WXV Preliminary Finals: Destroyers v Jaguars, Suns v Tigers

Started by Purple 77, August 16, 2016, 09:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Preliminary Finals, AFL Round 22

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue                             Head-to-Head
Dublin DestroyersRio de Janeiro JaguarsCrooke Park2  v  0 
Mexico City SunsNew Delhi TigersFireball Stadium5  v  0 

Here we are again, in the all too familiar position of a home preliminary final for the third straight year. But each one of those years offered a different angle of dominance if you ask me. In 2014, the Destroyers were the ones to come storming up the ladder; expected to do so from even before Round 1, to eventually claim the premiership. In 2015, well, I don't think I've ever seen such a dominant and flawless season, waaaay up until the Grand Final where the lost to the Suns. This year, one could make the argument that they've gone backwards... but they still claimed the minor premiership, and they still claimed a home preliminary final. They've showed the odd chink in the armour, but they still know when to perform and how to win; evidenced by their epic win against PNL in the qualifying final and by just generally coming to form at the right time of the season. In the last three weeks, they've scored 160, 160 and an unofficial 154, which contrasts vastly from their three weeks before that reading 132, 148 and 139. The fact is, is that Dublin remain a dominant force in the competition and probably even the premiership favourites at this stage. They'll go in this match as heavy favourites against a GAJ-less Rio.
The Jaguars really stood up last week and did their H&A season some justice with a dominant win over the Revolution. Despite not having star ruck (or any ruck) Sam Jacobs (whom is tipped to return this week), the Jags posted their first 150+ score since the last fully fit GAJ game in Round 13. Although that performance would be a welcome confidence booster, it's a real shame that GAJ went down to injury, as really, Rio's fellow preliminary finalists have no that comes close to a fit GAJ. He was their premiership advantage; a finals advantage, and for a while there his absence looked like Rio wouldn't win a final. But thankfully, we were reminded that there are in fact other contributors at Rio... how else did they get all those 160+ scores throughout the year? Against Dublin, the Jaguars will go in as the underdogs, because it's worth pointing out that had these two teams played against each other every week this year (not including last week), Rio would have only beaten Dublin 3 times... wow, does that seem low to everyone?! Rio was the third highest scoring team of the comp! Jesus that surprised me... anyway, with that lost win coming in Round 12. The odds don't look good; but finals is a funny time, and does Dublin harbour any demons from last year's GF choke? Time will tell! But I'll have to tip Dublin.

Mexico City - the most successful team in WXVs history - just continues to dominant. Pretty much; see the Dublin write-up. Last year's premiers I'd say have gone a few better this year, and clearly still fight a three-year long two-team battle as to whom is the best team in WXVs. The Suns ended up the highest scoring team of the competition in the H&A season, so really there isn't much you could say is a huge concern for them; except, that in their last 5 games they've only really posted a damaging score once (their 164 against PNL in Round 16). In the qualifying final, the Suns got a little lucky to notch up a win with a meagre 133 (third lowest score of the round) which was in fact their second lowest score of the season; the lowest also coming against Rio in Round 4 (crazy). It'd be a concern for sure coming up against a team that has won its past 7 matches, but I don't expect lightning to strike twice. The Suns have never lost to the Tigers, are the most finals experienced team in Worlds and average 151 ppg, which the Tigers have only topped twice. Gotta be heavy favourites, and if their 2013 preliminary final against the only other team to make the prelims from outside the 4 (Berlin) is anything to go by, then I'm expecting the Suns to appear in their 4th Grand Final.
New Delhi! What a ride it has been! Wooden Spooners last year, preliminary finalists 12 months later! What an incredible journey and what an incredible transformation that its talented co-coaches have concocted. The year is already a roaring success, which pretty much means the Tigers are playing with no pressure and a level of freedom that makes for an infectious style of WXVs footy. I'll have to mention it again, but New Delhi are just the second team in 5 years to have made the prelims from outside the top 4 (Berlin in 2013 was the first), and when you consider that the Tigers have had to win their past 7 matches to make it here... it's just an incredible story. If they lost just one of those matches, they wouldn't be here, making club history. It's been because of Stefan Martin's 162 that finished a tight game against London. It's been because of a Steele Sidebottom & Stephen Coniglio dynamic that proved too much for Beijing. It's been because of choosing the ONLY centurion for the Tigers as captain in last week's Semi-Final against PNL to win the game. Just, what a year. But, I fear this is the end of the road for the Tigers. Had they played against Mexico City every week of the year (not including last week), Round 15 would have been their fourth a last win. It's been a helluva ride, but I just don't see the Suns losing this one.

And don't forget the reserves!

Two teams (Christchurch and Buenos Aires) playing this week aren't playing seniors. What I require from you, is that you NAME YOUR BEST SENIOR XV like you were playing finals. I will be scrutinising your best XV to determine if that is really who you would play, so as to ensure that the players available for the reserves matches are the ones that would normally be available. If I don't agree, then I will name one for you.

Preliminary Finals, AFL Round 22

Home Team                             Away Team                             Venue                                                   
Wellington WetaLa Plata ArmadaAMI Stadium
Mumbai ElephantsCopacabana CapuchinsNepal

ossie85

I think we're all going for Rio and New Delhi!

Great write-up Purps

ossie85

Ranking WXV Preliminary Finals

1. 2013: Buenos Aires Armadillos (22.13.145) lost to Sao Paulo Pumas (22.14.146)
I think this is the best game in WXV history. Buenos Aires had an amazing year - finish 2nd and winning the first qualifying final easily. The Pumas only barely limped into the finals. Buenos Aires and Sao Paulo were traditional rivals, but Buenos Aires had never beaten (and still have never beaten) Sao Paulo. Sao Paulo won the match by STRIPPING captaincy from Gary Ablett (for Rory Sloane). If they hadn't done that, they would've lost. Amazingly, when the final siren went, BUENOS AIRES WAS IN FRONT!!! But SCALING had Sao Paul in front by only 6 SC points.

2. 2015: Christchurch Saints (23.10.148) lost to Mexico City Suns (25.9.159)
The Saints had a very impressive first year in the competition, but it all ended here, as the Mexico City Suns showed its premiership material, with a solid 11 point victory away from home.

3. 2015: Dublin Destroyers (23.9.147) def PNL Reindeers (21.8.134)
The Reindeers lost both Dane Swan and Nathan Jones early, and they couldn't recover from it, despite a relatively low score from Dublin. Dublin showed a little bit of wobble, while PNL's finals curse began.

4. 2014: Dublin Destroyers (28.15.183) defeated Mexico City Suns (23.12.150)
In what everyone thought would be the Grand Final, Dublin were SCARY good in this match. A 150 score is good any week, and Dublin pulled out a 183? Dublin's Robbie Gray and Tom Rockliff scored over 500 points between them.

5. 2012: Cape Town Cobras (23.13.151) defeated Buenos Aires Armadillos (21.14.140)
Buenos Aires had a terrific finals series and had only just qualified for the top 4, but Cape Town's superb midfield was way too strong. Cape Town make the first WXV Grand final, and the highlight of Cape Town's history.

6. 2012: Sao Paulo Pumas (20.17.137) lost to Mexico City Suns (24.19.163)
Pumas were clearly the best team of the year, and the Suns had lost its first final. The Suns were way too strong this day, on the way to winning the first ever WXV flag, as the Pumas had a rare stutter and only its 2nd loss of the year.

7. 2013: Mexico City Suns (26.17.173) defeated Berlin Brewers (22.13.145)
Berlin's fairy tale season ended, and although they were competitive, the Suns had a MAMMOTH day, and nobody could touch them

8. 2014: Sao Paulo Pumas (25.18.168) defeated Buenos Aires Armadillos (19.14.128)
Buenos Aires had run out of puff late in the season, and it showed here, with them barely putting up a yelp to an impressive Puma team.

Jroo

Good luck NDT, been a great achievement to get to the Prelims but hopefully your run ends here  :P

Ricochet

Quote from: JROO8 on August 17, 2016, 03:25:11 PM
Good luck NDT, been a great achievement to get to the Prelims but hopefully your run ends here  :P
Same to you mate!

and "hopefully"??  :o Mexico are already scared!

Jroo

Quote from: Ricochet on August 17, 2016, 03:28:29 PM
Same to you mate!

Hahah I'm the one with Rocky, you guys should be scared!

Ricochet

Quote from: JROO8 on August 17, 2016, 03:30:11 PM
Same to you mate!

B!tch pls

Sidey would run rings about Rocky ;)

Purple 77

Quote from: Ricochet on August 17, 2016, 03:41:20 PM
Quote from: JROO8 on August 17, 2016, 03:30:11 PM
Same to you mate!

B!tch pls

Sidey would run rings about Rocky ;)

I think I could run rings around Rocky, it's the talent thing I don't have :P

Holz

Alex Rance, Grant Birchall, Heath Grundy, Oscar Mcdonald
Joel Selwood (CC), Adam Treloar (CC), Rory Sloane, Nick Dal Santo
Todd Goldstein
Dustin Martin, Jack Gunston, Jack Reiwoldt, Lance Franklin
Majak Daw, Lachy Hansen

Sam Collins, Jack Silvagni, Ben Crocker

very tough captain choice this week, very nervous on Jelly over Dmart.

Ricochet

BREAKING:  NDT STAR AXED!!
Bamian Darrett  |  August 18, 2016   9:00pm

On the eve of a monster Preliminary Final against Mexico Suns, it's come to light that experienced midfielder Kieren Jack will be dropped for what is without doubt the biggest game in NDT's gloomy history.

Key NDT figures are reportedly furious at Jack for his recent trade talks with rival clubs.

It is our understanding that Jack has even agreed to the terms of a trade.

Co-coach Elephants offered no comment when questioned this evening, instead resorted to throwing peanuts and squirting water at reporters gathered at the front of NDT Headquarters at Tata Stadium.

More to come...

A disappointed Kieren Jack earlier today

Nige

Quote from: Ricochet on August 18, 2016, 07:25:28 PM
Bamian Darrett

Quote from: Ricochet on August 18, 2016, 07:25:28 PM
Co-coach Elephants offered no comment when questioned this evening, instead resorted to throwing peanuts and squirting water at reporters

;D ;D ;D

ossie85

Great stuff.

Will his parents be pleased or displeased?

Jroo

Mexico City Suns
D: Heath Shaw, Kade Simpson, Matthew Broadbent, Dylan Buckley
M: Tom Rockliff (C), Trent Cotchin (VC), Brad Ebert, Sam Gray
R: Shaun Hampson
F: Nick Riewoldt, Brent Harvey, Eddie Betts, Adam Cooney
U: Daniel Wells, Ryan Davis

EMG: George Hewett, Tom Papley, Jonathan Marsh

Ricochet

New Delhi Tigers

DEF Daniel Rich, Jeremy Howe, Nathan Krakouer, Tommy Bugg
MID Steele Sidebottom (C), Stephen Coniglio (VC), BTB Crouch, Tom Scully