Monetary gain in a trade?

Started by numberwang, April 06, 2010, 02:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

numberwang

With all this talk of early trades, I'm curious to know what other people think on the following question:

How much of a monetary windfall (TO YOU) justifies a trade?
Obviously it depends on circumstances a lot of the time but what...20K? 50K? 100K?

Prospector_1

Quote from: numberwang on April 06, 2010, 02:48:44 AM
With all this talk of early trades, I'm curious to know what other people think on the following question:

How much of a monetary windfall (TO YOU) justifies a trade?
Obviously it depends on circumstances a lot of the time but what...20K? 50K? 100K?

I have been wondering myself. It's kinda like trying to determine the $$$ value of a trade. So, I can make this $$$, or keep a trade.

I think it needs to be more than $100K. Maybe 150 - 200 or better?

numberwang

I was thinking 100-120K.

Very confusing when you hear of trades being made and they only stand to make an extra 50K when the revised prices come in and on a player that has only had 2 games to prove themselves.

Justin Bieber

i try to make sure i get a good 150k from the deal. either upgrade or downgrade for me. no sideways otherwise thats a waste.

hoping not to use a trade this round unless gray isn't named.

Bluke

I'm thinking if I do decide to trade th is week it will be Clark to Seaby wich nets ~184000 then I can either save that for upgrading rookie mids, or spend 100,000 to upgrade tippett to J Brown so saving about ~80,000 for rookie upgrades.

So my reasoning is I pull i tidy profit, upgrade an underperforming KPP in an underperforming team to an in form premium in an in form team. Jono brown only needs a 34 next week to breakeven so I stand to make money on him this week.

As for Seaby, well I feel he has assumed to dominate ruck role in a resurgent team. Darren Jolly became a successful ruckman for the Swans after being traded in (and is now struggling after leaving but thats maybe irrelevent). I had the opportunity to watch Seaby play for the WCE and in a number of WAFL games. He is only ~26, his body is in good condition and he was understudy to the premier ruckmun of the compitition for 4 odd years. I think he is finally getting the opportunity he deserves at the Swans and he will make the most of it. He will also earn a tidy profit after this round (barring injury).

So, my logic is that I get 1 proven premium, 1 potential premium ruck and ~80,000k out of the trade for rookie upgrading. At the expense of using two easly picks, leaving me with 18 at rd, 3. I have no injuries at this stage so I'm willing to take the risk.

valkorum

I think the ideal trade time is when the player you are trading out is no longer going up in price.  You want to keep the player as long as you can and maximise the $$$

This normally equates to somewhere between $100k - $200k for rookies (depending on DT ability)

Bluke

Oh, and I already have Sandilands on my list as a genuine prem ruck

valkorum

@Bluke

I must admit I have put in some thought about the Clarke to Seaby trade this week, but Clark hasnt had the ideal conditions for scoring

Rd 1 - had the flu (apparently threw h is guts up before the game and was nearly a late replacement)
Rd 2 - 5 day turnaround

Bluke

Indeed, and then there is the Berger factor. I'll be honest and say i'm not prepared to take the hit from the initial price drop Clark is sure to take after he comes way short of his ~200 breakeven. Tippett was always a risk and i'm sure he will come good by seasons end but the chance to grab J Brown early is just to enticing.

valkorum

Its definitely a hard choice (about Clarke), but I hate making trades this early in the season.  If possible I would suggest that just the 1 trade of Tippet > Brown, but you prob need the downgrade cash from Clarke > Seaby to make that happen.

Bluke

Yep, hence my dilema.. But the more I think about it. The more I like it...

Master Q

I'm going to get rid of barlow at like round 9, everyone will have him and i would have made serious dough.

valkorum

But Barlow may be one of the highest scoring midfielders by then

Master Q

Val, When there are 5 people standing next to each other, do you just look at the one in the middle?