Should there be a 'home' team advantage in finals?

Started by ossie85, July 07, 2010, 10:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueboys

Quote from: Torress on July 13, 2010, 01:35:21 PM
if this somehow actually happened ppl would be trading too much to finish top 4. i think ppl saying this is a good idea must be low on trades or something!!

points trades what every is got to be better then nothing!  ::)

enzedder

ossie85

Quote from: poita on July 12, 2010, 04:20:38 PM
Quote from: ossie85 on July 12, 2010, 12:54:45 PM

You get the 2nd chance and home advantage for finishing top 2 in the actual AFL. Yet in fantasy football there is no advantage to finishing 1st or 4th.

Is that like the home ground advantage that St Kilda would get for finishing second and playing Collingwood at the MCG, ie Collingwood's home ground?

Unfair, I know! I don't like that either.

Team finishes first 15-0, team scrapes into the 4 with a 9-6 record, and they are suddenly on equal footing.

Giving a home advantage would also stop people tanking in the final rounds.

WatsamataU

There is an advantage finishing first, u get 2 play the fourth team which shouldn't be as good as you. If the top four teams were even then wouldn't it be unfair if first and second got extra points ???

ossie85

Quote from: WatsamataU on July 14, 2010, 02:38:29 PM
There is an advantage finishing first, u get 2 play the fourth team which shouldn't be as good as you. If the top four teams were even then wouldn't it be unfair if first and second got extra points ???

Ah, then why in the AFL does the higher-ranked team get home advantage? Should they not be at a neutral ground?

Blueboys

Guess as long at you finish 1-4 then you get the 2nd chance!

As good as it gets!  ::)

Bonus cash would be good for coming first, say 500k!
Now that would make it more interesting for sure!!!

WatsamataU

QuoteAh, then why in the AFL does the higher-ranked team get home advantage? Should they not be at a neutral ground?

The higher ranked team should get the home advantage but thats not possible in sc. im against additional points because, if someone is fourth by "luck" and they r just as good as the 1&2 teams, then it makes it unfair for them. (as i said in first post). maybe sc and dt should change the structure of the finals to accomadate for the home finals rule

WatsamataU

i like the extra trades idea, maybe the top two teams get an extra trade for that week only

ossie85

Quote from: WatsamataU on July 14, 2010, 06:14:24 PM
i like the extra trades idea, maybe the top two teams get an extra trade for that week only

No, that wouldn't work, because it would mean the overall rankings would be screwed.

What if you don't finish in the top 2 in your other leagues? Not doable.

Dave085

If you finish first and lose in the first week of the finals and cant beat the winner of 5th and 8th you dont deserve a shot at the flag anyway.

WatsamataU

Quote from: Dave085 on July 14, 2010, 07:10:27 PM
If you finish first and lose in the first week of the finals and cant beat the winner of 5th and 8th you dont deserve a shot at the flag anyway.

+1 :)

Torress

its not hard to trade away and get urself on top (maybe not in a top 100 overall league) but in most leagues where ppl average 1800 - 2000 its a walk over so u don't deserve it in most scenarios - as that person can still be overtaken overall anyway during finals..
this idea sets the precedence for other alternatives to ''earning'' some points/money/trade - whatever. for example surely having the seasons highest score surely deserves an advantage rather than someone finishing on top of some crappy league??  this is silly no chance of ever occuring.
getting a gift takes the challenge and the honor out of victory anyway

ossie85

I don't think scoring the most points in a league necessarily means that that team is the best (usually does however). There are low scoring rounds, and high scoring rounds, so I like the percentage method.

Dave085

I dont play super coach but our dream team league is ranked 2010 of 43498 with an average score of 1933. Would be much higher if our last place person was not 4,500 points behind the next person  :P

I understand its DT and not SC however Im only ranked 6th in the league for points but top and a game clear of second place. I believe tactics play a large part in this and overall points dont count for much.

Ive had several games where ive played a weaker opponent and had injury problems... I knew i was playing a weaker opponent and waited till the next round to trade as i knew i would win. As a result i gave up some points but i believe that overall i am better off and will definately be better off come finals time as i have more trades and money in hand.

I did lose 2 games in a row before the last round due to this tactic but overall i am better off and will have a strong finish.

So in summary, i dont think overall points matter too much. If you believe in it so much maybe create a league where the wins dont matter and base the results solely on overall points...

Blueboys

Quote from: Dave085 on July 14, 2010, 07:10:27 PM

Last year I finished first! Lost my 1st game due to a heap of saints rested that week!  :'(

Following week the guy (my son lol)  I played pulled a mass score 2500+ Highest in our league for the whole year then lost this next final!    :'(

I beat every 1 that year and had no advantage finishing 1st for the final!
I even had trades but couldn't cover the mass outs from the saints.

I think you need to do whats best for your team, if it means you tank a few games to set yourself up with playing a weak team 1st round in the finals then so be it!

;D