Rule Change Discussion for 2015/16

Started by Ringo, July 20, 2015, 12:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LF

Quote from: Nige on July 22, 2015, 12:02:14 PM
Quote from: nostradamus on July 22, 2015, 11:43:36 AM
More players relevant = better competition  8)
Tis a good point.

It will also make trading a lot more fun

nostradamus

Quote from: LF on July 22, 2015, 01:09:34 PM
Quote from: Nige on July 22, 2015, 12:02:14 PM
Quote from: nostradamus on July 22, 2015, 11:43:36 AM
More players relevant = better competition  8)
Tis a good point.

It will also make trading a lot more fun

l'm struggling to find negative on any level

Memphistopheles

I tend to agree with Spite here.

It means learning a whole new complicated scoring system on top of all the others we do. The re-assessing our teams again and trying to figure out a new plan going forwards.

We traded out kpp because their value was not as good in Sportal but, now they might be worth it. It seems like an overemphasis on marks in SS to be honest.

I'd gotten used to the Sportal one and the DT and Sportsbet ones are fairly similar to each other. I still don't have a great idea on SC but after 3 seasons of playing it I've got a sense of who scores well.

What I'd like is to do a UF league and we can customise the scoring. We can make it fairly simple for everyone and just have categories that we like

If we needed to pay for premium stats then I'd be willing to pay for a league so we can get them. Coaches don't have to join the league either - I could post a list of all the player scores in here every week so you can update results/get stats on players. It's very easy to do from UF.

JBs-Hawks

nrich102

Yeah, I'd be happy to just stay with DT+SC/2.

GoLions

Quote from: Memphistopheles on July 21, 2015, 02:19:34 PM
Quote from: Ringo on July 21, 2015, 02:01:40 PM
Scoring system needs to decided as a priority as you say GL as it will effect trading.

Stadium Sports scoring system for those that have not seen it:
Effective Kick   6
Ineffective Kick    -1
Clanger Kick    -8
Effective Handball    2
Ineffective Handball    -1
Handball Clanger    -4
Handball receive    1
Hardball Get    5.5
Loose-Ball get    1
Goal    10
Behind    1
Mark uncontested (maintaining possession)    1
Mark contested (maintaining possession)    8
Mark uncontested (from opposition)    10
Mark contested (from opposition)    20
Tackles    3.5
Free kick for    2
Free kick against    -4
Hitout to advantage    4
Outside 50 Goal    20
Running bounce    2
Shephard    2
Smother    5
Goal Assist    5
Marks inside 50    3

Quite an extensive list and one I favour if they start from Round 1.  If they do not start from Round 1 does anyone who is a little more computer literate than me know if we can get all these statistics  from CD and whether they can be down loaded so we can calculate maybe manually till Stadium Sports gets up. 

Just checked the site and if they delay start we can still go back and get all the scores for previous games.

Hmm.

Not a huge fan of awarding so many points for things. That seems like a lot of points for marks compared to other facets of the game

Rids do you know it we can we run our own league within Stadium Sport and set our own scoring? That would be able to get us closer to the Sportal Scoring I reckon.

PS - Ringo I was just about to post that!

PPS - I don't think Champion Data will give out statistics unless you pay money. I'm fairly sure I enquired once about it.
Agreed. Like, an intercept mark could potentially prevent an opponent from scoring, or lead to a scoring shot for your own team. But, for example, a goal is a 100% guarantee of scoring for your team. So it makes zero sense for an intercept mark to be worth so much. Couple of other stats are weighted too heavily as well, but that was the main one that stood out to me.

If we can get something fairly close to the Sportal scoring I'd be happy with that. Otherwise just stick with what we're doing atm I guess.

LF

The current scoring system sucks the variation on some players DT to SC score is freaking ridiculous
I hate it,it made a lot of my team irrelevant especially when you have a DT score of 45 to a SC of 84 due to said player having a bunch of CP's which is a key part of sportal scoring it brings the players score down a lot.

Also  people that say things like "intercept mark weighted so much makes no sense" seem to forget that SC weights to shower like that which makes no sense and never has,at least they have it there for you to see included in the scoring.

Spite

Quote from: LF on July 29, 2015, 01:21:29 AM
The current scoring system sucks the variation on some players DT to SC score is freaking ridiculous
I hate it,it made a lot of my team irrelevant especially when you have a DT score of 45 to a SC of 84 due to said player having a bunch of CP's which is a key part of sportal scoring it brings the players score down a lot.

Also  people that say things like "intercept mark weighted so much makes no sense" seem to forget that SC weights to shower like that which makes no sense and never has,at least they have it there for you to see included in the scoring.

Do you hate it because you dislike the scoring, or because you feel like you got the short end of the straw and it destroyed your team? Memph kindly offered to use the UF customisable scoring system for us and that seems like a good option to me.

LF

Quote from: Spite on July 29, 2015, 01:31:06 AM
Quote from: LF on July 29, 2015, 01:21:29 AM

Do you hate it because you dislike the scoring, or because you feel like you got the short end of the straw and it destroyed your team? Memph kindly offered to use the UF customisable scoring system for us and that seems like a good option to me.

I hate it because it's not a proper scoring system for one,it was a quick fix for this season when we had no other options suitable to use and it's just rubbish constantly seeing a player that you know scores well in sportal seeing their score bought down every week because they suck at DT scoring system,this in turn renders the useless for trading.

UF doesn't have everything we need for sportal scoring system atm,maybe they will next year who knows,thing is we probably won't before trading and drafting so then we are back to square one again.

Rids

I dont think we can keep the current scoring system tbh. Teams were drafted and trades were made based on the sportal scoring system. LF is 100% correct. The DT scoring is too simplistic and does not reflect in any way what sportal was. This was a band-aid fix for this year but surely can't be used moving forward.

I am.unsure why people are hesitant to try stadium tbh. Yes it lools like there are more stats involved but we will have a platform that makes more players relevant which would enhance the competition we already have. If we can't agree on a new scoring system going forward then we should really go back to the sportal system. Whether that is by spreadsheet or UF doesn't matter.

kilbluff1985

i do really want to use sportal scoring or close to if at all possible also

i just prefer the current system if we cant out of the options

Ringo

Just a couple of comments from an Admin point of view:

1. As we know this system was brought in as we had no other options. I do not like it at all but have persevered.  It takes me the best part of half an hour to update each match by the time I go into the each of DT and SC scores. Occasionally I find thet even though site says scores complete in green they still change which is also frustrating.

2. Do not like the idea of running own spreadsheet to do our own stats as we can not get a download of stats so all will have to be entered manually.

3. Ultimate footy we rejected due to the limited number of stats available for free.
Theses stats are available
KI    Kicks       
HB    Handballs       
MA    Marks       
HO    Hitouts       
TK    Tackles       
FF    Free Kicks For       
FA    Free Kicks Against       
FD    Free Kick Differential       
GL    Goals       
BH    Behinds       
D    Disposals    Upgrade to Stats PLUS to access this stat category.    
ED    Effective Disposals    Upgrade to Stats PLUS to access this stat category.    
IED    Ineffective Disposals    Upgrade to Stats PLUS to access this stat category.    
CP    Contested Possessions    Upgrade to Stats PLUS to access this stat category.    
R50    Rebound 50s    Upgrade to Stats PLUS to access this stat category.    
SP    Spoils    Upgrade to Stats PLUS to access this stat category.    
CL    Clearances    Upgrade to Stats PLUS to access this stat category.
As you can see the last 7 required us to upgrade to obtain access to these points which at the time we voted against. Not sure whether we need to pay for one upgrade to get a league going or whether all 16 have to pay.

4. Stadium Sports has a greater collection of stats when compared to others and similar to ultimate sports can get a score straight away as well. Easy to update.

Will send out a vote next week so we can get a decision prior to trading and delisting, Vote will be on 3 options
1. Continue as is
2. Use The Ultimate Sports Upgrade Scoring system.
3. Use Stadium Sports.

there will also be a couple of other votes included as well so watch your PM's next week.

nostradamus

There's a point I'd like to mention which relates to footy in the real world ............ the teams that win premierships are the ones that are the best defensively.

Stadium is the platform that most accurately reflects this, that's why so many more players are fantasy relevant under this system.

More relevant players equates to a better competition, a larger pool of good scoring players, more competitive teams and not least importantly, improved trading...........quite frankly I think it would reinvigorate the League and be better for everyone in the short and longterm.

Rids

Quote from: Ringo on July 29, 2015, 09:20:32 AM
Just a couple of comments from an Admin point of view:

1. As we know this system was brought in as we had no other options. I do not like it at all but have persevered.  It takes me the best part of half an hour to update each match by the time I go into the each of DT and SC scores. Occasionally I find thet even though site says scores complete in green they still change which is also frustrating.

2. Do not like the idea of running own spreadsheet to do our own stats as we can not get a download of stats so all will have to be entered manually.

3. Ultimate footy we rejected due to the limited number of stats available for free.
Theses stats are available
KI    Kicks       
HB    Handballs       
MA    Marks       
HO    Hitouts       
TK    Tackles       
FF    Free Kicks For       
FA    Free Kicks Against       
FD    Free Kick Differential       
GL    Goals       
BH    Behinds       
D    Disposals    Upgrade to Stats PLUS to access this stat category.    
ED    Effective Disposals    Upgrade to Stats PLUS to access this stat category.    
IED    Ineffective Disposals    Upgrade to Stats PLUS to access this stat category.    
CP    Contested Possessions    Upgrade to Stats PLUS to access this stat category.    
R50    Rebound 50s    Upgrade to Stats PLUS to access this stat category.    
SP    Spoils    Upgrade to Stats PLUS to access this stat category.    
CL    Clearances    Upgrade to Stats PLUS to access this stat category.
As you can see the last 7 required us to upgrade to obtain access to these points which at the time we voted against. Not sure whether we need to pay for one upgrade to get a league going or whether all 16 have to pay.

4. Stadium Sports has a greater collection of stats when compared to others and similar to ultimate sports can get a score straight away as well. Easy to update.

Will send out a vote next week so we can get a decision prior to trading and delisting, Vote will be on 3 options
1. Continue as is
2. Use The Ultimate Sports Upgrade Scoring system.
3. Use Stadium Sports.

there will also be a couple of other votes included as well so watch your PM's next week.

As I have said before though this is not an issue. I will be able to gain access to those other stats if they are available.

Rids

My main concern with the current scoring system is we are undervaluing certain players. I will use some examples:

Robert Murphy
Currently 10th on averages (defenders) in SC averaging 93
Currently 28th on averages (defenders) in DT averaging 78

Easton Wood
Currently 22nd on averages (defenders) in SC averaging 86
Currently 40th on averages (defenders) in DT averaging 73

Nathan Fyfe
Currently 1st on averages (midfielders) in SC averaging 125
Currently 12th on averages (midfielders) in DT averaging 105

Brett Deledio
Currently 2nd on averages (forwards) in SC averaging 110
Currently 11th on averages (forwards) in DT averaging 93

I am aware that there an examples the other way.

DT does not have contested/uncontested possession categories as well as clangers. This is an important thing to understand. SC is much more reflective to sportal than DT due to this.