WXV Rules Discussion 2017

Started by Purple 77, August 01, 2017, 12:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meow meow

Lots of discussion about pricing systems that end up only 200k different. Pretty much irrelevant.

Let's talk about Nathan Vardy instead.

Ricochet

Quote from: meow meow on August 04, 2017, 02:00:18 PM
Lots of discussion about pricing systems that end up only 200k different. Pretty much irrelevant.

Are you suggesting he would be available in trade discussions?

Holz

Quote from: Ringo on August 04, 2017, 01:56:20 PM
Still really prefer current year rather than over 3 years. All cap rules will have flaws but think should be based on current year only with adjustments for those that do not play or play minimal games.

Also agree with MM on age discount - Most mids will be in there prime after 28 eg Danger will be 28 next year and I am sure he will not drop off so maybe age discount for players over 30.

Thats what my rule is doing.

GoLions

Quote from: Ricochet on August 04, 2017, 02:06:54 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of a promotion to the leadership group next year

RaisyDaisy

The Nathan Wilson of 2016/17

Agree 28 way too low, should be 31. Age does my head in this comp. The most over exaggerated factor when talking trades. Drives me crazy

And Ringos suggestion about a bonus for loyalty is a big no sorry. Can't increase someone's value just because you haven't traded them in 5 years

Nige

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on August 04, 2017, 02:25:43 PM
Agree 28 way too low, should be 31. Age does my head in this comp. The most over exaggerated factor when talking trades. Drives me crazy

And Ringos suggestion about a bonus for loyalty is a big no sorry. Can't increase someone's value just because you haven't traded them in 5 years

Holz

Quote from: meow meow on August 04, 2017, 01:48:45 PM
Age discount shouldn't apply as early as 28. Simmo, Heath Shaw, Murphy, I'm sure there are many others too who have had their best year(s) after 28. Maybe 31 year olds should attract a little discount, but maybe they don't need them if the preceeding year is going to be given extra weight. Heath Shaw is no certainty to drop again next year.

The discount would have Dangerfield as a 130 average instead of 134.  its not a big deal.

S Pendlebury   
T Goldstein   
JP Kennedy   
M Priddis   
J Selwood   
R Gray   
H Shaw   
S Mitchell   
D Mundy   
G Ablett   
B Goddard   
S Martin   
L Montagna   
S Mumford   
K Simpson   
J Lewis   
N Jones   
S Jacobs   
M Murphy   
L Franklin   

13/20 of the 500k players fell. The guys who improved rose by less then the player who feel dropped by. Of the above players want to know how many had career best years? 0 out of 20

Plus its not a one sided thing. 24 25 26 27 year olds are all expected to improve, as i said this isnt discounting then its fixing things up. There is certainly a downwards trend in older player and a upwards trend in younger players. I just showed that 65% of the top 20 oldest player declined.

I think if you picked 25 and 26 year olds a majority of them would have improved.

meow meow

Quote from: Ricochet on August 04, 2017, 02:06:54 PM

That's the impression I'm trying to give but in reality I'll be keeping him and I'm just taunting teams with dismal ruck stocks. I'll be selecting the only ruck worth anything in this draft with pick 7 too. Eventually I'll play an OOP ruck, but not as we know it. I'll be playing ruckmen in every spot since that's all I'm going to have on my list. M1? Sean Darcy OOP. F2? Nathan Vardy OOP. I'll play Tom Boyd at R1 even though he'll be the only player with DPP but he's my first choice ruck.

meow meow

Why the F should Danger get any discount though? He's in his absolute prime. It wouldn't amount to anything significant but it's not needed.

Ringo

Quote from: Nige on August 04, 2017, 02:28:54 PM
Quote from: RaisyDaisy on August 04, 2017, 02:25:43 PM

Fair enough.  Only suggested it to match the veterans salary discount in AFL.  So maybe instead of age discounts we could have a maximum of 2 players over 30 on veterans list with an appropriate discount.
BTW liking all the discussion so far some a bit hard to get around though.

meow meow

They've scrapped the veterans discount in the AFL.

Holz

Quote from: meow meow on August 04, 2017, 02:40:07 PM
Why the F should Danger get any discount though? He's in his absolute prime. It wouldn't amount to anything significant but it's not needed.

you pick the best player in the competition, he is an outlier and even then he is getting discounted from 134 to 130. What do you honestly think he will average next year? You could look at it as half due to decline of older player and half due to upswing of younger so really its predicting a 132 average.

You could look at it this way as younger players are getting a slight premium.

Who is more likely to improve Next year. Josh Kelly or Patrick Dangerfield?

meow meow

JBs-Hawks

Jroo

Bit of reading to catch up on all this  :P

Do agree with Holz though in older players are a bit overvalued, when young players like Oliver clearly have more value than guys like Heath Shaw, it should represent it in the salary cap.

Also I think the current ruck OOP is fine, we don't want to overcomplicate things too much