Rule Change Discussion for 2015/16

Started by Ringo, July 20, 2015, 12:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Memphistopheles

Quote from: Ringo on July 21, 2015, 08:07:19 AM
Just to clarify the round robin if we decide to continue it will be for points but will run for Rounds 1 - 3 based The 4 Teams in each Round Robin to be decided on finishing positions this year.  Realise as it currently stands teams 4 and 8 slightly disadvantaged so hence why moving to start of competitions.

Another change to consider is do we introduce a mid season draft after round 7? Rules to be agreed but basically will one by one ie a player delisted and a player taken from delisted and left over players. Draft in Reverse ladder order and not snaked and will be optional whether to participate or not.

Not a huge fan of the round robin either. Let's just play each other team once (15 AFL rounds), have the bye off (3 AFL rounds) and then finals from AFL Rounds 19, 20, 21 and 22 (skip the last AFL round due to teams resting players). Would that not work?

I'm also against a mid- season draft. I prefer this instead: "the week after the NAB Cup has ended and before the AFL season starts we have one final draft - the pre-season draft - where teams can pick a maximum of 2 players (could even be one) up if they have space on their list.

Nige

Quote from: Memphistopheles on July 21, 2015, 10:43:46 AM
Just to clarify the round robin if we decide to continue it will be for points but will run for Rounds 1 - 3 based The 4 Teams in each Round Robin to be decided on finishing positions this year.  Realise as it currently stands teams 4 and 8 slightly disadvantaged so hence why moving to start of competitions.

Another change to consider is do we introduce a mid season draft after round 7? Rules to be agreed but basically will one by one ie a player delisted and a player taken from delisted and left over players. Draft in Reverse ladder order and not snaked and will be optional whether to participate or not.

Not a huge fan of the round robin either. Let's just play each other team once (15 AFL rounds), have the bye off (3 AFL rounds) and then finals from AFL Rounds 19, 20, 21 and 22 (skip the last AFL round due to teams resting players). Would that not work?

I'm also against a mid- season draft. I prefer this instead: "the week after the NAB Cup has ended and before the AFL season starts we have one final draft - the pre-season draft - where teams can pick a maximum of 2 players (could even be one) up if they have space on their list.

Yep, exactly this. Well said Memph.

Rids

Quote from: Memphistopheles on July 21, 2015, 10:43:46 AM

Happy with this as well

Ringo

Great discussion guys so keep it going. For the record you are not offending me at all by knocking my suggestions as I am just putting ideas out there to discuss and also feel free to throw in any ideas that you have as it is your competition as well not mine solely I just have to do the admin.

Really need suggestions on what to do with the 3 bye rounds though as I think to suspend competition for 3 weeks may lose momentum. Was thinking maybe a 3 round North v South Challenge with players selected from the 12 competing Teams each week.
Other Idea I had is we run a knock out 10s competition but means final will also be played at same time as resumption of fixtures but should not cause too many problems.

2nd thing we need to discuss is what format we will use next year - Do we continue with half combined or look at another scoring system eg Stadium Sports if they are up on time or use an adaption of Ultimate sports? 

GoLions

North vs South challenge sounds good to me.

Whatever scoring system we go with, probably need to know prior to the trade period. Cause like, if we continue with current system, then someone like Shannon Hurn isn't as valuable to me. But if we changed to another system with scoring more similar to SC, then he would become much better for my team.

LF

The scoring system we use is something we need to try and decide on before drafting and trading.
We all know that some scoring systems do no suit some players and this could be a key factor in who people trade in or out of their teams.
Is there anyway we can some how use the sportal scoring system they have managed to keep using the SB scoring in Asians,we still have a post that has the scoring somewhere don't we?

Rids

Quote from: Ringo on July 21, 2015, 01:46:57 PM
Great discussion guys so keep it going. For the record you are not offending me at all by knocking my suggestions as I am just putting ideas out there to discuss and also feel free to throw in any ideas that you have as it is your competition as well not mine solely I just have to do the admin.

Really need suggestions on what to do with the 3 bye rounds though as I think to suspend competition for 3 weeks may lose momentum. Was thinking maybe a 3 round North v South Challenge with players selected from the 12 competing Teams each week.
Other Idea I had is we run a knock out 10s competition but means final will also be played at same time as resumption of fixtures but should not cause too many problems.

2nd thing we need to discuss is what format we will use next year - Do we continue with half combined or look at another scoring system eg Stadium Sports if they are up on time or use an adaption of Ultimate sports?

My website writers are the ones doing the articles for Stadium Fantasy so if you would like I could ask them the question about next year and whether they will start from rd 1.

The scoring system for Stadium is very solid imo. I have thoroughly enjoyed it this year as I have gotten to know it better (obviously from writing articles etc). The scoring system also makes most players relevant.

LF

Stadium Sports scoring is great I like it,it rewards defenders as well.

Ringo

Scoring system needs to decided as a priority as you say GL as it will effect trading.

Stadium Sports scoring system for those that have not seen it:
Effective Kick   6
Ineffective Kick    -1
Clanger Kick    -8
Effective Handball    2
Ineffective Handball    -1
Handball Clanger    -4
Handball receive    1
Hardball Get    5.5
Loose-Ball get    1
Goal    10
Behind    1
Mark uncontested (maintaining possession)    1
Mark contested (maintaining possession)    8
Mark uncontested (from opposition)    10
Mark contested (from opposition)    20
Tackles    3.5
Free kick for    2
Free kick against    -4
Hitout to advantage    4
Outside 50 Goal    20
Running bounce    2
Shephard    2
Smother    5
Goal Assist    5
Marks inside 50    3

Quite an extensive list and one I favour if they start from Round 1.  If they do not start from Round 1 does anyone who is a little more computer literate than me know if we can get all these statistics  from CD and whether they can be down loaded so we can calculate maybe manually till Stadium Sports gets up. 

Just checked the site and if they delay start we can still go back and get all the scores for previous games.

Rids

There is a stats centre for Stadium so we could just use that to get the scores.

I will throw them a message and see the thought process for next year.

Ringo

and for the record here is the Sportal scoring system we have used prior to this season.

Kick    3 Points
Handball    1 Point
Contested Possession *    4 Points
Uncontested Possession **    2 Points
Tackle    3 Points
Hitout    1 Point
Clanger ***    -5 Points
Goal    6 Points
Behind    1 Point

* A contested possession is any possession won in dispute (this includes contested mark, hardball-get, looseball-get, free kick for).
** An uncontested possession is any possession gained from a team mate (uncontested mark, handball-receive).
*** Clangers include any blatant unforced error including free kick against, 50m penalty against, dropped mark

So you can see Stadium Sports will recoginise different types of players again. We need some uniqueness in our scoring to set us apart from other 15's.

Memphistopheles

Quote from: Ringo on July 21, 2015, 02:01:40 PM
Scoring system needs to decided as a priority as you say GL as it will effect trading.

Stadium Sports scoring system for those that have not seen it:
Effective Kick   6
Ineffective Kick    -1
Clanger Kick    -8
Effective Handball    2
Ineffective Handball    -1
Handball Clanger    -4
Handball receive    1
Hardball Get    5.5
Loose-Ball get    1
Goal    10
Behind    1
Mark uncontested (maintaining possession)    1
Mark contested (maintaining possession)    8
Mark uncontested (from opposition)    10
Mark contested (from opposition)    20
Tackles    3.5
Free kick for    2
Free kick against    -4
Hitout to advantage    4
Outside 50 Goal    20
Running bounce    2
Shephard    2
Smother    5
Goal Assist    5
Marks inside 50    3

Quite an extensive list and one I favour if they start from Round 1.  If they do not start from Round 1 does anyone who is a little more computer literate than me know if we can get all these statistics  from CD and whether they can be down loaded so we can calculate maybe manually till Stadium Sports gets up. 

Just checked the site and if they delay start we can still go back and get all the scores for previous games.

Hmm.

Not a huge fan of awarding so many points for things. That seems like a lot of points for marks compared to other facets of the game

Rids do you know it we can we run our own league within Stadium Sport and set our own scoring? That would be able to get us closer to the Sportal Scoring I reckon.

PS - Ringo I was just about to post that!

PPS - I don't think Champion Data will give out statistics unless you pay money. I'm fairly sure I enquired once about it.

LF

No you can't use your own scoring on stadium sports,it runs the same as Supercoach or DT.
It's not like Ultimate Footy

Rusty00

Quote from: Memphistopheles on July 21, 2015, 02:19:34 PM
PPS - I don't think Champion Data will give out statistics unless you pay money. I'm fairly sure I enquired once about it.
Do we need to get the stats from Champion Data? I've just been using the stats from the AFL website this year to keep a track of my players "Sportal scores" for my own record.

nostradamus

l like the Stadium system, for mine it seems to reflect a players actual worth and impact on the game