Main Menu

Interchange Changes

Started by valkorum, October 04, 2010, 12:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valkorum

The AFL has introduced the 3 bench and 1 sub rule.  I am glad that they have also thrown out the hit the post and its still a goal change.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/subs-on-bench-for-next-season/story-e6frf9jf-1225933825043

ossie85

The goal post rule was a stupid thought.

Anyone think that reducing interchange to 3 may increase the rate of interchanges? I.e. instead of an interchange every 90 seconds, they'll interchange every 60 seconds to get more players rested? Seems short sighted.

ossie85

What if two players get injured. Then we're back into the 'not being fair category' again.

What if a team substitutes someone who simply isn't playing well? Seems against the spirit of the game.

I'd be more inclined to have 4 player interchange still, and if someone gets injured, allow a substitute. The person that is substituted off is suspended for the next round (to avoid strategic substitutions).

Master Q

The Sub rule is so stupid, teams will cheat, it could turn into Italian Soccer  ::)

hawk_88

Quote from: Master Q on October 04, 2010, 05:05:41 PM
The Sub rule is so stupid, teams will cheat, it could turn into Italian Soccer  ::)

How will they cheat?

ossie85

The rule has been made for injuries, teams will exploit it to fix up poor match-ups, or extra legs

valkorum

Player come off with cramp amd they say it is a minor muscle injury and then sub the player

hawk_88

Quote from: valkorum on October 04, 2010, 09:25:15 PM
Player come off with cramp amd they say it is a minor muscle injury and then sub the player

You don't have to justify the sub. It is like soccer, your sub can be used at any time for any reason, but it is a once off. If you get an injury after you use your sub bad luck. No cheating going on.

Master Q

Well Hawk I think that isn't why they brought it in. They want to stop rotations and want to make the sub for injury purposes only.

hawk_88

Their motives are irrelevant. As the rule allows 1 sub at the clubs discretion. It doesn't require an injury so there will not be cheating though faked injuries.

As Hird said last night, clubs would most likely look to make the sub late in the 3rd quarter unless there is an injury or someone is having an absolute shocker.

hawk_88

One thing people haven't considered about this rule is that it will effectively kill the second ruckman. You will at best have a forward/ruck option to relieve the main ruck. That way clubs will still have 3 runners on the bench resting (aka the status quo). Worst still, the sub will allow clubs to run a single player even harder over shorter periods will the view of subbing them off - increasing the risk of injury.

Rubbish ill-considered rule.

Cruiseon

I agree.

Motives do not equal outcome.

I can thin of 20 uses which do not relate to injury.

hawk_88

As expected, the reason the Hawks recruited Hale was a direct response to the sub rule. Allows them to maintain 3 runners on the bench.