Ossie's Antelopes - The Making of

Started by ossie85, September 24, 2010, 03:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Hello peeps,

First draft of Ossie's Antelopes below from m0nty's fanplanner. Last year, like most, I went the rookie midfield theory, and no starting rookies anywhere else.

This year, in my first draft (which will change more times than Q posts), I've gone with the top heavy approach.

Observe:

Backs

Goddard, Deledio, Broughton, J Grimes, Hurn, X Clarke, K Hunt <D Grimes, Lisle, Retzlaff>

MPP

Goddard and Deledio allow me entry into midfield when required, and I've chosen X. Clarke cos he's damn cheap and surely, surely, will come good eventually. He is likely to not be in future drafts but balances out the team ok so far. Retzlaff also allows me into the forward line if I need back-up

Rookies

Hunt. D Grimes. Lisle. Retzlaff. I'm fairly happy with these 4 as I'm wagering all four of them will be given ample opportunity during the year. Leaves me with some risk starting a rookie, but surely one of those 4 will come good.

Midfielders

Ablett, Swan, Selwood, Foley, Swallow, A Krakouer <Houli, McNeil, C Beams>

Pretty happy with this! 3 awesome midfielders, Foley at very cheap price, with Swallow and Krakouer to be starts in 2011.

MPP

Houli I'm using as an extra backmen/midfielder, cos I'm sure this kid can play well, and with a new coach should be given early oppurtunities. McNeil should also surely get a debut next year, all reports say he was close this year.

Rookies

Swallow is meant to be a star. McNeil and C Beams also meant to be stars. Meant to, meant to......

Rucks

Sandilands, Clark <Day, Daw>

Not particularly happy with Clark as a selection, and could be the first to go.

MPP

Majak is shaping up as 2011's Matthew Lobbe if he is given MPP status.

Rookies

Daw and Day, can't really go wrong there I think.

Forwards

Chapman, Riewoldt, Goodes, Waite, Petterd, Petrie, A Hooper <Matera, Butcher, Talia>

MPP

Chappy, Goodes, Waite, Petterd and Petrie should hold me in good stead.

Rookies

Hooper should get plenty of opportunities, and I'm banking on the development of Butcher and Talia. Matera I just like the name :)

Justin Bieber

Looks nice.

I have Clarke in the midfield bench due to that MPP status. Allows flexibility early on for that just incase. Cheaper option than Houli who could be played on field down back.

Clark is still a little iffy in my books :-\. Not completely sold on him especially with Leu there.

Talia should get games next year due to some retirings and players moving to the midfield. Really like the looks of him 8). Butcher is a strong mark and I would like to see him play for Port soon. Both on my watchlist as I don't want to get Dixon and Matera in my forward line together.

A lower magic number has really made making teams fairly easy. Can fit in the big names with not much problem.

Master Q

Quote from: ossie85 on September 24, 2010, 03:59:15 PM
This year, in my first draft (which will change more times than Q posts), I've gone with the top heavy approach.

Hey! That's because no one posts on it, so I get no feedback! Plus, I haven't had the time to try the Fan Planner.

You should bring Zac Smith onto your bench, get rid of Krak and Hooper while your at it  ;D

DazBurg

i like it ossie for a first draft that team looks pretty damn awesome

Justin Bieber

Krak and Hooper should stay. Hooper will get more time next year with Aker, Johnson and Eagleton retiring. The Dogs need a small forward. Hooper fits the bill. Why else would he be called into a final for his first game unless there were sure he had talent. I'll likely get him as well.

Krak is a mature player and is reformed. At bottom price, not much of a risk considering he'll get game time no matter where he goes.

Master Q

Quote from: Hellopplz on September 24, 2010, 10:09:36 PM
Krak and Hooper should stay. Hooper will get more time next year with Aker, Johnson and Eagleton retiring. The Dogs need a small forward. Hooper fits the bill. Why else would he be called into a final for his first game unless there were sure he had talent. I'll likely get him as well.

Krak is a mature player and is reformed. At bottom price, not much of a risk considering he'll get game time no matter where he goes.
But are they good enough to be starting, that's the worry to me.

Justin Bieber

Krak could certainly start. Even then, could switch him with Houli on field ;).

Hooper is risky but don't need rookies to start liek Barlow. A solid 50 or 60 each week is good enough as they are there to earn cash.

ossie85

Exactly Hello!

Will see how it all changes, bound to be some gutter balls

ossie85

And a new version!

This is my 'all my eggs in one basket' team. Where I'm effectively forfeiting any round a certain team has a bye in, and heavily backed my team with players from one team. The team? Well, the 2010 premiers of course.

Collingwood players: 8

Defenders

The Starting 7
Goddard (M), Hodge (M), Deledio (M), Kelly (M), H Shaw, R Murphy (F), Iles

Now, I'm not entirely happy with Rob Murphy, and he will be the first player to go if I can rearrange the team somewhat. Like the team though, 5 back keepers already, leaving only Murphy and one of my 4 rookies to be upgraded.

The Benchies

K Hunt, Lisle, Retzlaff (F)

Still backing Hunt to get at least early games, and therefore be a cash cow at least a bit. Lisle and Retzlaff must've been close last year, and would back a quick debut from both.

Midfielders

The Starting 6
Swan, Pendlebury, Corey, Swallow, Krakouer, Liberatore

3 keepers (hopefully Corey returns to some form), Swallow and Krakouer should get plenty of games, and my 6th player is Libba (currently $900 short of Wallis) and is my clear weak link.

The Benchies
Clarke (D), Winmar (F), C Beams

Mostly picked for MPP convenience, being able to call reserves from Def and Mid will be very handy.

Ruck

The Starting 2
Sandilands, Jolly

2 keepers in the ruck. Locked and loaded

The Benchies
Z Smith, Daw (F)

Two young guns, with Daw selected in order to provide some handy MPP to bring in Petrie from forward line if required.

Forwards

The Starting 7
Chapman (M), N Riewoldt, Didak (M), Thomas, Sidebotom (M), Petrie (R), Matera

Sidebottom is my risk in that, like everyone hoping for Petrie. Weak 7th forward in Matera and could very well change.

The Benchies

Talia (D), A Hooper, McNeill (M)

Flexibility here, and quite happy.

MajorLazer

Sorry didn't see the first lines.

You've got 3 collingwood midfielders starting and you could get rid of one and put goddard in midfield fo mpp.
It also means you don't have to keep Clarke and can get a better rookie to start instead of libba jr.
I like the look of the ruck and forward line but again 3 pies in the forward line.
Could do Thomas for Rioli because Rioli could play in the midfield more next year.

I think that the strategy might backfire on you because you might play a top team in that week and you have forfeited it.

ossie85

Indeed it is a risky strategy, and a lot will depend on the draw (i.e. if Collingwood has a bye in the finals... then no. Won't be touching it).

Draw announced tonight! Will know more then...

LiveTheDream

honestly mate the first team is better without a doubt...the second team is a fail just waiting to happen. I just can't see 8 collingwood players scoring well for you week in week out, especially with the points for each game capped at ~3300

tferrier18

Definitely agree.

8 players from the 1 team is a bit ridiculous.

last season it was possible to have 4 tops, but the bye will hurt you too much.

ossie85

100% agree that the bye will kill it, and these are just fun drafts I'm doing until the long start of the 2011 season.

And yes, all 8 won't score great week in week out, but no 8 players will, regardless of where the team is from.

But yeah, probably won't do this method :)

bomberboy0618

yeah i think all peoples teams will change significantly by next year