Main Menu

Feeble Bombers??

Started by bunyip, April 30, 2010, 11:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunyip

If Hirdy wants to coach the Bombers why doesn't he have the guts to come out and say so. His article in the sun today is an obvious swipe at Knights. Essendon are not enjoying a good season, but teams like The Bombers, Hawthorn, North, Adelaide and 4 or five others who always finish in the top 10 of the ladder don't very often get top draft picks.
Essendon haven't got a center half forward or full forward at this stage and it shows. Neither has Carlton but half their team are top draft picks and they are able to compensate to a point.
Someone asked Bob Davis what makes a premiership team and he said luck. I agree, Geelong have done well with the father son rule, and also some of our late draft picks have been great (Chappy). So it is possible to succeed without high draft picks. But you need luck.
I get annoyed with journalists that turn on coaches because a team plays poorly one game. There is no doubt in my mind that they cause coaches to get sacked because of the constant UNINFORMED criticism.
Hird is trying to motivate the players by using his column, I wonder why he feels he has to. He should just leave the coaching to Knights.
I'm sorry if these rantings seem somewhat chaotic, but I do get annoyed sometimes by these so-called experts.
Leave the coaching to the coaches and just report on events Hirdy!

valkorum

I actually didnt mind the article as I feel it is more a dig at the players than at the coach.  Maybe if the players read that they might think about the Red and black shirt they get to put on each weekend and put in the effort that previous players who wore the jumper before them (like Hird, Harvey, Wallis etc)

Hird is a legend of the Essendon football club and maybe players may read what he has written and lift.

valkorum

Looks like Jobe Watson has seen it for what it is - A kick in the pants for the bombers players to lift their game

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/james-hirds-words-to-motivate-bombers-jobe-watson/story-e6frf9jf-1225860736303

bunyip

It may have been a double edged sword. Motivation for the players and a jab at Knights

Pav29

It would probaably be hard for Hird to leave the club on a reasonably high note with so many good memories and then just see the team slow down in progress. They do have a young team but they need players like Ryder to stand up so they become a more developed team.