WXV Grand Final 2016: Jaguars v Tigers

Started by Purple 77, August 23, 2016, 06:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

It's time.

Grand Final, AFL Round 23

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue                                   Head-to-Head
Rio de Janeiro JaguarsNew Delhi TigersMelbourne Cricket Ground1  v  1

2015 was a tough initiation year for the Rio de Janeiro Jaguars. Coming off the greatly successful redraft of Sao Paulo & Wellington, coach Levi crafted a team that contained many of the hallmarks of greatness built by it's Brazilian predecessor but with it's own uniqueness brought in with the subsequent trading and drafting periods. 2015 was supposed to earn greater rewards than its 15th placing, and it is a credit to the coach to continue his way of building a list that could challenge for the premiership. The trade period that followed was somewhat controversial as the trades of Rio were often brought into question, but the boldness of such trades paid immediate dividends with an opening 5 rounds that saw Rio go undefeated and sit number one on both the H&A and points ladder. During this time, Rio established itself as a generally accepted top 4 team and was put aside in the minds of most until it was time for finals. During the remainder of the year, Rio would enter in a small scoring drought before peaking again in Rounds 12 & 13, and dropping off yet again with the injury of star WXVs player Gary Ablett. Going into finals, Rio de Janeiro had its fair share of doubt as to whether it could really compete without its star player (and also ruck), and with a qualifying final score of 117, the doubts intensified into the writing-off by some. However, a star has emerged in this finals series for the Jaguars, and his name is Patrick Cripps. He had led the Jaguars to both a convincing Semi Final victory over New York and an even more impressive win against Dublin away in the preliminary final, when all odds were against the Jaguars to take home the chocolates. The Jaguars journey to its first ever Grand Final has been amazing to look back upon, and they should know that it has been because of the boldness and strategy of its coach that it will see it participate in both the Reserves and Senior Grand Finals this week.

What the Tigers are doing right now, is unprecedented. There is nothing that could have prepared us to witness such an incredible transformation take place before our very eyes, that could very well end in taking the most sought after achievement of our beloved competition. The 2015 New Delhi season was arguably the single worst ever recorded season by a WXV club in our five year history. The Tigers posted ONE win for the ENTIRE year, and averaged 108 points per game! 108! Simon White played 13 games for New Delhi last year, with an average of 50. His teammate (now Coaches Award recipient) Daniel Talia played 14 games at an average of 49. How can I possibly be writing up a New Delhi preview in the Grand Final in just the very next year? It baffles beyond belief! This is such a magnificent coaching achievement, that it could seriously be the best EVER achievement in WXVs History, and perhaps even across ALL XVs competitions. The Coach of the Year voting process was just a formality. 2016 started like every other year with a Round 1 loss, but a 30-40 WXV point improvement already on the year before. New Delhi's first 7 weeks were quite solid, with one HUGE score against Tokyo offset by a classic 2015 score against PNL the week after. Rounds 8 & 9 were massive for the Tigers too, but again that was met by a 3-week down period, at the end of which saw the Tigers 5-7 and destined for a much improved mid-table finish. But what happened next is still happening. New Delhi have won 8 games in a row with each win more impressive than the last because had they lost ANY of those games, they wouldn't be where they are today! But it was last week that proved to be the Tigers greatest EVER win; a 156-155 preliminary final victory against the two-time premiers Mexico City. This team symbolises everything we'd like WXVs to be, and they thoroughly deserve their chance at taking the ultimate glory and capping off the best XVs story ever.

You wouldn't have said that these two teams have a rivalry, but this game will begin a rivalry that will last for years. Only twice have these two teams gone head-to-head, with the last encounter recorded back in Round 14 where the Tigers defeated Rio 142-127 at home. These teams are the only teams in the competition that have played every single week possible (barring EurAsia v AAP) and had they played against each other in each one of those weeks, they would be tied at 10-10! However, since GAJ went down, 7 weeks have gone by and it would have been in the Semi Finals were Rio would have beaten New Delhi. The Jaguars were the 3rd highest scoring team of the H&A season compared to New Delhi whom were 8th on the points ladder. However, since GAJ went down, New Delhi have averaged 142 ppg with a high score of 156 (scored last week), compared to Rio's average of 135 ppg, with its last two scores of 150 & 149 bumping it up considerably. This game will be a ripper, coz I just don't know who is gonna win! Both teams are in good recent form with perhaps the absence of GAJ tipping the scales towards the slightly more recently consistently Tigers. But, hosted at the magnificent MCG, none of that matters. I just have a feeling that the Tigers might run out of puff, so I'll officially tip the Jaguars, but I'll be extremely happy for whomever wins the Grand Final! I'm already extremely happy because the both of you have ended the Dublin/Mexico City streak of 4 straight years! Good luck to both, and may the best team on the day win  :D

And don't forget the reserves!

One team (Christchurch) playing this week aren't playing seniors. What I require from you, is that you NAME YOUR BEST SENIOR XV like you were playing finals. I will be scrutinising your best XV to determine if that is really who you would play, so as to ensure that the players available for the reserves matches are the ones that would normally be available. If I don't agree, then I will name one for you.

Grand Final, AFL Round 23

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue                             
Wellington WetaCopacabana CapuchinsEtihad Stadium

Qualifying final replay! Wellington got up the last time, but I think Copacabana have called on the cavalry since! There could be 24+ players taking the field in this match  :o

ossie85

Great write up Purps, and congratulations to you on a fantastic run competition. Amazing work and passion.

Best of luck to both. I really thought Rio were an 'also ran' after Ablett and Jacobs went down. And New Delhi? That's remarkable. Both winners I think.

RaisyDaisy

The Worlds XV is the real winner here

Fantastic work and effort all year Purps, and congrats again to Rio and NDT for a remarkable year!

roo boys!

Thought I'd poke my head in for the first time since early in the season just to see who made the GF...safe to say I wasn't expecting to see either of these two teams! Awesome turn around by both of you, some unreal coaching has taken place

Ricochet

Yeeeow come on Friday!

Good luck Rio and remember to watch out for the curse >:D

ossie85

Although Rio and New Delhi have never made it this far, a couple of players will be seeking a 2nd Premiership Medal.

Current Premiership Players

New Delhi

Steele Sidebottom was part of the 2015 Mexico City Suns outfit, and is looking for back-to-back flags (something only Shaun Grigg has achieved of all people in 2014 for Dublin, and 2015 for Mexico City). Sidebottom is in the mix for Captaincy you'd think.

Also pushing for back-to-back flags is Adam Oxley, also part of the 2015 Mexico City Suns. However, although he has played a couple of reserves games recently, his form likely doesn't warrant selection. He'll be pushing hard for selection though, perhaps gets selected for his Grand Final experience (though he did only score 39 in that one).

Rio de Janeiro

A couple of 2013 Sao Paulo still exists, and would be looking to bring the old Puma pride with them.

Gary Ablett was key to the 2013 Sao Paulo flag, but will be watching from the sidelines, as the 3-time Jim Stynes medalist is injured. With Ablett in the team, Rio would be big favourites IMO, but they've managed this far without him!

Brendan Whitecross has endured a horrible run of injury, but is in the running for a 2nd flag! Also part of the 2013 Puma team, Whitecross performed admirably in the Preliminary final.

When Sam Jacobs went down late in the year, many thought that Rio would go out in straight sets. But now Big Sauce can add a 2nd flag to his Puma 2013 one, and will be a key player in this contest.

Rob Murphy won't get a chance to add to his 2014 Dublin flag, as like Ablett, is on the sidelines cheering with injury.

While Travis Boak will be loving a chance to add to his 2014 Dublin Flag!

Other notes:

Bernie Vince will be lining up for the Seniors this week for his first flag, but if he is somehow dropped, could be playinf for his 2nd reserves flag after Mexico City in 2014.

While Sean Lemmens will be battling concussion to aim for his 2nd reserves flag, after Mexico City 2014. Of course, he could get selected for the seniors also....

Purple 77

Very interesting read!

Steele Sidebottom obviously has a nose for success  :o

Jroo

JBs-Hawks

meow meow

I feel ripped off, I was waiting for Mexico City vs Dublin all season.

Purps, we're on a roll so you can name the team again this week.

Purple 77

Quote from: meow meow on August 24, 2016, 08:17:37 PM
I feel ripped off, I was waiting for Mexico City vs Dublin all season.

Purps, we're on a roll so you can name the team again this week.

Lol, no worries

ossie85

Ranking the Grand Finals:

1. 2013: Mexico City Suns (23.12.150) lost to Sao Paulo Pumas (24.16.160)

Best
Mexico City: J Bartel, S Thompson, Brad Ebert, J Lewis, N Riewoldt, B Goddard
Sao Paulo: G Ablett, W Minson, R Sloane, A Walker, Jarryd Roughead, M Buntine, J Gunston

WXV Debut
Sao Paulo: M Buntine

The Pumas were gone for all money earlier in the year, but came back strong. The rivalry of Mexico City and Sao Paulo at its peak, the Pumas were underdogs and behind at key stages of the year, but on the back of a BOG performance from Gary Ablett and a stunning century debut from Buntine in a Grand Final (which remains his one and only SC century), the Pumas pounced. The Suns were left licking its wounds, but had nothing to be ashamed of after posting a huge 150 with Bartel and Thompson the stars.

2. 2014: Sao Paulo Pumas (22.13.145) lost to  Dublin Destroyers (24.12.156)

Best
Sao Paulo: J Gunston, R Sloane, Ja Roughead, D Smith, S Jacobs, H Hartlett
Dublin: J Selwood, R Gray, G Birchall, M Walters, R Murphy, A Rance

Late Changes
Sao Paulo: D Roberton replaced A Silvagni
Dublin: J Green replaced L Franklin, S Grigg replaced T Rockliff

It was a case of the walking wounded in this Grand Final! Dublin were missing Tom Rockliff, Lance Franklin and Todd Goldstein (leaving Tom McDonald to do the ruck duties), while Sao Paulo were missing Gary Ablett, Andrew Walker and Alex Sivagni.

The Destroyers created history be becoming the first wooden spoon team to win a flag (though that may happen again this weekend), with Joel Selwood the best on ground. Ultimately, it was the bottom players that lost it for the Pumas - Tony Armstrong have a match to forget.

3. 2012: Mexico City Suns (24.14.158) defeated Cape Town Cobras (22.14.146)

Best
Mexico City: A Sandilands, B McLean, J Waite, Brad Ebert, I Maric, P Chapman
Cape Town: A Cooney, J Watson, T Cotchin, C Sylvia, J Selwood, JP Kennedy, T Hawkins

The Suns win the first ever WXV flag. Doing it the hard way after losing the qualifying final to the very team they beat they in Grand Final in Cape Town. The Cobras had an exceptional year (LOOK AT THAT MIDFIELD of Watson-Cotchin-Selwood-JP Kennedy), but lacked in other parts of the ground. Big Sandi was huge for the Suns and was BOG, and Brock McLean of all people was a star. Cooney was the best for the Cobras.

4. 2015: Dublin Destroyers (23.9.147) lost to Mexico City Suns (26.6.162)

Best
Dublin: Tom McDonald, Alex Rance, Lachlan Hansen, Grant Birchall, Joel Selwood, Travis Boak, Dustin Martin, Jack Gunston, Jarryd Roughead
Mexico City: Tom Rockliff, Jordan Lewis, Bradley Ebert, Ivan Maric, Brett Deledio, Brendon Goddard, Jimmy Bartel

WXV Debut
Dublin: Jason Holmes, Matthew Scharenberg

The Suns became the first team to win 2 flags (from 3 Grand Finals) in a well deserved flag win, with former Destroyer Tom Rockliff the best on ground, further rubbing salt into the wounds of Dublin (Rockliff missed the GF for Dublin the previous year).

Ultimately the Destroyers had huge injury problems, forced to debut two players in the Grand Final in Holmes and Scharenberg, after Todd Goldstein (for the 2nd year running), David Mundy, Bob Murphy (who miss a GF this week also) and Nick Dal Santo all unavailable, while Franklin had a shocker.

Purple 77

Gee, that's actually a high quality standard of Grand Final matches. The lowest score was 145, and the margins are all kept reasonably close!

And yet, we could easily have a grand final this weekend where both teams score less than 140  :o

Ricochet

New Delhi Tigers

DEF Daniel Rich, Jeremy Howe, Nathan Krakouer, Tommy Bugg
MID Steele Sidebottom (C), Stephen Coniglio (VC), BTB Crouch, Tom Scully
INT Seb Ross, Jake Lloyd
RUCK Stef Martin
FWD Jack Darling, Jack Martin, Jeremy Cameron, Ed Langdon

EMER: Kieren Jack, Phil Davis, Travis Cloke

Ricochet

Yep its happening

OUT: Ed Langdon
IN: Travis Cloke 6.0