WXV Summer League MMXVI

Started by Levi434, October 02, 2016, 07:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

That was an awesome read  :D

Daniel Talia again proving why he received the WXVs 2016 Coaches Award.

Fyfe, Steven and Viney let me down  :-\

The amount of effort to get all those stats is beyond me btw.

Do my defenders get bonuses btw coz I flooded?

Levi434

Quote from: Holz on November 08, 2016, 01:43:24 PM
Amazing write up, just a clarification on the tagging

"Nominate a player to tag a player of the same position. The tagger loses 15% just for playing a tagging role. The player being tagged loses 5% for each TACKLE the tagger makes. BUT if the player being tagged has the same or more tackles than the tagger, he breaks the tag and receives no penalty, while the tagger still loses 15%"

I didnt know it was the difference in the tagging, it makes much more sense though just think this above rule needs to be reworded.

Yep I'll reword that. The difference is what I was thinking the whole time. Basically because if a player has a day and gets 15 tackles then the player they tag lose 75% of their score. Unrealistic.

Quote from: Purple 77 on November 08, 2016, 01:43:37 PM
That was an awesome read  :D

Daniel Talia again proving why he received the WXVs 2016 Coaches Award.

Fyfe, Steven and Viney let me down  :-\

The amount of effort to get all those stats is beyond me btw.

Do my defenders get bonuses btw coz I flooded?

They would have but Holz counteracted that flood by attacking and playing an extra forward. So since both positions we equal there are no bonuses.

Levi434

Rio VS New Dehli

Preview:
A rematch of the 2016 WXV Grand Final here at the Summer League. Jaguars coach Levi, playing it safe by not rushing his Premiership heroes back. Whilst new NDT Assistant Coach, who has been given the reigns looks to extract a measure of revenge.

New Dehli have made new recruit Robbie Gray their captain in this one but Rio are definitely glad to have the number 1 tagger Ben Jacobs back and ready to take on Robbie in this one. On the other end Jack Ziebell who is yet another new recruit looks to be going to the returning Gary Ablett. Who of course is Rio’s captain in the absence of Cripps here today.

Both teams have kept their team structure looking standard at this stage but perhaps we’ll see some of those advanced in-game tactics which we saw in the first of this double-header?

We’re nearly underway here but we have to address the controversy surrounding this match-up. Many are wondering why Rio didn’t send a few of it’s gun over and have speculated that it’s due to them still partying from the Premiership? This of course means both Rio’s hot(Aaron Hall) and cold(Mason Wood) players aren’t here.

Equal pressure has been put on internally at The Tigers as Stand-in Coach BB67th stated he was backing them to take out the comp. Well it looks like Summer League title or bust for the New look New Dehli. They have backed Cameron to overcome his cold streak and of course have played the in form Seb Ross.

The Game:

Recap:
Rio stood not much chance in this one against a much stronger New Dehli. So they decided to take their captain Gary Ablett out of the game in the 4th to rest him for later. Apparently it was because Jack Ziebell was giving him a few hits off the ball which will be looked at by the MRP.

Ablett finished on 109 as captain but of course he was tagged meaning his score goes to 15% less as Ziebell had 3 more tackles than him. Which is 93. Meaning The Champ finishes on 93 + 109 = 202. Ziebell as tagger also then loses 15% meaning he finishes on 78. Overall GAJ lost 16 and Ziebell lost 13.

The Number 1 Tagger Ben Jacobs tagged Robbie Gray to a measly 120. Gary loses 15% has Jacobs had 5 tackles to Gray’s 3. Gray finishes on 108 but as captain he gets 228 overall. Jacobs 65 becomes 56 after he loses 15% from being a tagger.

Rio needed to stop the damage somehow and decided to put the top forward, Jack Watts down back for a little bit and it worked. As Watts had kicked 2 goals already he was able to muster a few clearing kicks from the defence to same Rio of further damage. He gets a +6 and finishes on 81.

NDT tried to have Cameron break out of his cold streak by sending him down back when the game was done to try and get his hands on the ball. It proved to be ineffective as Cameron was only able to manage a +3 as he only kicked 1 goal for the game. It looks as though he will continue to have this cold streak in the next game. He started on 52 and got the +3 from the limit. Now on 55 he loses 10% as he is cold and finishes on 50. On the contrary Seb Ross wasn’t able to break the 95 barrier to maintain his hot streak. He got 84 this week meaning still will get a +10% taking him to 93.

Two games in I think everything has worked well so far. Can't wait to see a few more experimental strategies.

Final Score:
Rio 1203
NDT 1339

Up Next:
Tomorrow it's Toronto VS Moscow in the 3rd game of the Summer League. It's getting hot.

meow meow

Quote from: meow meow on November 07, 2016, 11:24:53 AM
Gibbs to tag Lewis then.

No tag employed now that the rule has been changed.

RaisyDaisy

Awesome read :)

Tackle rule was as I read it, which is why I have Picken (tackling machine) tagging Higgins (Low tackle count)  8)

meow meow

Changing my team just to see what happens with M4 :P

B: Murphy, McVeigh, Montagna, Dempster, Lever
M: Gibbs, Mitchell, Fiorini (c), Wigg
R: Sandi
F: Waite, Higgins, Boyd
I: Wells, Masten

BB67th

Great write up there Levi, loving the stuff so far!!

Fantastic start for NDT, looking like we'll match my prediction of taking the comp out at this rate ;)

Ricochet

Quote from: BB67th on November 08, 2016, 07:10:32 PM

Fantastic start for NDT, looking like we'll match my prediction of taking the comp out at this rate ;)
Good work BB 8)

Holz

Quote from: Ricochet on November 09, 2016, 12:24:56 PM

Good work BB 8)

Based on getting pumped by Dublin by over 100 points?  :P

Ricochet

Quote from: Holz on November 09, 2016, 12:28:07 PM

Good work BB 8)

We played Rio...

and

Pffft Dublin don't scare us ;)

Levi434

Toronto VS Moscow

Preview:
Toronto VS Moscow in what shapes up to be a battle of teams on the rise. Both teams had down years last year for different reasons be that injury or suspension. Here is a chance to get the year off on the right track.

A huge call has been made early in this one, Moscow Coach Torp has decided against a tag after originally it was thought he would go for the reverse-tag on Scooter. Could they be taking the Wolves lightly?

On the opposite end we are going to see something we’ve never seen before in Summer League and that is Toronto new signing Brodie Smith implement the “Takeover” strategy. Obviously Coach Adamant confident in his efficiency and ball use. This will be a good chance to see the difference as Moscow has gone with the popular tactic of the “Limit” for Jesse Hogan.

As mentioned Scott Selwood will be tagging. He’ll go to the returning gun Dyson Heppell. Both teams have also decided to keep their structure as standard.

Mid-week after the Wolves had named their team, they made a few sudden changes. Both Nathan Hrovat and Lewis Taylor were omitted for The Sneeze Machine Brendon Ah Chee and also the former Jaguar Shane Kersten. Many Toronto fans have speculated that Hrovat and Taylor both showed up out of shape to preseason training and this was a way for Adamant to law down the lay. Others have speculated that Taylor is just trash. Also Hrovat is Cold which is probably the real reason.

The captaincy battle will be crazy with first time captain Jack Grimes to lead the Wolves out against Dyson Heppell. Another battle to watch is in-form Travis Boak VS in-form Dyson Heppell. Seems like Dyson has a lot on his plate today.

The Game:

Recap:
Apparently injuries are not even a thing with ACL Nic Nat and Broken Leg Wallis both having great games. Moscow mids seemingly all went big with JOM being the only one not to ton.

Brodie Smith with the Takeover definitely did that scoring 103 at a 95% DE. This takes him up to 113 total as he was 10% over the DE cutoff of 85. Shows how good the tactic can be if you have the personnel. Compared to the limit strategy, for someone to get over 10 they need to boot at least 4 goals.

Jack Grimes as captain was only able to muster 71 which just won’t cut it at this level. The Wolves had 8 guys above him and could have cut the gap right down if they went with one of those. The good news for Toronto is that Travis Boak scored 102 which means he continues his hot streak into the next game but also gets a +10% in this one. Taking his score up to 113.

As tagger Scott Selwood loses 15% to take him down to 65.

Complex Dyson Heppell score. He is captain meaning his 107 is always counted. Then he was tagged as well as on a hot streak. So his score loses 4x5% for the difference in tackles. This takes his score to 86. Now since he is on a hot streak he gains +10% of that. So +9. Final score for Heppell is 107 + 95 = 202. He also gets to keep his hot streak into next game.

This was also the first chance I think the tagging worked really well with Selwood losing 11 to Heppell losing 21. It was just too bad for the Wolves that Heppell was on a hot streak. I think you'd take a +10 advantage each week if you could successfully pull it off.

Hogan went back on the Limit tactic and since he kicked 2 goals he receives a +6.

Very good game, some huge scores combined with a few spud ones. Both teams will need to step up to prevent being pumped by Dublin. And even further if they want to challenge the WXV Legends who we'll get to see in a few days time.

Final Score:
Toronto 1324
Moscow 1429

Up Next:
Tomorrow we have Christchurch VS New York. A battle of two teams with a lot to prove.

Holz

Quote from: Ricochet on November 09, 2016, 12:34:20 PM

Good work BB 8)

We played Rio...

and

4:1

Purple 77

Another awesome write-up  :D

I'm a big fan of the hot and cold streaks btw.

Also liking the Limit strategy! It's not too overpowered and it would make opposing coaches bemoan that player whenever they kick a goal.

Despite maybe some fine-tuning to tagging, these little tactics that can potentially add 0-15 points are really good IMO. My first instinct would be to restrict its use, like use "Limit", "Takeover" etc only 3 times each per year or something.

These rules add to our game beautifully IMO, and seeing them in action has made me all the more a supporter of them  8)

Maybe 2018  :(

Ricochet

Quote from: Purple 77 on November 09, 2016, 12:46:08 PM
Also liking the Limit strategy! It's not too overpowered and it would make opposing coaches bemoan that player whenever they kick a goal.

Despite maybe some fine-tuning to tagging, these little tactics that can potentially add 0-15 points are really good IMO. My first instinct would be to restrict its use, like use "Limit", "Takeover" etc only 3 times each per year or something.

These rules add to our game beautifully IMO, and seeing them in action has made me all the more a supporter of them  8)

Maybe 2018  :(
I agree mate, they're perfect because they don't influence a match tooo much

Ricochet

Quote from: Holz on November 09, 2016, 12:44:09 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on November 09, 2016, 12:34:20 PM

Good work BB 8)

We played Rio...

and

4:1
Grand Final appearances in last 365 days
0 : 1