Is MPP really that big of a deal in 2011??

Started by tferrier18, October 09, 2010, 01:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tferrier18

I asked this question last year as well and I think it's necessary to ask it again...

Judging by the fanplanner's on 'rate my supercoach', everyone is regarding MPP to be of high value this year. Going back to the same idea that I suggested last year, all we're really doing if we use MPP is changing which rookies we use on a given week. Example;

Mids: Goddard, Swan, Didak (C/F), Foley, Swallow, Caddy (Krakouer, Libba, Wilkinson)

Fwds: Riewoldt, Brown, Rioli, Goodes (C/F), Waite, Pettard, Knights (Matera, Darling, Lamb)

Ok, Collingwood has the bye so Didak is out. We swap goodes with didak and didak goes on the bench in the fwds. Now we put Matera, Darling or Lamb on the field.
-Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see the huge benefit here when we could just use Libba or Wilkinson. Maybe if the bench stayed at 2 players MPP would be much more useful, but with 3 players on the bench we really shouldn't need to use MPP...? Unless of course you're one of those people who has 200k+ players sitting on your bench that aren't actually rookies.

Let me know what you think.

hawk_88

Yes. The value last season was in injuries. Not necessarily to select which rookies, but to even get 22 on the park.

MPP's value kicks in around round 12 when injuries and suspensions start to pile up. It allows you to avoid 0's and minimise trades.

Initially I didn't put that much weight behind MPP and it burned me a few times mid season. I picked up a few MPP in upgrades and it saved me in my prelim. I used it a few other times too but as it turned out I would have won those if I copped a 0 - can't always count on that though.

Maca24

MPP is a bit overrated like you said, it really is just swapping rookies.
it becomes important when the donuts start piling up.
i guess MPP is a way to avoid trading out. but i think it will be alot more important this year with the byes. so its not essential but it is handy.

Justin Bieber

I'll be using it but not overusing it. Still want players I really want in ;).

MPP for F/B and F/C should do it for me :).

Fletch74

Quote from: Hellopplz on October 09, 2010, 05:29:32 PM
I'll be using it but not overusing it. Still want players I really want in ;).

MPP for F/B and F/C should do it for me :).
Sums it up perfectly HP. Will have more focus on it this year, than last year.

ossie85

Massive, MASSIVELY important next year. Huge. Byes will be havoc

hawk_88

Agreed Ossie, was helpful this year but byes could cripple teams, even if you balance your list with players from a variety of teams, especially when you throw injuries and suspensions in there.

Getting players like Shuey, JKT and Gysberts stuck on your list will hurt more this season.

Justin Bieber

Barlow 21

I`m guessing tferrier 18 voted for GO Pies. ;)

tferrier18

Haha wasn't me, I forgot to vote for em...but I will now.

Yeah choosing the right rookies (playing and non-playing) will be pretty important this year.

But I think if you can have bench players on each line that are all in different teams to the starting players (Granted, this will be pretty difficult) then you shouldn't have to rely on MPP as much. Will have to make sure the rookies are all regulars as well...which is again, pretty hard.

tferrier18

Except...it is actually a really good thing that GC have the bye in round 1 because we'll all have 3 or more rookies from GC right...and since we'll be able to choose a healthy round 1 team then the gc rookies will be playing for the rest of the season after r1, which will provide heaps of security.

How many bye's does each team have? 1?

CrowsFan

tferrier18

Oh that blows...Yeah that definitely makes mpp and having players from every team more important...

Will still be good for the gc rookies though because their second bye would presumably be much later in the season

hawk_88

This is the AFL, you shouldn't presume anything with the fixture.

LiveTheDream

i think youre spot on saying that it only affects the rookies we play! at the end of the day people shouldnt be sacrificing higher scores in the midfield from the top midfield players just to allow you to play one rookie instead of another. i think the best way to use this strategy will be to have MPP bench rookies.