Rule Change Discussion for 2015/16

Started by Ringo, July 20, 2015, 12:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

Starting this thread to allow discussion for any rule changes required for 2015/16

Some changes already mooted in the discussion thread but can continue discussion here and a new one added.

1. Just another item for discussion.  As we know AFL lists are 48 players so thinking that as we have a number of left over draft players and with 16 teams increasing our lists to 48 as well 42 Senior Player plus 6 rookies listed players. Means 1 extra on Senior List and 2 extra on rookie list. 

2. Discussion on draw whether we continue with a round robin like this year except for first 3 rounds next year or no matches during byes and just a home and away season of 15 matches,

3. Amending replacement players rule to only allow replacements of players that do not play after final teams announced on Friday.  We have cases of people naming teams that include players not named in teams but as per rules, at the moment, do not get penalised as they are replaced with emergencies who at time score well and allow wins.

LF

No round robin,just don't play through the byes maybe run a comp like World etc during the byes instead.
And lists are big enough now imo,don't need them to be bigger and having to carry more players that are just fillers.

Nige

Quote from: LF on July 20, 2015, 01:13:22 PM
No round robin,just don't play through the byes maybe run a comp like World etc during the byes instead.
And lists are big enough now imo,don't need them to be bigger and having to carry more players that are just fillers.
These two and potentially being harsher on non or incorrect submission of one's team.

GoLions

Posting for updates and also cause I wanna make a decent post when I get home from work.

Memphistopheles

Do we have an official rule on priority picks?

If not I think we should have it spelled out loud and clear rather than trying to go off what we think would work best for the various teams who might get one at the time.

I'd suggest that they be tied to performance but, based over a couple of seasons not just one year as clubs can have a down season but still be good or have a decent year but still be bad.

So something like this:

If you win five games or less over two seasons you get a priority pick in the middle of the first round.

If you win less than 8 games over two seasons you get a priority pick at the end of the first round.

Ringo

This is the current rule:

3.4 Teams finishing with 4 wins or less will be allocated a priority pick at the conclusion of the fisrt round of draft.  Order will be based on finishing position on Ladder.  Tanking for these picks will not be tolerated and penalty will be loss of both 1st round and priority pick

So feel free to discuss based on Memphs suggestion. My thoughts are if you do not win more than 5 games over 2 years even a mid round priority pick is a little late.  Following on from Memphs suggestion I would see something like this:
1. If you win less than 5 games over the last 2 years you will receive a priority pick immediately after pick 3 in the National Draft based on ladder positions for the previous year.
2. If you win between 5 and 8 games over the last 2 years you will be receive a priority pick at conclusion of Round 1 of the Draft based on ladder position for the previous year.

Spite

Quote from: Ringo on July 20, 2015, 01:51:02 PM
This is the current rule:

3.4 Teams finishing with 4 wins or less will be allocated a priority pick at the conclusion of the fisrt round of draft.  Order will be based on finishing position on Ladder.  Tanking for these picks will not be tolerated and penalty will be loss of both 1st round and priority pick

So feel free to discuss based on Memphs suggestion. My thoughts are if you do not win more than 5 games over 2 years even a mid round priority pick is a little late.  Following on from Memphs suggestion I would see something like this:
1. If you win less than 5 games over the last 2 years you will receive a priority pick immediately after pick 3 in the National Draft based on ladder positions for the previous year.
2. If you win between 5 and 8 games over the last 2 years you will be receive a priority pick at conclusion of Round 1 of the Draft based on ladder position for the previous year.

I like the current rule.

Not across two seasons. If Giants win 1 game this year and then 7 next season, I don't think they should get a bonus pick next season as 7 is quite a lot of wins.

Ringo

Just a couple of comments - maybe we run a 3 week north v South challenge during the byes. Details to be worked out.

Point taken with lists but I am sure lower teams who have had trouble naming a full team would have liked players like Oxley, McIntosh, Steinberg, Lake and Newman as depth cover. Do we allow teams finishing 13 - 16 to increase their team lists as well? Details to be worked out but would envisage picks from left over draft selections.

Memphistopheles

Quote from: Ringo on July 20, 2015, 02:02:21 PM

Just a couple of comments - maybe we run a 3 week north v South challenge during the byes. Details to be worked out.

Point taken with lists but I am sure lower teams who have had trouble naming a full team would have liked players like Oxley, McIntosh, Steinberg, Lake and Newman as depth cover. Do we allow teams finishing 13 - 16 to increase their team lists as well? Details to be worked out but would envisage picks from left over draft selections.

I'm in favour of increasing team lists.

What would have been handy this year, though I have no idea how you'd go about it, would have been the ability to pick up a playing player after the season had started once we knew who was getting regular games.

I mean let's face it I doubt any of the bottom teams would have taken Oxley or McIntosh in the draft last year even if we had an extra pick because they weren't on anyone's radar until the pre-season.

How about in the week after the NAB Cup has ended and before the AFL season starts we have one final draft - the pre-season draft where teams can pick a maximum of 2 players (could even be one) up if they have space on their list.

Maybe remove a round from the rookie draft to accommodate this?

It's highly unlikely there will be any players available that might make a difference to teams in contention but, we'll have a better gauge on which rookies/previously unknown players might get a game in the real season and teams can pick up a depth selection then.

nrich102

I'd be for having an extra player on the rookie list, not quite so sure on the senior list though.

GoLions

I think increasing list size can potentially disadvantage the bottom teams as well. If there's a few rookies that don't get picked and end up playing and killing it, the bottom teams have first dibs in the rookie draft. Increasing list size makes it anyone's guess at that point of the year.
Pre-season draft could work though, with list sizes remaining the same.

Round Robin should only stay if it's not for premiership points. 5th, 9th get a big advantage, whereas 4th and 8th get disadvantaged. Doing something different during the byes would be good like LF said.

Don't see the problem with naming players who aren't playing? Assuming it's not a partial lockout, it can't advantage the coach in any way.

Also, I'd like to either be able to captain loophole for partial lockouts, or have VCs get 1.5x multiplier (obviously not both). I don't really understand what the big deal is, especially during byes. Makes it more fun for me personally, dunno what others think though.

One last thing, trade period (s). I'd like to increase the number of movements allowed, 15 isn't enough (or at least it wasn't for me last season :P ). Maybe bring it up to at least 20? Or maybe change what constitutes a movement. Such as on-trading picks/players, or simply picks themselves. Teams in the AFL aren't restricted here, so don't get why we are.

Nixon for President.

Ringo

Just to clarify the round robin if we decide to continue it will be for points but will run for Rounds 1 - 3 based The 4 Teams in each Round Robin to be decided on finishing positions this year.  Realise as it currently stands teams 4 and 8 slightly disadvantaged so hence why moving to start of competitions.

Another change to consider is do we introduce a mid season draft after round 7? Rules to be agreed but basically will one by one ie a player delisted and a player taken from delisted and left over players. Draft in Reverse ladder order and not snaked and will be optional whether to participate or not.

kilbluff1985

don't like midseason draft idea with the amount of teams we have

we have it in AXVIII SC but we have 12 teams so it is worth it

GoLions

Ringo, if you're set on the round robin being played for points, then IMO it should be completely randomized. Fairest way to do it I think.

Rusty00

Quote from: GoLions on July 21, 2015, 09:22:54 AM
Ringo, if you're set on the round robin being played for points, then IMO it should be completely randomized. Fairest way to do it I think.
Agree with this. We can't not play for points as then what is the point of even playing these games, which makes this the fairest option IMO.