Stupid Question

Started by andys, March 28, 2010, 03:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andys

Hey guys,

First year playing Dream Team, from America so i'm still a beginner fan with footy as a whole let alone DT.

What's the weekly target score, around 2000? I'm on track for 2,043 this week at this rate.

MissPies

IMO anything from 1900-2100 is good average, and congrats on following AFL..do you get any coverage there?
When I won round 2 weekly winner in DT my score was really high. But my overall average was around 2000 staying in the top 1000 always.

Also asking you a question back. How did you come across our all out Aussie AFL? Just curious

PS. It is not a stupid question at all :)

Meister21

Anything over 2000 is good but if you want to win you really want to average 2100 plus!!!! Good Luck, use your trades wisely.

nas

Don't waste your trades & log on & people here will try & steer you in the right direction.

LA gives coverage now & again. Hope Hawaii does as have the unfortunate problem of going over for a week in April. :D

Be looking around frantically for a Internet Cafe besides being down the beach.  8)

andys

Thanks guys,

I screwed up on David Myers, but I got 86 from an emergency, so I guess it won't hurt me too much this week.

There is zero coverage of Australian Rules Football in the United States, I try to explain it to people as "Rugby+Soccer+Basketball"

I have the general gist of the rules, but I think i've seen like one or two games ever and they were recaps. It seems very exotic, and thus interesting. Plus I can't find a good fantasy baseball league and my NCAA brackets have been shot to hell.

I think the average American has zero clue regarding what exactly Aussie Rules is, I tried watching a game on the AFL site, but was unable to.

Football to us is what you guys call gridiron (I think), what the rest of the world calls football we uniformly call soccer, and it's generally considered a kid's game.

To be honest, I was really surprised when I learned more about the AFL and found there were so many teams in Melbourne. I guess that comes from the Melbourne vs Sydney rivalry set in Australia's history (Sydney seems to have too many Rugby teams), there isn't really any comparable "regional" sports here in the US, the closest comparisons would probably be hockey (generally in the northeast) and NASCAR (generally in the southeast), but they are not nearly as concentrated in those regions as footy is in Melbourne or league rugby is in Sydney.

Last year I did a story on Dream Team for a website I work for on the side. Sounded like fun, so I figured i'd keep it in mind when the season came around.

Meister21

Any help you need feel free to ask, but you just have to decifer who knows what they are talking about. About 30 % of people know what they are doing and 70% think they know what they are doing. And remember even the people who know what they are doing can still make many wrong decisions!!!

Big Lance

Football originated in the southern states and the AFL was born of the VFL (Victorian Football League) which explains the concentration of Melbourne teams. AFL is massive throughout Australia but is religion in Vic, SA, WA and Tassie.

AFL is also the most attended spectator sport in the world, bar none, and absolutely dominates the Australian sporting scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86NoZmzv-dY

Slashers

Aussie Rules football is the best sport in the world! If you love footy, its what the weekend is all about. As well as the national AFL competition many of us have friends or family that play local footy too (grass roots football). AFL is awsome to watch live at the ground and on TV. Our athletes are extremely fit, they have to be able to take the hits and last the season out. No pads, no offensive/defensive teams, no bulls#*t. Its a bummer you can't watch games in the US. We have to put up with loads of NBA and NFL!?!
If you ever visit, make sure its during football season and go see a game.

andys

Quote from: Big Lance on March 28, 2010, 04:46:52 PM
Football originated in the southern states and the AFL was born of the VFL (Victorian Football League) which explains the concentration of Melbourne teams. AFL is massive throughout Australia but is religion in Vic, SA, WA and Tassie.

AFL is also the most attended spectator sport in the world, bar none, and absolutely dominates the Australian sporting scene.

1. No, the AFL isn't even in the same league when it comes to the big 4 American leagues in terms of attendance. The NBA and NHL have about three times the annual attendance of the AFL, and Major League Baseball has about 12 times the annual attendance.

Those comparisons are slightly unfair though since those three leagues have far more games, but the NFL, which has about as many games, also has three times as many annual attendees to their games.

Only the World Cup and possibly the Olympics surpasses the Super Bowl in terms of global sports notoriety. The AFL Grand Final is completely unknown in comparison in the US.

#2. Yeah, I realize it started in Melbourne, but what I don't get is why it stayed there for the most part (minus the Southern Australian and Western Australian leagues merging with the VFL in the 1990s).

There haven't really been any borders to the spread of domestic sports in America like the Barassi Line has been in Australia

Big Lance

Alright the NFL beats it but thats all for average per game. I must have heard per capita or something.

Anyway
1. NFL - 68,240
2. IPL (Cricket)- 58,000
3. Bundesliga - 42,565
4.AFL - 38,295
5. EPL - 36,076
6. MLB - 32,539
7. CFL - 29,206
8. La Liga - 29,124

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_attendances

So really, NFL and IPL are a bit ahead of the rest.

The SANFL and WAFL didnt merge just the VFL teams became the AFL (VFL still exists) and took teams from other states. Someone else could probably explain it better.

Also, AFL GF attendance 99,251
Superbowl XLIV 74,059

Stadium size is obviously going to determine that though.

Lance Franklin kicks 100th goal for season 2008, Rnd 22 vs Carlton

andys

Yeah, it's an apples and oranges thing. Hockey and Basketball arenas are about a quarter of an AFL or NFL stadium, and the average Baseball stadium is about half the size of an AFL or NFL stadium (although this has changed since the trend to retro stadiums beginning in the 1990s)

Plus there are the population differences between the US and Australia, although Melbourne and Sydney would be considered "Large Markets" if they were transplanted into the US with the populations they have now.

And yeah, it's completely arbitrary with the Super Bowl, they've had a few over 100,000. They could probably hold it in a 200,000 seat stadium and probably sell it out, I haven't checked but I can almost guarantee you that Super Bowl tickets cost more than Grand Final tickets.

ossie85

4th is fricken awesome really

Pravis

Welcome andys, Ill try and find where some games maybe hosted for you to maybe stream. Ill pm u through this site and let you know how i go.

Big Lance

Wow let me know where i can stream games, TV reception in the country sucks.

Pravis

I'll pm you lance. mOnty doesn't like links posted in the forums.