Main Menu

Demons off season/trade thread

Started by Barra13, September 08, 2015, 11:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barra13

So just a recap;

IN: Jake Melksham (Essendon)
OUT: Pick 25

IN: Ben Kennedy (Collingwood), pick 29 (Port Adelaide), pick 50 (Port Adelaide)
OUT: Jeremy Howe, Jimmy Toumpas

IN: Pick 3 (Gold Coast), pick 10 (Gold Coast), pick 43 (Gold Coast)
OUT: Pick 6, pick 29, 2016 first round pick

IN: Pick 94 (Hawthorn)
OUT: Jake Fitzpatrick

IN: Tomas Bugg (GWS), pick 7 (GWS)
OUT: Pick 10, pick 43, pick 64

Overall, I give it a 7+3/10  8)

Purple 77

Is good.

Would have loved the big fish, but will settle for this.

Big Mac

Holz

would look alot better with pick 25.

Big Mac

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-10-22/dees-sign-sos-aka-son-of-smith

Interesting signing

Son of former Melbourne player, 191cm, can run a sub 2.8s 20m sprint (fastest person ran 2.88 seconds at the combine this year), and apparently has a good jump on him too

If he can mark we could have a real player on our hands

Purple 77

Eh, sure why not.

Always liked the romance of Family & Club.

Big Mac

Found this

Father, Shaun was just interviewed on SEN and his comments about Joel were:
- Played under 16's football
- Dropped footy to focus on VCE and Basketball
- In the Dees sights for nearly a year.
- Dees liked his athleticism
- Last year he did some trials and kicking with the Dees.
- Being son of a former player appealed
- mfc left it up to Joel to think about it for a year
- with Howe going it provided an opportunity for someone like Joel...he alluded to maybe taking high marks like Howe
- Joel is 6.3" and Shaun sees him as a forward, has endurance and a tank.

Barra13

JAMES Harmes will be upgraded to Melbourne's senior list in 2016 after agreeing to terms with the Demons to extend his contract by one year.

Harmes broke through in 2015 to play eight of the final nine games after making his debut in round 15.

The 20-year-old kicked two goals in the final game of the season in the Demons' win over Greater Western Sydney, matched up early on Heath Shaw, and impressed throughout with his attack on the ball.

Melbourne football manager Josh Mahoney said Harmes showed he was comfortable at AFL level by season's end and he shaped as a good prospect. 

"He provides us with some flexibility. He has the attributes to play through the midfield but also his marking ability makes him a dangerous option as a forward," Mahoney told AFL.com.au

"He plays a style we want to play. He is hard at the ball and competitive."

After being rookie listed in 2014, Harmes had to overcome a punctured lung suffered midway through his first season to string together a series of consistent performances.

Noted for his aggressive style, Harmes grew up barracking for the Demons and played for the Dandenong Stingrays in the TAC Cup.

He averaged 11 disposals and three tackles in his eight games, with an even split between contested and uncontested possessions.

Meanwhile, Jayden Hunt has also been given a one-year contract for 2016.

Hunt, who has yet to make his AFL debut, has battled injuries in his first two seasons.

But the 20-year-old has displayed genuine promise as a dashing utility when he has played for Casey, particularly in a patch of matches in the latter part of 2015.

Mahoney told the club's website Hunt had earned his spot on the list for next year.

"Jayden had an interrupted start to his AFL career, suffering medium to long-term injuries in both years," Mahoney said.

"His form at VFL level over a block of four to six weeks this year showed us that he's got capabilities to become an AFL player.

"He deserves an extra year on the primary list."

Hunt was selected at No.57 in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft.

Melbourne had a successful trade period recruiting Essendon's Jake Melksham, Collingwood's Ben Kennedy and Greater Western Sydney's Tomas Bugg as well as moving up the draft order to take picks No.3 and No.7 into the draft.

Purple 77

Glad with both of those extensions  8)

I wonder what the wait was with Harmes though?

Big Mac

Quote from: Purple 77 on October 28, 2015, 05:38:27 PM

Might have been on holiday or something?

Purple 77

Quote from: Big  Mac on October 28, 2015, 08:56:33 PM

I'm just guessing, but I'd wager Melbourne wanted to retain him on the Rookie list, and Harmesy wanted a senior spot. Kinda makes sense seeing as he was given 1 year? If Melbourne wanted him on the senior list, I imagine the contract would at least be 2 years?

Still holding out hope we pay Terlich out and get a delisted free agent. Matty Wright or even Jarrad Grant offer more than what he would.

Big Mac

Quote from: Purple 77 on October 28, 2015, 09:26:50 PM

I'm just guessing, but I'd wager Melbourne wanted to retain him on the Rookie list, and Harmesy wanted a senior spot. Kinda makes sense seeing as he was given 1 year? If Melbourne wanted him on the senior list, I imagine the contract would at least be 2 years?

Still holding out hope we pay Terlich out and get a delisted free agent. Matty Wright or even Jarrad Grant offer more than what he would.

Hmm yeh I guess that could be it

Not sure paying out Terlich is the right call. Yeh he probably won't play another AFL game, but I just feel like if we want players to honour their contracts, then we should honour the players' contracts. Also, paying out contracts isn't exactly cheap - I wouldn't want to make it a habit.

We still need to delist someone if we want to use pick 50, so even if we did drop Terlich we still wouldn't be able to pick up a DFA. Do you reckon Michie is on the chopping block?

Purple 77

Quote from: Big  Mac on October 28, 2015, 09:48:24 PM
Quote from: Purple 77 on October 28, 2015, 09:26:50 PM

Hmm yeh I guess that could be it

Not sure paying out Terlich is the right call. Yeh he probably won't play another AFL game, but I just feel like if we want players to honour their contracts, then we should honour the players' contracts. Also, paying out contracts isn't exactly cheap - I wouldn't want to make it a habit.

We still need to delist someone if we want to use pick 50, so even if we did drop Terlich we still wouldn't be able to pick up a DFA. Do you reckon Michie is on the chopping block?

Actually didn't know we had to delist someone to make room for Pick 50!

Michie is out of contract apparently, so I do think he will get the chop  :-\ Pick 50 should turn into Pick 37ish anyway (with academy points), so it is not as bad a pick as it sounds.

Barra13

Jones 27, Melksham 24

Brayshaw 19, Petracca 19, Gawn 23, Garland 26 (UFA),

Dunn 27, Hogan 20, Viney 20, Lumumba 28, Kennedy-Harris 20, Salem 19, Vandenberg 23, Neal-Bullen 19, Stretch 18, Kennedy* 21, Bugg* 23

Trengove 22, Dawes 26, Grimes 25 (RFA), Watts 24 (RFA),  Vince 29, Tyson* 21, Kent 21, M Jones 27, Spencer 25 (UFA), T McDonald 22, Terlich 25, Jetta 25, Garlett 25, Frost 21, Newton 22, O McDonald 19, Pedersen 28, Hunt 19, Harmes 19,  King ®19, White ®18, Smith ®20

Michie 23,

OUT : Cross (Ret.), Jamar (Del.), McKenzie (Del.), Riley (Del.), Bail (Del.), Fitzpatrick (Del.), Howe (T), Toumpas (T)

INS : Melksham, Kennedy, Bugg, Smith ®, Vandenberg (Upgraded), Harmes (Upgraded), ND3, ND7, ND35~, ND39~, ND74~,

Open Spots - PL: 3 RL: 2

* = Require confirmation...

Barra13

Basically means that there is at least one more delisting to happen.