Main Menu

Worst trades in AFL history

Started by chosch, April 21, 2010, 02:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chosch

What trade's in AFL's short history have been considered the worst???
I reckon the amount of effort freo put into grabbing des headland and the return they've seen put's the trade right up there in contention.

What are some others?

ossie85

Fremantle traded picks who turned out to be Luke Hodge, Sam Mitchell and Daniel Elstone for Trent Croad and Luke McPharlin. Only for Croad to go back to Hawthorn and win a flag in return for Ryley Dunn.

That's a fail IMO

valkorum

I agree the trade debarcle to get Croad and then offload him were terrible.

richgo

I'd say Lovett for a first round pick would go close to the worst ever

Bluke

Only because the Saints sacked him.

Whatever happened to the presumption of innocence? 

ossie85

Quote from: Bluke on April 21, 2010, 07:50:10 AM
Only because the Saints sacked him.

Whatever happened to the presumption of innocence?

Whatever happened to listening to your coach and teammates and not going out after his curfew?

Bluke

Name a player who has been sacked for breaking curfew? Lots of suspensions I will admit.

I'm a firm believer that these players are not role models, should not be held in such regard and make human mistakes. Just like you and I. I'm not justifying his (in)actions. But the egalitarian presumption of innocence is the backbone of our legal system. I don't like to see football clubs and the media usurping this core ideal.

[edit] Sorry for hijacking the thread. Back on topic. Freos trades must be up there. The Croad trade probably takes the cake, but there have been so many! Headland, Modra, Farmer, Johnson. So much potential, all washed up.

valkorum

Hey Bluke don't forget the Josh Carr double trade debauchery.  I remember everyone of them and have felt the pain from all of those trades.  Loving the more recent trade moves we have made and looking forward to the benefits in a few years time.

CFC 1979

Lovett without a doubt

no games , sacked and backwards @ 1 000 000 in cash

well done ross lyon :P

valkorum

Quote from: CFC 1979 on April 21, 2010, 12:17:35 PM
Lovett without a doubt

no games , sacked and backwards @ 1 000 000 in cash

well done ross lyon :P

Dont forget the bad publicity as well

gerco

Fremantle traded Andrew McLeod for Chris Groom before the start of the 1995 season. 

Also I'm pretty sure Sydney traded or sold both Longmire and Carey to North Melbourne for next to nothing in the late 80s

(for just 60k for Longmire and 10k for Carey according to http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/chasing-down-the-kangaroos/story-e6frexx0-1111117383317)

Bluke

The Fremantle talent scouts certainly have done their jobs well the last couple years.

bunyip

Getting your trades right is so important, and can go horribly wrong. Look at Richmond and Melbourne. Fremantle have got it right the last few years, but it's been an expensive lesson. Melbourne haven't done too bad I spose. I still don't know if Jack Watts will be a winner. I  hope for Melbourne's sake he comes good

ossie85

Quote from: Bluke on April 21, 2010, 10:54:34 AM
Name a player who has been sacked for breaking curfew? Lots of suspensions I will admit.

It's a fair call, but Barry Hall got sacked for breaking team rules, Ben Cousins also, Rhyce Shaw and Chris Tarrant were traded, and lets not forget Brendan Fevola.

Lovett was clearly told what was expected of him, and literally that very night broke the rules and (guilty or not guilty) put himself in a horrible position.

Quote from: Bluke on April 21, 2010, 10:54:34 AMI'm a firm believer that these players are not role models, should not be held in such regard and make human mistakes.

I agree that they shouldn't be role models, but I don't think you can deny that they are. In my current public service work contract, I'm expected to abide by the Australian Public Service code of conduct. So if I embarrassed myself publically, I'd get sacked also. The only difference is the AFL players get paid more than I do, and yes, they do get more media scrutiny. But AFL is a business, and the players aren't just hired for the football ability, they are also hired to represent the club and make them money through good PR.

Quote from: Bluke on April 21, 2010, 10:54:34 AM
Just like you and I. I'm not justifying his (in)actions. But the egalitarian presumption of innocence is the backbone of our legal system. I don't like to see football clubs and the media usurping this core ideal.

I agree with your comment about the media. But the football clubs make money through public perception, and Lovett is guilty of breaking team rules, I don't think that is in question.

Consider this thread hijacked.

Bluke

No doubt, he broke team rules. But for a first offence you could expect a club imposed suspension something like Stokes or Connors received. The Saints instead sacked him, presupposing his guilt. Tainting not only the Media's perception of the case, but the jury pool as well.

Bad call on behalf of the Saints IMO and they have only themselves to blame. They will have to pay him out eventually, and theres every chance he will get off and then get re drafted (Nathan Kraukour is tearing it up in the WAFL, wonder if any club would be willing to take a punt on him with GCFC coming in next season)

(Did they sack Milne and Montagne back in 04? Double standard?) 

Barry Hall, Ben Cousins, Fev, are all serial offenders.

I guess we will wait and see if Cousins or Hall slip up significantly and the Dogs/Tigers response.

QuoteI agree that they shouldn't be role models, but I don't think you can deny that they are.

I do agree.

=)