David Swallow

Links:

http://www.footydraft.com/david-swallow/
http://www.footytragic.com/blog/gold-coast-kids/david-swallow/

Summary:

DOB: 19/11/1992, Height: 186cm, Weight: 83kg
Club: East Fremantle (WA)
Style: Joel Selwood

He has been described as the best number one draft pick that scouts have ever seen, and that is high praise indeed considering some of the number picks in earlier years, the only player who could possibly challenge him is Sam Day. He is an elite midfield prospect who could potentially be the best player in the competition, and he has no weaknesses in fact he is above average or elite in almost every aspect of his play. He has exceptional junior form, he was the Larke Medal winner as a very underage player last year and was All Australian and tipped as super prospect from a young age. This year his form has been excellent playing VFL and he has probably been the Gold Coast’s best player, along with Zac Smith, which for a 17 year old is amazing and just shows how much talent he actually has. As a midfielder he is strong, tough, skilled and just oozes confidence and composure beyond his years, as well as this he also has a strong defensive game, and almost always restricts his opponent to having little or no impact on the game. As far as his game style goes he has the perfect blend of ability to win the ball on the inside and on the bottom of packs, but also the ability to find the ball in space on the wing and take a couple of bounces, breaking the lines, and hit a target in the forward line. He goes hard at the ball and has a real competitive streak in him and he has good intensity around the contests. His tackling and work-rate are also real positives and he has got very good core-strength, and can stand in tackles even at a young age. He does have the body to play AFL from round 1 next year, although there is some development left, he is quite developed and may not have the ceiling of Sam Day, but I can’t see him not being a top 20 AFL player and possibly the best in the game at some stage in his career.

Athletically he is very good, there is no obvious weakness, and he appears to be above average in everything. Pace wise he is well above average and quick enough to break the lines, and he regularly uses it, and he can on occasions make clean centre breaks with his pace and speed off the mark, but he does not possess the elite speed of a Stephen Hill type player, but he is still very quick in footballing terms. He also has a good burst of speed off the mark and this gives him a bit more time to hit his targets. Agility wise he is also very good he is smart and can sidestep players easily and rarely gets caught without getting his hands free. His endurance is elite, I don’t know what he tests as in the beep test but I would estimate a 15, he runs both ways and pushes forward regularly and kicks goals which is impressive. All in all David Swallow possesses the all round athletic package and this will hold him in very good stead in the AFL, and will give him the necessary tools to become elite.

Skills wise David Swallow is very good, his kicking is good and his handballing is quick and powerful and he rarely misses targets. He is a good goal kicker, and could potentially become a 30 goal a year type midfielder similar to Ablett but perhaps not as good in that area, but he runs forward hard and finishes very well. His kicking is powerful and dual sided he reads the play well and hits his targets very nicely and he is smart about where to kick. As far as his technique goes he has a very good technique and he can kick 50m easily on both feet, although his left can be a bit inconsistent, albeit rarely and that is real nitpicking. His handballing is very good and he is creative by hand and hits targets nicely. He is also a very strong marker and is good in the contests and has the ability to play HBF and shut down an opponent and provide strong rebound, but he would be stronger in the midfield. All up David Swallow is the elite package he has no weakness and pretty much everything is a strength, I can see him becoming a superstar and he was the obvious choice for the number 1 pick.
He projects as a future elite midfielder of the AFL.

With a very mature body for his age and a high level of fitness he will also be more than ready to start round 1 for Gold Coast and is highly likely to be the clear pre-season favourite to win the 2011 AFL Rising Star.

As far as young midfield prospects go, David Swallow is the ‘complete package’ in terms of attributes and also one of the best performed under 18 players in draft history.

The Crystal Ball:

Based on price of last year's draftees

Price: $179,200

Based on m0nty's fanplanner

Price: $207,500

Position: MID

Decision:
I will be getting David Swallow.  Enough said.
Will you select Swallow in 2011?

benjy251090

same here, unless he gets injured, will be a star

CrowsFan

Very comprehensive write up. Will be getting him in my side too!

ossie85

That's a great write up!

Yeah, Swallow is definately the first young kid chosen.

But Ablett and Swallow in same midfield? Could get interesting

Junktimer

thanks guys, went to see him a few times in the vfl.  god he's good

CrowsFan

Well ossie he shouldn't really cop a tag with ablett there so should hopefully score well. Unless teams decide you can't tag ablett and so tag him instead

ossie85

Nah, I meant with the bye. Gold Coast have the bye and you have 2 zeroes in the midfield. Needs to be considered

CrowsFan

Yeah fair point. Don't think I will be selecting Ablett though. Especially since gold coast have bye round 1 that is a lot of money to have on the bench to start

McRooster

Premium write up JT  8)

Swallow locked.

Junktimer

Maca24

agreed fantastic work junktimer. swallow a lock  :D

Aidans Blues

DazBurg

Justin Bieber

Fantastic write up JT 8).

He's an absolute lock in no matter the price. Should be number 1 and for good reason. Looks to be a star like his brother and would make a great pairing in my midfield ;).

Master Q

From The Herald Sun Phantom Draft:

1. Gold Coast - David Swallow (18, midfielder, East Fremantle/Gold Coast)
Resembles: Simon Black (Brisbane Lions)

Hats off to the new boys, they picked this classy midfielder a year ago and were spot on. He’s a wrecking ball in tight and a beautiful kick in space. Finished fourth in the VFL best-and-fairest this year as a 17-year-old. Will have a big impact next season.