How many trades left?

Started by Master Q, July 05, 2010, 06:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawk_88

8 left (7 after Barlow) - feeling pretty good about that given the injuries I have had to deal with.

_BoB_

Quote from: Colty on July 06, 2010, 03:45:00 PM
why in the world would you hold onto Barlow?? Really makes 0 sense. and I have 5 left, reasonably confortable. I think if your side is set, I think 3 trades should suffice.
Sorry but in my way of thinking you are wrong.  If you are playing for a league win and have coverage (which I am, and do).  Why risk trading barlow for another player who could potentially get an LTI also?  That would be two trades down the drain for somebody who may have limited trades to play with.  I have any easy run in my league from now to the finals so will just sit on Barlow until an opportunity arises to offload (e.g. a replacement drops in price).  Im my head, it makes Perfect sense....

Samm79

hawk_88

Quote from: _BoB_ on July 08, 2010, 08:51:25 AM
why in the world would you hold onto Barlow?? Really makes 0 sense. and I have 5 left, reasonably confortable. I think if your side is set, I think 3 trades should suffice.
Sorry but in my way of thinking you are wrong.  If you are playing for a league win and have coverage (which I am, and do).  Why risk trading barlow for another player who could potentially get an LTI also?  That would be two trades down the drain for somebody who may have limited trades to play with.  I have any easy run in my league from now to the finals so will just sit on Barlow until an opportunity arises to offload (e.g. a replacement drops in price).  Im my head, it makes Perfect sense....

The problem being you have almost 600K sitting on the bench doing nothing. If your replacement gets a LTI and you have no trades, you would still have the coverage you have now no? I can't really see an upside in waiting.

ossie85

Gotta agree. Trade him now

_BoB_

Quote from: hawk_88 on July 08, 2010, 12:39:13 PM

The problem being you have almost 600K sitting on the bench doing nothing. If your replacement gets a LTI and you have no trades, you would still have the coverage you have now no? I can't really see an upside in waiting.

Think you are missing the point.  Yes $600k doing nothing for now, but in the scenario I am talking about there is an easy run for the last few rounds(e.g. playing teams averaging 1700).  It's all about making your money work for you during the finals and not peaking before the finals if you know you are going to get there anyway....clear as mud?

Samm79

This is the way it seems a SC can benefit from it.

Lets say Bob, who really wants to win his league but has only left himself with one trade. Bob has Barlow and two non-playing spuds sitting on his bench. Bob will make the finals copping a donut in the mids.

If Bob trades Barlow to lets say (taking a recommendation from an un-named visionary) Bartel. Bartel breaks a leg before the finals, Bob is now copping a donut for the rest of the year and is essentially farked.

If Bob had waited and traded Barlow for the first round of the finals he has a greater chance of having 6 scoring mids for the finals than if he traded Barlow out straight away. Hope this helps.

rory

Who's Bob?............................. ;)

_BoB_

Quote from: Samm79 on July 08, 2010, 01:02:43 PM
This is the way it seems a SC can benefit from it.

Lets say Bob, who really wants to win his league but has only left himself with one trade. Bob has Barlow and two non-playing spuds sitting on his bench. Bob will make the finals copping a donut in the mids.

If Bob trades Barlow to lets say (taking a recommendation from an un-named visionary) Bartel. Bartel breaks a leg before the finals, Bob is now copping a donut for the rest of the year and is essentially farked.

If Bob had waited and traded Barlow for the first round of the finals he has a greater chance of having 6 scoring mids for the finals than if he traded Barlow out straight away. Hope this helps.

Well summised my dear friend....

Another scenario is also where you know your targat/replacement player will be dropping in price in a couple of rounds and you would like to benefit from this.  You bench barlow and trade when the player drops in price (barlow's prices stays stagnant so no risk of his price dropping).

_BoB_

And for the record, I have plenty of trades but know of somone in this scenario  ;D ;D

ossie85

Sure, a "friend of a friend"

hawk_88

If you have plenty of trades then your idea makes even less sense. That is 600K on the bench doing nothing. The only way to make your money work for you in the finals is to have it. You can make a LOT of money in 4 weeks and you are going to leave it on the bench dong nothing.

@Samm79 - The situation you described isn't that applicable. He has cover and has plenty of trades. If he didn't I would be inclined to agree but that isn't the case.

He could downgrade to someone on the bubble and make a HEAP of cash over the next 4 weeks. It makes much more sense than hoping for a hypothetical player to drop in value for a high value swap.

What makes more sense, betting of a premium player to significantly drop in price (a long shot) and making maybe up 50K in value if if happens or betting on a rookie to make 100K - 200K (more than likely) and then having a heap of cash to upgrade 2 -3 players to premiums.

_BoB_

Quote from: hawk_88 on July 08, 2010, 02:34:41 PM
If you have plenty of trades then your idea makes even less sense. That is 600K on the bench doing nothing. The only way to make your money work for you in the finals is to have it. You can make a LOT of money in 4 weeks and you are going to leave it on the bench dong nothing.

@Samm79 - The situation you described isn't that applicable. He has cover and has plenty of trades. If he didn't I would be inclined to agree but that isn't the case.

He could downgrade to someone on the bubble and make a HEAP of cash over the next 4 weeks. It makes much more sense than hoping for a hypothetical player to drop in value for a high value swap.

What makes more sense, betting of a premium player to significantly drop in price (a long shot) and making maybe up 50K in value if if happens or betting on a rookie to make 100K - 200K (more than likely) and then having a heap of cash to upgrade 2 -3 players to premiums.

Unfortunately you continually miss the point:

"Lets say Bob, who really wants to win his league but has only left himself with one trade."

The point is, this is for people with very low trades.

Again, yes I have plenty of trades so not applicable....."but know of somone in this scenario" is what I said.

And this is all in response to "why in the world would you hold onto Barlow?? Really makes 0 sense"

hawk_88

I don't think I missed the point, if you read what I posted I said in a scenario where you have few trades left, I agree that you could hold onto him.

However, I believe you said earlier that:

I have any easy run in my league from now to the finals so will just sit on Barlow until an opportunity arises to offload (e.g. a replacement drops in price).  Im my head, it makes Perfect sense....

In your situation, I believe that the opportunity to offload is asap, that is unless your "friend" is actually you.

reesbr