Colley Dogs 2020 Team thread

Started by Colley Dogs, February 11, 2020, 10:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colley Dogs

Def: Stewart; Sicily; Docherty; Doedee; Mcasey; Young (Starcevich; Brander)

Mid: Macrae; Cripps; Dangerfield; Bontempelli; Oliver; Rowell; Stephens; Pickett (McHenry; Maginness; Mead)

Ruc: Grundy; Gawn (Conroy)

For: Whitfield; Martin; Bonar; Hill; Cockatoo; Rankine (King; Cahill)

Bank: 16.3K

Most will look at this and see Bonar at F3, and consider it madness. That’s okay.

I don’t have Bonar at F3 because I believe Bonar’s a good option; I have him at F3 because in my opinion it’s the least worst of five bad options.

Here’s my thinking:

A.   I have eight 140K+ Rookies (and Brander at 133K). Of these eight, six are in the 180K â€" 210K bracket. This is the most cash I’ve ever invested in Rookies. It would be very easy to scrape 130K â€" 160K from my Rookies and turn Bonar into D. Smith / J.Steven.

If I had the confidence everyone else has in Smith/Steven, I’d do it. But I don’t believe they’re going to be in people’s teams at the end of the season (Smith for scoring reasons; Steven for fitness reasons). I also don’t have confidence in this year’s crop of 117K â€" 123K Rookies. There are a solid 6 â€" 8 options, but not the dozen or so we need. I hope the Marsh series proves me wrong, so I can address this weakness at F3.

My reading is we’re going to have an excellent second wave of Rookies we can downgrade to; but that we’ll need to pay more starting out the gate if our Rookies are to be the cash cows we need them to be.

B.   Assuming the following:

Def: Premium; Premium; Docherty   
Mid: Four Ultra-Premiums
Ruc: Grundy +
For: Whitfield; Martin

The key combination is M5 + R2 + F3

I have:

Bontempelli + Gawn + Bonar

(Yes, Oliver is M5 in my team; but even if I ran with four premium mids, I’m keeping Oliver... so for me it’s Bont that falls into the equation)

If someone can tell me a better option, I’d love to hear it.
If someone can suggest something completely different, I’d welcome the feedback.

I can see:

Walsh/Houston v Gawn v Steven
Bontempelli v ROB v Steven
Heeney v Gawn v Smith (next best)

All combinations will score within 10-15 points imo, but the reason I prefer Bontâ€"Gawnâ€"Bonar is that this is the only combination with two rock-solid guaranteed ultra-premiums (which means less trades to complete or correct).

RaisyDaisy

Nice looking side CD, and I understand your logic behind it all even though I just prefer to be a bit more even across all lines and not have a rookie at F3 :)

Our sides are quite similar actually, but I've gone with the option you mentioned of Gawn/Heeney/Dev

I prefer Laird over Stewart too - Laird is super proven and Stewart is still in rehab so probably worth keeping that in mind. Plus, although Stewart is very consistent he doesn't often put up big scores that hurt by not having him

Laird - Stewart
Roberton - Doedee
Heeney - Bont
Dev - McAsey

That's pretty much the only differences between our sides at the moment :)

I've actually got approx 25k left, but I've gone with Houston over Sicily for now but Houston to Sicily or Stephens to Anderson/Caldwell are options with that. I'd really prefer to start Lloyd, so hopefully some cheap rookies pop up so I can downgrade an expensive rookie and bring in Lloyd

Colley Dogs

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 12, 2020, 12:34:26 AM
Nice looking side CD, and I understand your logic behind it all even though I just prefer to be a bit more even across all lines and not have a rookie at F3 :)

Our sides are quite similar actually, but I've gone with the option you mentioned of Gawn/Heeney/Dev

I prefer Laird over Stewart too - Laird is super proven and Stewart is still in rehab so probably worth keeping that in mind. Plus, although Stewart is very consistent he doesn't often put up big scores that hurt by not having him

Laird - Stewart
Roberton - Doedee
Heeney - Bont
Dev - McAsey

That's pretty much the only differences between our sides at the moment :)

I've actually got approx 25k left, but I've gone with Houston over Sicily for now but Houston to Sicily or Stephens to Anderson/Caldwell are options with that. I'd really prefer to start Lloyd, so hopefully some cheap rookies pop up so I can downgrade an expensive rookie and bring in Lloyd

Thanks for the feedback, RD.

You're swinging me around to the possibility of a different structure (which I need!)... So thank you.

I like my structure a lot, but I feel yours (Heeney-Gawn-Dev) is safer, with similar point potential, but with more flexibility when we start in-season trading (the downside being the additional trade we'll need to complete our midfield; but the merits of this structure perhaps outweighs the cons).

I also appreciate the Stewart > Laird shout out. I think you're right about that.

Thanks, mate.

Colley Dogs

4 Premium Midfield Option:

Def: Laird; Sicily; Docherty; Roberton; Mcasey; Young (Stercevich; Brander)

Mid: Macrae; Cripps; Bontempelli; Oliver; Heeney; Rowell; Stephens; Prickett (McHenry; Maginnis; Warner)

Run: Grundy; Gawn (Conroy)

For: Whitfield; Martin; mystery 230k - 280k player; Bonar; Hill; Rankine (Flanders; King)

Bank: 2.3K

Notes:
- Heeney - Bonar flips the structure.
- Could swipe a few $ to turn my mystery F3 into D. Smith

eaglesman

Quote from: Colley Dogs on February 15, 2020, 07:58:02 PM

Mid: Macrae; Cripps; Bontempelli; Oliver; Heeney; Rowell; Stephens; Prickett (McHenry; Maginnis; Warner)

For: Whitfield; Martin; mystery 230k - 280k player; Bonar; Hill; Rankine (Flanders; King)

Notes:

I duno who this mystery player between 230-280 is but yes I scrolled through the options and none of them are even remotely good lol. I’m assuming you gambling in your rayner suggestion a few weeks back.

Good luck

Aside from that no issue with anyone else.

Colley Dogs

Quote from: eaglesman on February 15, 2020, 08:04:33 PM
Quote from: Colley Dogs on February 15, 2020, 07:58:02 PM

Notes:

I duno who this mystery player between 230-280 is but yes I scrolled through the options and none of them are even remotely good lol. I’m assuming you gambling in your rayner suggestion a few weeks back.

Good luck

Aside from that no issue with anyone else.

Not Rayner... within spitting distance of Rayner. Literally  ;)

Seriously though... the mystery player is not essential in my line up.

Most likely, I'll downgrade mystery player to a sub 200k premium rookie, and invest the cash in my premium mids i.e. Bont to Fyfe, and Oliver to Mitchell if I have the guts.

But I'm so desperate for another mid-priced forward that isn't Smith/Steven. I can honestly see me starting with Smith simply because most experienced coaches currently have him.

The important shift in my structure is Heeney at M5. This is the only other structure I'm currently considering to my Oliver M5 / GG set-up.

Woppa15

Within spitting distance of Rayner, gotta be Jack Lukosius..?

Colley Dogs

Quote from: Woppa15 on February 16, 2020, 05:36:07 PM
Within spitting distance of Rayner, gotta be Jack Lukosius..?

Actually... it's Bewley.

Have a feeling he could be a decent cash cow.

TBH... he's no longer in my team... I downgraded him to a Rookie and put the money into my my M8 Warner, who is now Noah Anderson.

I didn't mean to make the mystery player a mystery to solve. I'd love a 250'sh player that could make 150K, but the pickings are slim. I have a feeling about Bewley, Rayner, and Townsend, but honestly... not enough to risk it.

A couple of seasons ago I took Caleb Daniel for 280K as my F7, and he motored home averaging 95 or something silly post byes. I don't believe in Smith/Steven, so it feels like Heeney or Rookie at F3. As I said, would love 250-280K at F3 and Bonar at F4. That's why I placed mystery man Bewley there  :)

Colley Dogs

This is my team with 14 keepers / 19 trades to complete:

Def: Laird; Houston; Docherty; Roberton; Mcasey; Young (Starcevich; Gould)

Mid: Macrae; Cripps; Oliver; Coniglio; S. Walsh; Rowell; Stephens; Pickett (McHenry; Maginness; Warner)

Ruc: Gawn; Goldstein (Conroy)

For: Martin; Heeney; B. Smith; D. Smith; Bonar; Hill (Rankine; King)

Bank: 1K

Obviously, I prefer the premiums in my previous team. However, that structure has 12 keepers / needs 23 trades to complete. This structure, with a flatter premium line, has 14 keepers / needs 19 trades to complete.

In terms of points, this one scores pretty much the same as my other team (maybe 10 - 20 points more). However, the other team will complete with better players at M7 / M8 / R2 / F5 / F6 (but... it will mean NO correction trades, and a brilliant run of luck with injuries).

I'm a Carlton fan, so that explains Walsh. He and B. Smith are the big speculative picks.

Feedback appreciated. Would especially be interested in suggestions for different players to those selected (without compromising the 14 keeper structure).

Thanks.

Ringo

Walsh is the interesting one in this structure as a keeper hope he works out for you as a POD.

Is it possible to work out a team with 13 keepers as a mixture between the two.

Think this year it will be a case of which riskiest strategy pats off.

For the record still playing around with my team at the moment with 12 keepers plus Smith and Roberton.

Gandalf123

I’d say you have 11 keepers with the potential to have 14 if your speculative picks work out for you - good luck!

LordSneeze

Way too much risk in this for me, your likely to need to make 2-3 MP corrections and add in rookie corrections your going to struggle IMO or be off the pace come season end.

Def
Pretty Standard with Laird & Doc. Houston obviously has hype and potential, but I still see him as a risk pick. As we know Doc is a risk coming off the injury, but everyone will have him

Mid
Conigs we know is a good player, but really I don't like him as a starting selection. Last year he only went 110+ in 4/15 games and in the year before 10/21 games.
Walsh too me seems like a weird pick, If he continues to improve, the most likely outcome is a 100 average. This wouldn't be good enough for a mid spot and either you will be off the pace against other teams or need to waste a trade to get a prem.

Rucks
Goldy I don't like. You need Gawn to fall off the top 2 perch or Goldy to go banana's to make this worth it, otherwise you will be off the pace of other teams or need to waste a trade in comparison to others. Rucks IMO need to either be GG or Grundy & NN/Sauce etc who can increase in value.

Fwds
Can you explain the Bailey Smith pick? Do you believe he will breakout and average 90+. To me he is going to be at best an 80 average. WBD have so many mids that score well, there just isn't enough points for other players to consistently score 90+ too.

Colley Dogs

Quote from: Ringo on February 21, 2020, 10:16:02 AM
Is it possible to work out a team with 13 keepers as a mixture between the two.

Quote from: Gandalf123 on February 21, 2020, 10:24:12 AM
I’d say you have 11 keepers with the potential to have 14 if your speculative picks work out for you - good luck!

Quote from: LordSneeze on February 21, 2020, 12:11:05 PM
Way too much risk in this for me, your likely to need to make 2-3 MP corrections and add in rookie corrections your going to struggle IMO or be off the pace come season end.

Thank you Ringo, Gandalf123, and LordSneeze for taking the time to give feedback  :)

I agree with all your comments. This was an exercise to see if I could put together a side with 14 keepers that wasn’t too objectionable. Clearly, your responses indicate this isn’t possible (unless there are better options than the speculative keepers I’ve chosen).

I think Ringo’s right… find a balance between the two versions, and go with a team that has 13 keepers. I much prefer my 12 keeper set up, but if we get 6-8 injuries we’re going to be in a world of hurt trying to complete our teams.

Still, I’ll share my thinking around some of these speculative picks (even though I’m giving up on most of them):

Houston: simply needed a few extra dollars. Much prefer Sicily, so going back to him.

Conigs: Honestly, I’m actually thinking of Worpel in this spot; but went for Conigs because I didn’t want him becoming the point of the debate haha! I always run with at least one speculative differentiator, and this season Worpel’s a strong contender. I’m happy for everyone to disagree with me on this. I actually think Mitchell’s return will help rather than hurt him.

Walsh: I’m a Carlton fan. My opinion is he’ll average 100, but stands a chance of averaging 105. But he needs to average 105 to not be a failed pick, and that’s why he’s a gamble. I’m convinced he has an even chance of replicating what Oliver did in his second season. He has the ability to impact games. Last season he scored six hundreds, and of those five were 110+. In saying all of that, when I switch things up to have 13 keepers, Walsh will be the first one I trade up.

B. Smith: A friend of mine is a Doggie fan, and goes down to watch training at least a couple of times a week. He believes Smith has taken another step, and could average low 90s. He’ll come in off the wing. Like you, I don’t love the pick; but I don’t like any of the forward mid-pricers this season.

T. Goldstein: I’m sure of two things… 1. Goldstein will average 115 2. Gawn won’t play Rd 1. (Got another friend, a connected Melbourne supporter who says there’s whispers Gawn’s not going to be risked for the Perth game; hard ground etc.). Obviously, if Gawn is named Rd 1, I’m selecting him. But if not, I’m going with Goldy. Not interested in ROB, Sauce etc… I’d rather be 1 luxury trade away from Gawn, whilst scoring within 10-15 points of him.

See my hybrid team below. 13 keepers (including Dev Smith). Currently, my differentiator is Worpel. We’re all going to have at least one iffy pick this year, aren't we? If Gawn goes to Goldstein, I can turn Worpel into a 600k+ mid. Or, I can revert to my 12 keeper set-up i.e. downgrade Dev Smith to a Rookie, turn Worpel into an ultra premium mid, and start Bonar at F3. This team, however, requires 23 trades to complete. I like the 13 Keeper set up as it gives me the flexibility to swing both ways. In an ideal world, a 220K - 250K raises their hand in the Marsh series (Townsend), and I can turn Worpel into an ultra premium. Lots of options here .

Thanks again for your feedback and comments.

Colley Dogs

13 Keepers / 21 trades to complete:

Def: Laird; Sicily; Docherty; Roberton; Mcasey; Young (Starcevich; Gould)

Mid: Macrae; Cripps; Dangerfield; Oliver; Worpel; Rowell; Stephens; Pickett (McHenry; Maginness; Warner)

For: Martin; Heeney; D. Smith; Bonar; Hill; Frampton (Rankine; King)

Bank: 6.4K

Colley Dogs

Or...

13 Keepers / 21 trades to complete:

Def: Laird; Sicily; Docherty; Roberton; Young; Brander (Starcevich; Gould)

Mid: Cripps; Mitchell; Dangerfield; Bontempelli; Oliver; Rowell; Stephens; Pickett (McHenry; Maginness; Warner)

For: Martin; Heeney; D. Smith; Bonar; Hill; Frampton (Rankine; King)

Bank: 0.2K

Giving up Macrae & Whitfield helps me maintain a Gawn + Oliver M5 + 13 Keeper structure.