6 Rookie Mid Team: 2078 Round 1

Started by jr0ck88, March 31, 2010, 12:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jr0ck88

Ok so for my second team I went with my entire midfield full of rookies (Trengrove, Scully, Shuey, Barlow, Bastinac, Howlett, Martin, Banner), and went premiums in every other position (with the exception of Dangerfield in my forward line, Malceski in my DEF, and Hille as my second ruckman). I knocked out a 2000+ score (like most of you) and have 400k in the bank.

Really, 5 or 6 downgrades and 5 or 6 upgrades after round 11, with 8-10 trades leftover to cover injuries, and this team could be something marvellous, agree?

valkorum

I was thinking about this strategy, but then decided I wanted a lock n load captain, so I went with 5 mids and Bartel

Slashers

Agree. You could fly home. Depends on how much ground you have to make up. A lot of teams are already 300-400 points ahead after round 1. Seems to be a unique season for mid rookie guns, will be a fun team to coach.

Probably still has several captain options in Defence and Forward.

walks23

i agree with slashers. you could be onto something and theres no doubt you have captain choices with the likes of roo, rok and a few premium backs.

jr0ck88

Thats the biggest pain in the arse, picking a Captain. Went with Chapman last week, Roo was VC. Going Roo this week with Goddard VC. thinking Saints will mop up the Roos this week. Having said that, would anyone call me crazy for giving a certain anchor-wearing second gamer the Big C?

valkorum

That would be a ballsy move picking Barlow as captain.  it will either fall flat in your face or you will be the toast of the town.

If I was going to do that, I would wait for a home game.  Our history at Etihad against the bombers aint that great (0 - 8), but I do believe it will soon be (1 - 8)

Flame

Got to say so far so good with the rookie strategy!! Just hope injuries don't stuff it up!!

valkorum

@ Flame.  Or the Dean Laidley effect.... maybe cos he is still a coach it can still be passed around like a viurs.  I hope not :P

Flame

Yep..very true..didn't think of that..and I have banner too!!

elephants

i did the same thing with a score of 2105
i had chappy as captain and hitchCOCK covering for buddy
worked okay

reconfig

you do realise having 2 teams makes you ineligible to win prizes

daddsy404

my 6 rookie mids team got me a solid 2117, with goddard captain and hitchcock on the field for franklin, so a huge upside i reckon, could be getting a 2150 average by the end of the season fingers crossed

Cheez79

its not that its a bad strategy, its just that using it you will not win. sure you might come home well, you might win your league, but surely this is about getting into the top 50, or top 3 and winning a car. If you look at most top teams this week they all had swan, bartel and ablett and I am starting to think that I have already missed the boat even though I have 4 premiums in my midfield, add to that friggin gumbleton.

Hawks_1976

I considered this strategy but DT scoring is heavily favoured to midfielders.
While I agree that most cash cows exist this year in the mids, I don't want to be missing out on the big scores ( and captain options ) from R1.

So I loaded heavily into the midfield and forwards ( backline is weak ) and pulled 2303 in the first week.

Blueboys

A guy in my league has 11 rookies starting on the field! Even with the 20 trades no way he can get prem players out of all of them, incl injuries and finals thats got to be way too many rookies starting on the field... ::)