Colley Dogs 2020 Team thread

Started by Colley Dogs, February 11, 2020, 10:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colley Dogs

Team going into 2nd half of Marsh 1:

Def: Sicily; Houston; Docherty; Roberton; Zerk-Thatcher; Brander (Starcevich; Gould)

Mid: Macrae; Cripps; Mitchell; Bontempelli; Oliver; Rowell; Stephens; Pickett (McHenry; Warner; Budarick)

Ruc: Grundy; Gawn (Xerri)

For: Martin; Petracca; Ceglar; Bonar; Hill; Georgiadis (King; Frederick)

Bank: 7.4K

Rookies will dictate things from here; following that, making a decision re Gawn.

If I don't go with Gawn, I'm getting on the Sauce train:
Gawn - Jacobs
Starcevich/Gould - Laird

Both structures: 13 Keepers / 21 trades to complete

RaisyDaisy

Your side is extremely similar to mine!

I too have 3 def prems, Robbo at D4, 180-200k rookie at D5 and Starcevich/Brander/Gould

I also have 5 prem mids, Rowell at 6, 160-190k mid at 7 and Pickett at 8

GG Rucks

Dusty at 1, Bonar at 4, Hill at 5 and 3 rookies at 6-8. 2 of Ceglar/TMac/Steven/Dev will be my F2 & 3

Crazy similar, so I like your side  ;D

Colley Dogs

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 27, 2020, 01:00:01 PM
Your side is extremely similar to mine!

I too have 3 def prems, Robbo at D4, 180-200k rookie at D5 and Starcevich/Brander/Gould

I also have 5 prem mids, Rowell at 6, 160-190k mid at 7 and Pickett at 8

GG Rucks

Dusty at 1, Bonar at 4, Hill at 5 and 3 rookies at 6-8. 2 of Ceglar/TMac/Steven/Dev will be my F2 & 3

Crazy similar, so I like your side  ;D

Let's hope we're in the zone!   :)

Colley Dogs

Team going into Marsh 2.

Def: Houston; Dawson; Docherty; Roberton; Ash; Hill (Young; Gould)

Mid: Cripps; Mitchell; Dangerfield; Bontempelli; Oliver; Rowell; Green; Pickett (Starcevich; McHenry; Budarick)

For: Martin; Petracca; Ceglar; Bonar; Brander; Georgiadis (Flanders; King)

Bank: 2.2K

13 Keepers / 21 trades to complete

Fine-tuning:
I'm starting to lean towards strong DPP channels across all lines for flexibility. I'm investing heavily in the Rookies this year, but even the premium priced Rookies have question marks hanging over them. It's difficult to separate downgrade targets from Rookies that might miss a game here or there, so flexibility will be more important than usual.

The value of the DPP is the player that comes off the bench and onto the field with the shift, hence the cash invested in Young at D7 & Flanders at F7.

March 2 will define my Rookie line-up; and if I need to move Dawson back up to Sicily/Laird, I can easily scrape the cash from the Rooks. 

Structure is pretty much set.

RoughRed

Quote from: Colley Dogs on March 02, 2020, 09:59:19 PM
Team going into Marsh 2.

Def: Houston; Dawson; Docherty; Roberton; Ash; Hill (Young; Gould)

Mid: Cripps; Mitchell; Dangerfield; Bontempelli; Oliver; Rowell; Green; Pickett (Starcevich; McHenry; Budarick)

For: Martin; Petracca; Ceglar; Bonar; Brander; Georgiadis (Flanders; King)

Bank: 2.2K

Fine-tuning:
I'm starting to lean towards strong DPP channels across all lines for flexibility. I'm investing heavily in the Rookies this year, but even the premium priced Rookies have question marks hanging over them. It's difficult to separate downgrade targets from Rookies that might miss a game here or there, so flexibility will be more important than usual.

The value of the DPP is the player that comes off the bench and onto the field with the shift, hence the cash invested in Young at D7 & Flanders at F7.

March 2 will define my Rookie line-up; and if I need to move Dawson back up to Sicily/Laird, I can easily scrape the cash from the Rooks. 

Structure is pretty much set.
Good team
Watching brief on Petracca for me... not sold on one performance
Agree about DPP's across all lines

Ringo

Would not place too much emphasis on rookie DPP this early.  Each to his own strategy though but my reasoning is you need rookies making money from Rd 1 and if they have DPP that is a bonus.

AS a Lions supporter I would say if Starcevich does not start this weekend you can rule a line through him.  He was only given half a game in Marsh 1.

Think you probably need that prem keeper in defence but you have plans for that if need be.

SilverLion

Interesting side, feel there's too many risky prems though. Hard to see all of Houston, Dawson, Petracca and Ceglar working out.

Colley Dogs

Quote from: Ringo on March 03, 2020, 10:02:48 AM
Would not place too much emphasis on rookie DPP this early.  Each to his own strategy though but my reasoning is you need rookies making money from Rd 1 and if they have DPP that is a bonus.

AS a Lions supporter I would say if Starcevich does not start this weekend you can rule a line through him.  He was only given half a game in Marsh 1.

Think you probably need that prem keeper in defence but you have plans for that if need be.

Thanks for the feedback, Ringo.

I never usually worry about DPP Rookies, but a lot of the Rookies I'm liking happen to be DPP... so it doesn't take much to line them up in a certain way (Bonar; Budarick; Brander; Hill etc.).

I feel like this season is a little different in that a good number of the attractive Rookies may miss a game early, or miss a game here and there: Hayden Young, Tom Green, Lachlan Ash etc.

After Rowell, these players could be the best cash cows of the lot... but unlike past years where you banked on the first Rookies to play  6 games in a row before downgrading to the next wave of Rookies, I see a little bit of in-and-out with some of them. They'll make the cash, so you want them... but they'll play too early to be considered downgrade targets.

Therefore, the flexibility of moving some of these players between the different lines could be productive.

Of all the picks, Starcevich is the one pick I'm least confident about. But he allows me to get Ash down to the backline to cover Hayden Young, and then back up to the mids to cover Tom Green. Starcevich may have tp go, but I'll wait until Marsh 2.

I wouldn't be doing this if I could find twelve Rookies I could bank on. They're just not there this year. 

crowls

twelve good men?   hmm not likely so far SL!

Colley Dogs

Quote from: SilverLion on March 03, 2020, 06:59:52 PM
Interesting side, feel there's too many risky prems though. Hard to see all of Houston, Dawson, Petracca and Ceglar working out.

Thanks for the feedback, Silver Lion.

No arguments with you here. I'm trying too hard to not get Dev Smith, and being too clever with Ceglar for Gawn cover. I'm also uninspired by the premium defenders and forwards, hence Dawson, Houston, Ceglar.

Going with one of these speculative picks is one thing... but going with all four is a bad idea.

Better to play it with a straight bat (see below).

Cheers.   

Colley Dogs

Team going into Marsh 2:

Def: Laird; Dawson; Docherty; Roberton; Ash; Hill (Young; Gould)

For: Martin; Heeney; D. Smith; Bonar; Brander; Georgiadis (Cameron; King)

Bank: 11.4K

SilverLion

Nice team. Nearly identical prem selections to mine so obviously a fan haha.

Curious of your thoughts on Heeney? I prefer Greenwood for 50k less myself.

Best of luck for 2020 :)

Ringo

A lot of teams now starting to look similar if going with the GG rucks so nice team.

Watch on Heeney with his broken thumb and if he does not line up this weekend would look at alternates Greenwood or Parish.

Colley Dogs

Team's locked.

(Injury news, team news, everything else news may change it... but strategy discussion won't change it. I'll now live and die by my bad decisions).

Thank you everyone for the feedback and strategy chat over the past 2 months. 

I wish you the very best for season 2020!!

I'm not posting my final team as I don't want to be influenced out of my convictions...

... But as a parting farewell I'll share three things:

1. I don't have Gawn
2. I have Dev Smith at F5
3. I have 14 Keepers

All the very best to each and every one of you!

CD.

RaisyDaisy

I've got 14 keepers too, but I have Grundy and Gawn :P

Like you, I'm set on my side now (barring any forced/required changes/tweaks)

Good Luck for the season :)