WXV Round 14: Seoul face unlikely bogey team

Started by Purple 77, July 14, 2015, 06:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

NORMAL WEEKS OF FOOTY IS BACK!

Round 14, AFL Round 16

Home TeamAway TeamHead-to-HeadVenue
Beijing Thunder     v    Tokyo Samurai 1  v  2 Beijing Olympic Park   EurAsia, Asia     
Berlin Brewers     v    Cairo Sands 2  v  1 Berlin Olympic Stadium         
Cape Town Cobras     v    Dublin Destroyers 2  v  1 Newlands Cricket Ground         
Mexico City Suns     v    Buenos Aires Armadillos 2  v  1 Guadalajara   AAP Alliance, Americas     
Pacific Islanders     v    New York Revolution 2  v  1 Neutral,Manuka Oval,John McCarthy Memorial Match,AAP Alliance
PNL Reindeers     v    Moscow Spetsnaz 0  v  3 Stade du Ray   EurAsia, Europe     
Rio de Janeiro Jaguars     v    Christchurch Saints 0  v  0 Maracana Stadium   AAP Alliance     
Seoul Magpies     v    New Delhi Tigers 0  v  3 Seoul World Cup Stadium   EurAsia, Asia   
Toronto Wolves     v    London Royals 2  v  1 Rogers Centre         

Beijing's loss against Seoul really, really hurt their charge towards a place in finals. But, they're not done with yet as they are only a game and % outside the 8. With 4 games left until finals, they can't afford many more losses; one if they are lucky. Looking at the run home, Beijing face Pacific, New York and New Delhi after this clash with Tokyo. If they book a loss against New York now, that means they simply must win this game otherwise it might just be too hard. Tokyo are +0.19% away from being in the exact same situation as Beijing, but with matches against Seoul, New Delhi and Pacific to come. Even if they lose today, like Beijing, they still remain a shot for finals, but a win would give their chances a huge shot in the arm. This match is just the first of many crucial clashes this round, but with Beijing coming in as the form side in terms of scoring, aided by a HGA, I will back the Thunder.

Berlin are acting a lot more confident than they should be really. They are only 7th, a game and % in the 8, so they very well could self-implode and drop out of the finals race. With champion Nat Fyfe suffering a form slump, and forward Drew Petrie suspended, it could be going better for the Brewers. Especially when you consider last week was the 5th time Berlin had scored a 140+ score and lost, but whatever. They will also be facing Cairo at a very dangerous time; coming off their second win of the season! And boy, what a win it was! Against the odds, where no one really gave them a chance, they had a tremendous last quarter to overrun the more fancied Wolves in what was a truly inspired performance. However, Berlin should enter strong favourites, especially when you consider Cairo would have beaten them just once (Round 5) if they had played against each other every week. So yeah, pissed off that my winning streak was ended, so I'll back myself in to start another.

The Cobras are in the dreaded 9th position at the moment, only % out of the eight. They are one of three teams (Berlin and Pacific the others) sitting 7-6 and within reach of a finals spot. However, unlike Berlin and Pacific, they haven't faced Dublin, Mexico City, Moscow and PNL. Holy moley. The Cobras clearly have the worst run home than any other team, which can only be described as a nightmare. But they'll try anyway! They did rest star midfielder Josh P Kennedy after all in preparation with their clash against Dublin, who are probably as vulnerable as they're going to get this season. With their depth being tested and stars Sloane, Selwood, Watson and Roughead out, this is the perfect time for a #CobraStrike. And I'm not saying it's impossible either, they really do have a genuine shot if you ask me, especially with a home crowd. The Cobras have discovered the 150 barrier only twice this season; if they were to win, they need to do that a third time right now. Still, I'll tip Dublin, but I'm going for Cape Town.

Mexico City will take a breather in this match, after coming out victorious in a crucial clash against Moscow which has asserted them into the top 4. The Suns run home after Buenos Aires is troublesome, with Cape Town, PNL and Dublin all still to come. Buenos Aires can kiss they're 2015 winning days goodbye, as they face the same run home as Cape Town just in a different order. Now is a time to reflect I'd imagine, see which players played well and what youngsters emerged. The Dillos have actually had 4 rising star nominations this year, which would no doubt reassure that the future is in good hands. Heck, it'll be interesting still for the Dillos to see if these young charges can better their high score of 133 this year. So, with nothing to lose, just go for it hey Buenos Aires? The Suns will get it done. I do wonder who they'll rest though.

This is an extremely important match for the 8th placed Islanders. A win against the Revolution would make them favourites to finish at 8th place (as it is widely regarded that the first 7 places has been decided). After this match, the Islanders face Beijing, Seoul and Tokyo; all teams that they can be beaten by, but all teams they'd enter in as favourites, and probably with an allowance to drop one should they beat the Revolution. New York face the same run home as the Islanders, but are a cut above them if you ask me, and I think a place in the eight is safely held for the 6th placed Revolution. I'm a bit of fan actually, as they have been the 7th most attacking team this year, often without a host of their biggest weapons. I've been impressed, to say the least. Will back them over the Islanders, but the Islanders are capable.

I said after Round 6 when PNL defeated me, that I'd be on them the next time they slip up... I didn't think I'd have to wait 2 months for it to happen! Even still, the Reindeers were beaten by the best (Dublin) and scored well in the process, so there is no shame in that. Only questions (hehe, here I go..). Questions of whether they can match it with the best? Until last week against Dublin, the Reindeers had only played one team in the top 5 in Christchurch, whom they happened to beat in their poorest display of the season (and luckily for them, Christchurches as well). Their first loss came against the then top 4 material Toronto Wolves, and the other against the giant killers themselves in London. So, with games against Moscow now, and Mexico City... one questions as to whether they will make the 4? Do they deserve to be in the 4? Yes they are the second highest scoring team, but Berlin sits 7th as the next highest scoring team, and they're not even close to the 4. Perhaps the Reindeers can't cope with the pressure? (*and exhale, that was building up for a long time). Moscow were defeated by a rampant Suns outfit last week, and when you consider that they still almost cracked the 150 point barrier for the 4th time in 7 weeks, it seems almost unfair that they get pushed out of the 4. Obviously, a win is a must to force their way back in, and they would believe they can knock over the Reindeers on the road. But, will go for the home team in PNL in this one.

The Jaguars will feel like they've underachieved this season; as really they do have a very solid XV. One wonders if, had they had Gary Ablett all year, that they would be pushing for 8. I guess we'll have to wait until next year to find out, as the Jaguars season  is over after valiantly going down to the Royals last week. Still, that means they can't cause some havoc in the process for teams like Christchurch this week, Toronto and Berlin and ruin they're hopes of finals or top 4. The Saints you would feel, may have booked themselves a qualifying final last week with an impressive win over the Brewers whom were then the highest team on the ladder out of the Saints remaining opponents. The run home features teams in the bottom 8 now, so they would enter favourites in all of them, especially coming off your second successive 150+ score and 10th score 140+. But you know what? I reckon Rio are a sleeping giant; I've believed that all year, and I think GAJ is the alarm clock. The Jaguars in an upset!

Seoul would be grinning to themselves last week at making Beijing's season that little bit harder. It was their finest performance of the year and one that they'd be disappointed they've only come close too one other time. You'd even think they are a good chance to get back-to-back wins against the bottom placed Tigers, but you know what? They've never beaten them. Crazy really, when you consider the Tigers are looking at a consecutive bottom 4 finish, and the Seoul's debut year was strong. But the post-bye New Delhi is a different team to the pre-bye New Delhi. The Tigers have a new sense of life about them, who in the last 4 weeks have posted their two best scores and their 4th best score for the season... the Tigers would give themselves a chance here. If the Tigers could snatch just one more win, they'd be level with Buenos Aires and Cairo, but with an awfully inferior percentage. BUT, Buenos Aires are facing arguably the 4 toughest teams of the comp... they could get slaughtered in 4 straight weeks, and New Delhi could end up with a better percentage! But the first step is a win, and I reckon this is their best chance. But, will tip the form team in Seoul.

End of year, middle team clashes are always the most tense, and that is why this is my MATCH OF THE ROUND! Both teams sit 11th and 12th, 6-7 and Toronto 1.12% above London. London produced an inspired performance last week to get over the challenging Jaguars, whereas Toronto unbelievably went down to Cairo... a result that could really hurt in a months time. But, both teams are still a chance at finals; a loss here would still leave them with a chance, but a remote one. A win would change the outlook of their season really. Both teams are still to face two top 8 teams in Berlin and Christchurch however, and they need to beat one of those teams, but that's for their future-selves to worry about. Right now, they face a potentially season defining clash and it is oh so interesting to see who will come out on top. London would be devastated at the timing of Shane Edwards injury, whereas the Wolves continue to be let down by their bottom 4 players. Who will win? Damn, it's a toughy, but I'm going to tip the Wolves on this one, as I think the loss of Edwards is the deciding factor here.

Jukes

I have a feeling that we'll get done in by HGA this week. Just gotta keep up that 145+ consistency and we'll see how we go.

Also, pretty COINCIDENTAL that we had to play away against the other 3 sides gunning for spots 2-4. Very coincidental...

D: Vlastuin, Dunn, Docherty, Hombsch
M: Ward (cc), Heppell (cc), Armitage, GREENWOOD
R: Naitanui
F: Gray, Daniher, Hogan, Monfries
U: Sheed, Bastinac

Emg: Seedsman, Steven May, Ballantyne

meow meow

Holz

Watch out Roughy might be back this week. Thats huge for Dublin, I have 17 guys im comfortable starting and if Roughy and Selwood come back ill be happy with my team. Hopefully Sloaney can join them and walters can go to the bench despite not being a too shabby 15th man.

Holz

Tmac Rance Birchall Murphy
Boak Mundy Thompson NDS
Goldy (C)
Martin (VC) Buddy ROUGHY Gunston
Walters Bruce

Schoenemakers Jetta Holman

Levi434

Quote from: meow meow on July 14, 2015, 08:45:49 PM
Tom Scully > Gary Ablett jnr

Will agree if Scully outscores him this week.  :P

ossie85

You're going for Cape Town to beat Dublin Purps? Would've thought you'd love Cape Town to lose, better for Berlin

Battle of the newbies!

And the John McCarthy memorial trophy :(

I love reading these by the way, genuinely look forward to it every week.

Reckon Purps has done such an outstanding job at this, you should all vote for him for personality of the year

http://forum.fanfooty.com.au/index.php/topic,100151.0.html

(going ok with 9 votes already)

Purple 77

Quote from: ossie85 on July 15, 2015, 09:00:49 AM
You're going for Cape Town to beat Dublin Purps? Would've thought you'd love Cape Town to lose, better for Berlin

Dublin hate first, Berlin second  :P

I love reading these by the way, genuinely look forward to it every week.

Glad to hear, as I do feel people enjoy them, so it makes it easier to write

Reckon Purps has done such an outstanding job at this, you should all vote for him for personality of the year

Dayum, 9 votes?! I'm touched. Didn't even know the thread existed haha.

Holz

Quote from: Purple 77 on July 15, 2015, 09:38:51 AM

Dublin hate first, Berlin second  :P

Im calling it Minor premiership locked up.

Selwood can take the week off to recover and Sloaney can do whatever he wants as long as he is ready for finals. Roughy can join in this week or next im all good.

Just want to beat Moscow and take the Europe crown besides that its all good.

Nige

Quote from: Purple 77 on July 15, 2015, 09:38:51 AM

Dayum, 9 votes?! I'm touched. Didn't even know the thread existed haha.
Chuck his slightly less outstanding 2IC a couple of votes too. I was leading until it was brought to attention and Dave has since been vote brigading against me.  :(

Ricochet

Quote from: Purple 77 on July 14, 2015, 06:21:15 PM
Seoul would be grinning to themselves last week at making Beijing's season that little bit harder. It was their finest performance of the year and one that they'd be disappointed they've only come close too one other time. You'd even think they are a good chance to get back-to-back wins against the bottom placed Tigers, but you know what? They've never beaten them. Crazy really, when you consider the Tigers are looking at a consecutive bottom 4 finish, and the Seoul's debut year was strong. But the post-bye New Delhi is a different team to the pre-bye New Delhi. The Tigers have a new sense of life about them, who in the last 4 weeks have posted their two best scores and their 4th best score for the season... the Tigers would give themselves a chance here. If the Tigers could snatch just one more win, they'd be level with Buenos Aires and Cairo, but with an awfully inferior percentage. BUT, Buenos Aires are facing arguably the 4 toughest teams of the comp... they could get slaughtered in 4 straight weeks, and New Delhi could end up with a better percentage! But the first step is a win, and I reckon this is their best chance. But, will tip the form team in Seoul.
Talk us up, then tip against us. This is becoming a regular thing Purps

Memphistopheles

#CobraStrike

Def: Jasper Pittard, Andrejs Everitt, James Gwilt, Shane Savage
Mid: Josh P. Kennedy (C), Trent Cotchin (VC), Ed Curnow, Dom Tyson
Ruc: Stefan Martin
Fwd: Shaun Higgins, Tom Hawkins, Jeremy Cameron, Sam Reid
Uti: Mark Blicavs, Scott Selwood

Eme: Billy Longer (R), Nick Haynes (D), Adam Cooney (F/M).

Still to consult with My Chumps on the final line-up but I'll post this one here early to have a look at.

JPK rested, Stefan Martin back, Scooter back in form, Tyson, Curnow and Reid have found a bit of form and a really strong emergency line.

No best XV injuries to speak of as well - honestly I don't think we've fielded a stronger team all year. The only thing that could make it better would be Craig Bird's return to the Swans senior team and if he avoided the vest.

If there's ever a time we're going to beat Dublin (since they've become a superpower) then this is it.

Holz

Quote from: Memphistopheles on July 15, 2015, 12:40:40 PM
If there's ever a time we're going to beat Dublin (since they've become a superpower) then this is it.

your at home too, I don't think anyone barring London has beat me at home in the last 2 years.

Alot will depend if Roughy plays or not.

meow meow

Quote from: Levi434 on July 14, 2015, 11:44:47 PM
Quote from: meow meow on July 14, 2015, 08:45:49 PM
Tom Scully > Gary Ablett jnr

Will agree if Scully outscores him this week.  :P

Trade GAJ for Scully if Tom outscores Gary this week?

elephants

Quote from: Jukes on July 14, 2015, 06:29:57 PM
Also, pretty COINCIDENTAL that we had to play away against the other 3 sides gunning for spots 2-4. Very coincidental...

Just as COINCIDENTAL as the Americas SC 'Random Fixture Month' hey ;)