Main Menu

Finishing Positions

Started by Elemenohpee, August 05, 2010, 07:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elemenohpee

Was just staring at the finals tree for DT this week and i thought to myself, what is the advantage of finishing first or second? I mean, 4th is basically finishing 1st, as they play each other. Maybe an incentive of say 50 points for 1st place when he plays first week of finals and give 25 points to 2nd place. It would be like a home ground advantage, which is reason why in the real world out there, you do strive for that top spot. Anyway, just a thought

ossie85

Indeed. I suggested something like this over here:

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,19107.0.html

And a lot of people didn't like it :)

I agree though.

Fletch74

Where would you draw the line.. 50 points, 100 points. Makes it too hard for the opposition! Does that mean the team who finishes 4th, who then loses should get a home ground advantage against the team they come up against in the next round...

Way too complicated IMO. This is fantasy, not real AFL.

thatguy

Quote from: Elemenohpee on August 05, 2010, 07:24:44 AM
Was just staring at the finals tree for DT this week and i thought to myself, what is the advantage of finishing first or second? I mean, 4th is basically finishing 1st, as they play each other. Maybe an incentive of say 50 points for 1st place when he plays first week of finals and give 25 points to 2nd place. It would be like a home ground advantage, which is reason why in the real world out there, you do strive for that top spot. Anyway, just a thought

I agree, and many of my mates are in the same boat, but how do you do it? i think there needs to be some incentive for finishing top 2, and again fifth or 6th

Blueboys

Been talked about ref ossie85 post!  ::) lol

Fireballz

Isn't the incentive for finishing 1st that you get to play the 4th ranked team? If you're first and they're 4th then that's an advantage coz you're supposedly 3 ladder positions better than them.

ossie85

Quote from: Fireballz on August 05, 2010, 12:15:49 PM
Isn't the incentive for finishing 1st that you get to play the 4th ranked team? If you're first and they're 4th then that's an advantage coz you're supposedly 3 ladder positions better than them.

But why would try to finish 1st when you can finish 4th for the same result?

In RL, the AFL has a home advantage...

valkorum

This isnt real life - this is FANTASY FOOTY

Play to the rules, you just have to finish in the 4 to get a second chance..... Simple

ossie85

Quote from: valkorum on August 05, 2010, 12:26:47 PM
This isnt real life - this is FANTASY FOOTY

So you'd be ok if suddenly they decided to have 15 instead of 22 players starting? If they placed no restrictions on the 'type' of players you selected (i.e. you selected 22 midfielders?).

The whole damn game is based on the real world, I'm not sure why we wouldn't want to make it as close as possible.

valkorum

If thats the way they wanted to go with it then thats the way you have to play.  They provide the game so they run it as they see fit.  If you dont like it, dont play.

I personally didnt like the MPP rule coming in to effect this season but I have used it to my advantage twice this season - its within the rules so I use it.

I dont believe in giving the 1st and 2nd place teams a point advantage (and I guess DT doesnt either) so how else can you represent the home team advantage?

Fireballz

Quote from: ossie85 on August 05, 2010, 12:25:10 PM
Quote from: Fireballz on August 05, 2010, 12:15:49 PM
But why would try to finish 1st when you can finish 4th for the same result?

Because if you finish 4th then you play the top team?

I really don't see the problem.

ossie85

Another problem with it is that it encourages tanking!

Happened last year, someone worked out they'd rather finish 2nd to play the 3rd team, than finish 1st to play the 4th team, and in the last round TANKED so they'd finish 2nd, which also screwed up the lower order of the ladder.

valkorum

Quote from: ossie85 on August 05, 2010, 12:53:21 PM

Another problem with it is that it encourages tanking!

Happened last year, someone worked out they'd rather finish 2nd to play the 3rd team, than finish 1st to play the 4th team, and in the last round TANKED so they'd finish 2nd, which also screwed up the lower order of the ladder.

Tanking is a part of the modern game as well with priority draft picks etc.  Although not this year or next year as all the priority picks go to GC and GWS.  So tanking is like the real game :)

ossie85

Not in the top 4 it isn't!

Fletch74

I tanked in my SC this year so I could finish 5th ( I was playing the guy who was 4th for 4th place). His win made him move to 3rd. Didn't want to play 1st place yet. He will win this week and I will play the team that dropped from 3rd to 4th this week in the second week. Now I feel I can meet 1st place in the final.

It's all Tactics ;)