacks there players?

The Younger players wanting him in is no suprise ::). More gametime for them. Yay! ::). Let us lose another couple of series >:(.

Did anybody watch the game last night? Doherty did quite well in his limited time bowling. Why the heck wasn't he put on for more overs when nothing was working against Matthews and Malinga? Couldn't of hurt seeing as they were smashing everybody with Clarke included.

DazBurg

Doherty bowled his full 10 overs
what i'd like to know is why smith only bowled 3 overs going only at 2.57 runs an over

the commentators were saying perhaps he was injured

Hawka

CLARKE IS A HOPELESS CAPTAIN

The aussie ODI and 2020 captain should be white with haddin VC
in the test should be ponting for now and until he reitres i dont know who will replace him

but i have another point HILDITCH IS A KNOB[/b][/u]