0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Justin Bieber

Quote from: CFC 1979 on July 05, 2010, 08:57:11 PM
8%

geez that low for Boyd - interesting
That's high compared to previous years ::). Go back to last 3 years ;). Used to be truely unique with not many really even considering him :D.

dcmagadia21

Prospector_1

Quote from: dcmagadia21 on July 05, 2010, 09:53:44 PM
Ablett, Simpson or Boyd?  :-\

The vote says Swan - what's wrong with taking the advice given?

Justin Bieber

He's already got Swan. His mids are Swan, Montagna, Bartel, Chapman, Barlow, Watson (from front page).

Think he did a general one for everybody.

dcmagadia21

Quote from: Prospector_1 on July 05, 2010, 10:04:27 PM

The vote says Swan - what's wrong with taking the advice given?

Yes I did a general one like what Hellopplz. I just wanted to know what people are doing for their Barlow trade and at the same time, me needing help for mine. I still can't decide who to trade so I placed Ablett, Boyd or Simpson. The factors that I'm considering is that if I'll go Ablett, everyone will go with Ablett (well most of them) too. So I want to be different to most DTers and get either Simpson or Boyd or maybe Hayes (whom only less than 10% of players have).  :)

Prospector_1

GAJ may get rested. That risk is not there for the others. On the other hand, he is at a good price atm.

Hayes is also priced nicely.

dcmagadia21

Straight swap Barlow for Boyd or GAJ (both almost the same price as Barlow)OR get Simpson or Judd (50-70k difference to Barlow) to save some $$$ and maybe use that money to further upgrade some of my players (Hall and Maguire)??

Still can't decide.  :)

Master Q

If you need a lot of cash consider Simpson/Thompson.

dcmagadia21

Probably enough $$$ to upgrade Hall to a gun FWD (most likely Boomer or maybe Didak) or to upgrade Maguire to a gun DEF (Kelly, Gilbee, Scotland, Mackie, Goodwin or might just straght swap him to Carrazzo).

dcmagadia21

I need the cash that I get from the Barlow trade to probably upgrade Hall to a gun FWD (most likely Boomer or maybe Didak) or to upgrade Maguire to a gun DEF (Kelly, Gilbee, Scotland, Mackie, Goodwin or might just straight swap him to Carrazzo).

Leaving me with 2 trades.  :-\

wooly

While I had planned to make my own post about this, I believe m0nty/prospector has disabled posting new topics due to the huge number of "who do I trade for Barlow?!" posts. Anyway this topic seemed the most logical to post my comments. So here is my advice regarding the Barlow trade:

1) Consider your situation and how it directly relates to you - this means you need to consider:

* are you playing to win the league or for a good overall ranking?
* how many trades do you have left?
* do you have any long term trading plans (i.e. to bring in Roo)?
* Consider multi-positional players and how they can best be utilised for your team, especially to cover for injuries at this time of year

Everyone's situation is different (hence why there are so many posts on this very topic) so make sure you consider yours and don't just read what other people write and take it as gospel (this includes my own advice :P).

2) When trading in a player consider the points above but also things such as:

* their injury history
* their teams position on the ladder and remaining schedule (i.e. are they likely to get rested? and/or are they likely to score well for the remainder of the year?)
* are they multi-positional?
* are they likely to get tagged and can they handle a tag?

And many other questions relating to the individual player.

3) Finally here is a quick breakdown of the players listed in the poll (again these are my quick thoughts and may need some more clarification):

Gary Ablett Jr
* Average: 121.8
* Remaining games (DT finals): Haw, Ade, BL, Syd, Cwd, WB, Car, WCE
* wooly's thoughts: One of the most obvious choices given his price, however there are a few things to consider. The last time he played a full season was 2007 and has played 18 and 19 games the past two years. Already missed a game this year and with Geelongs run home there is a good chance they have top spot secured early, meaning there is a good chance he will get rested.

Dane Swan:
* Average:121.6
* Remaining games: PA, StK, Rich, Car, Gee, Ess, Ade, Haw
* wooly's thoughts: In-form DT player in the comp, as seen by his price. The most obvious choice for me and a no brainer if you don't have him (and can afford him). Has played a full season the past 3 years and hasn't missed a game this year. Like Ablett he is super consistent and with Collingwood fighting for a top 2 spot he is unlikely to get rested.

Lenny Hayes:
* Average: 106.1
* Remaining games: BL, Cwd, Haw, Ess, PA, NM, Rich, Ade
* wooly's thoughts: Hasn't played a full season since 2005 which isn't all that surprising given his playing style (is it just me or does he always have a bandaid or heart next to his name?). Hasn't missed a game this year and after a slow start (due to injury) he has scored extremely well. St Kilda do have a bit of a history of resting players, but that was last year when they were well clear of second. I don't see it happening this year. May cop a tag but given his in-and-under style and gut-running ability it doesn't usually slow him down. Well priced and definitely worth considering.

Leigh Montagna:
* Average: 114.6
* wooly's thoughts: given his outside style of play he rarely gets injured and has only missed 3 games the past 4 years. Has a delicious run home (in terms of DT scores). St Kilda do have a bit of a history of resting players, but that was last year when they were well clear of second. I don't see it happening this year.  Thanks to Nick Dal and Hayes, he rarely cops a tag. Well priced and definitely worth considering. Next best option to Swan for the Barlow trade in my opinion.

Kade Simpson:
* Average: 106.2
* Remaining games: WB, Syd, WCE, Cwd, Ess, Rich, Gee, Fre
* wooly's thoughts: Similar to Montagna in that he plays an outside role for Carlton. Hasn't missed a game for 4 years and is relatively consistent. With a midfield of Judd, Murphy, and Gibbs he won't cop a tag unless the opposition coach is high. With Carlton fighting for a top 8 (and possibly top 4) spot he is unlikely to get rested. Keep in mind that he plays Geelong and Fremantle during rounds 21 and 22 which could affect his scores. Very well priced and definitely worth considering

Matthew Boyd:
* Average: 112.1
* Remaining games: Car, PA, Fre, NM, Ade, Gee, Syd, Ess
* wooly's thoughts: Seems to be one of the most popular choices and it is understandable why - he is extremely durable (hadn't missed a game for 4 years until this year) and consistent. With Cooney and Griffin (and to a lesser extent Cross) he doesn't usually cop a tag, however even if he did he has the ability to break it (similar to Hayes). He is reasonably priced and barring injury should play out the rest of the year. He would be my third choice behind Swan and Joey.

Joel Corey:
* Average: 100.6
* Remaining games: Haw, Ade, BL, Syd, Cwd, WB, Car, WCE
* wooly's thoughts: Typically a durable, consistent and often underrated player for Geelong. Prior to this year he had only missed 2 games over the past 4 years however he has struggled with injury this year and only played 5 games. Would be a unique but risky pick-up given he has struggled to get over his injury. If he is over his injury and it doesn't return I doubt that he would get rested for finals as Thompson would want to get his match fitness and form up. Very well-priced and definitely worth considering.

Paul Chapman:
* Average: 118.6
* wooly's thoughts: Very similar to Ablett in that he consistently scores highly however often misses 2-3 games a year due to injury. The last time he played a full season was 2006 and has played 16, 17, and 17 games the past three years (including missing games during DT finals). Already missed a game this year and with Geelongs run home there is a good chance they have top spot secured early, meaning there is a good chance he will get rested. Would be a risky pick-up and should really only be picked up to play in your forwardline not in the midfield.

Nick Dal Santo:
* Average: 102.6
* wooly's thoughts: Personally I would avoid him as he struggles to handle tags, however when not tagged he does score very well. Has a reasonably good run home and is quite durable (missed 2 games over the past 6 years). Better players around his price.

Brent Stanton:
* Average: 100.8
* Remaining games: Melb, WCE, NM, StK, Car, Cwd, BL, WB
* wooly's thoughts: I've had him since the start of the year and was rapt with his early form, but was disappointed with his inability to handle tags (similar to Nick Dal). Like Nick Dal, when not tagged he is a gun, but struggles whenever he recieves attention. He is very well priced at the moment but it's a flip of a coin as to whether his scores remain the same (70-80) or increase (100+). Personally I would avoid him, but at his price he may be to hard to ignore.

Jimmy Bartel:
* Average: 108.7
* wooly's thoughts: Consistent and durable, but in the same boat as Ablett and Chapman in that he is a good chance to get rested for finals (although he less likely than Ablett and Chapman in my opinion). Reasonably priced and definitely worth considering.

Scott Pendlebury:
* Average: 104.6
* Remaining games: PA, StK, Rich, Car, Gee, Ess, Ade, Haw
* wooly's thoughts: Can be a little up and down score wise, but relatively consistent. Has missed 5 games over the past three years, but hasn't missed a game this year. Often cops the no.1 tag but most of the time he is good enough to beat it. Priced ok, but I personally believe there are better options at similar or cheaper prices.

Daniel Cross:
* Average: 100.1
* Remaining games: Car, PA, Fre, NM, Ade, Gee, Syd, Ess
* wooly's thoughts: he is consistent but not a super high scorer (only 1 score over 120) due to his preference to handball rather than kick. Well priced and unlikely to get rested in the lead up to finals. Better players around at a similar price though.

Chris Judd:
* Average: 106.0
* Remaining games: WB, Syd, WCE, Cwd, Ess, Rich, Gee, Fre
* woolys thoughts: while not as great a DT star as Ablett and Swan, he is definitely worth considering. Has missed only one game due to injury since joining Carlton, however he had struggle with what appeared to be OP, although he appears to be over those problems now. After missing the first 3 games through suspension he started the year on fire, only scoring below 100 once over his first 7 games. His past 4 weeks however, have been ordinary DT wise for his standards. He regularly cops the no.1 tag, but most of the time he is good enough to beat it. A tasty option at his price and worth considering.

Hope all this helps :)

Note: If you would like me to add a player to the brief analysis above let me know and I will do so.

McRooster

excellent work wooly!

It must be you! ;)
I just posted another Barlow topic for experimental purposes, got through and then immediately deleted it.
FYI...
BratPack posted he was having issues down in the FB as well ;)

RyanV22

No Judd love?

Priced at $391,000 and is a champ.

Btw how much will Roo drop his B/E is 170 and priced at $445,000, will he drop below the 400K mark?

wooly

Quote from: RyanV22 on July 08, 2010, 06:47:33 PM
No Judd love?

Priced at $391,000 and is a champ.

Btw how much will Roo drop his B/E is 170 and priced at $445,000, will he drop below the 400K mark?

I was going based on the poll. I will edit the post above to include Judd (although someone else will have to include him in the poll).

I reckon Roo will drop below 400K. Btw am I the only one that's surprised they are bringing him back againt Brisbane at the Gabba? The ground is notoriously hard, meaning more stress is placed on the hamstrings. Doesn't seem like a smart decision to me.

Flame

Great post Wooly. You have confirmed my Montag thoughts..