Main Menu

The Bye

Started by ossie85, September 23, 2010, 08:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Most of us are thinking about limiting the number of players per team we have due to the bye.

But it got me wondering though - is this the wrong way to think about it?

Would it be better to stack your team with a bunch of players from the same team? Yes, you'd be effectively forfeiting one match for the year, but it would give you an extra edge most other rounds.

Take this for example....

Team A's midfield has Goddard, Hayes, Montagna, Dal Santo + 5 rookies from different teams

Team B's midfield has Ablett (as a Sun), Swan, Boyd, Bartel + 5 rookies from different tams

So in five different scenarios:

St. Kilda has bye: Team B wins most definately
Gold Coast, Collingwood, Bulldogs, Geelong have a bye: Team A has the advantage

Boomz

Its an interesting idea... I doubt many people would do it though. I might do something similar to this...

DazBurg

Quote from: ossie85 on September 23, 2010, 08:53:23 AM

Most of us are thinking about limiting the number of players per team we have due to the bye.

But it got me wondering though - is this the wrong way to think about it?

Would it be better to stack your team with a bunch of players from the same team? Yes, you'd be effectively forfeiting one match for the year, but it would give you an extra edge most other rounds.

Take this for example....

Team A's midfield has Goddard, Hayes, Montagna, Dal Santo + 5 rookies from different teams

Team B's midfield has Ablett (as a Sun), Swan, Boyd, Bartel + 5 rookies from different tams

So in five different scenarios:

St. Kilda has bye: Team B wins most definately
Gold Coast, Collingwood, Bulldogs, Geelong have a bye: Team A has the advantage
thats some good thinking there Ossie
u raise a very good point
some food for thought indeed

Justin Bieber

It is a good idea. But could go horribly wrong if Team A has a shocker ;). But shouldn't effect those players all that much :P.

I still prefer a mix in my players so won't be doing that.

Master Q

Quote from: Hellopplz on September 23, 2010, 10:32:30 AM
It is a good idea. But could go horribly wrong if Team A has a shocker ;). But shouldn't effect those players all that much :P.

I still prefer a mix in my players so won't be doing that.
Agreed. It can backfire  :P

benjy251090

during the weeks that 3 teams have a bye, there is no league games...

Nuffman

Wouldn't you hate it if St Kilda had a bye round 22?

ossie85

Quote from: benjy251090 on September 23, 2010, 12:16:23 PM
during the weeks that 3 teams have a bye, there is no league games...

Cool, didn't know that. Where was that confirmed?

benjy251090

i think the DT Talk boys said it, i think they were saying there was no 3 round preseason as such and there will be no games during the rounds where there are 3 byes, so as good a theory yours was, it wont work

Spite

It all depends on the draw. If Geelong have a bye in round one, then it will be fine to stack your team with geelong players (or trade them in) and dominate in the eliminator...

ossie85

Quote from: benjy251090 on September 23, 2010, 01:00:12 PM
i think the DT Talk boys said it, i think they were saying there was no 3 round preseason as such and there will be no games during the rounds where there are 3 byes, so as good a theory yours was, it wont work

My theory had nothing to do with which rounds had 3 byes in them. Not sure what you're suggesting?

hawk_88

Quote from: ossie85 on September 23, 2010, 02:21:07 PM

My theory had nothing to do with which rounds had 3 byes in them. Not sure what you're suggesting?

It probably supports your theory if anything. If you stack a team with players from a team who's bye falls in a round with 3 byes, you don't have the round with a disadvantage.

Your theory makes sense, only if everyone else follows the spread theory.

Master Q

Quote from: hawk_88 on September 23, 2010, 03:10:23 PM
Quote from: ossie85 on September 23, 2010, 02:21:07 PM

It probably supports your theory if anything. If you stack a team with players from a team who's bye falls in a round with 3 byes, you don't have the round with a disadvantage.

Your theory makes sense, only if everyone else follows the spread theory.
You can't say anything without knowing the fixture  :P You don't know any of it (besided GC aren't playing R1) so it will be hard to know which teams to go with.

hawk_88

Quote from: Master Q on September 23, 2010, 03:13:27 PM
You can't say anything without knowing the fixture  :P You don't know any of it (besided GC aren't playing R1) so it will be hard to know which teams to go with.

Hence why I said probably. It would have to be a side like Geelong or St Kilda that would have a favourable draw for this theory to work without forfeiting at least one match.

Hawka