WXV Round 13: Worlds Dividing in Blockbuster Round

Started by Purple 77, July 07, 2015, 01:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

The 2014 similar-opponents stage has begun! This has opened up several blockbuster matches in what shapes as potentially the greatest round of the year.

Also PARTIAL LOCKOUT on Thursday Night, followed by a FULL LOCKOUT on Friday Night

Round 13, AFL Round 15

Home TeamAway TeamHead-to-HeadVenue
Beijing Thunder     v    Seoul Magpies 2  v  1 Beijing Olympic Park   EurAsia, Asia     
Berlin Brewers     v    Christchurch Saints 0  v  0 Berlin Olympic Stadium         
Cairo Sands     v    Toronto Wolves 3  v  1 Borg El Arab Stadium   AAP Alliance   
Cape Town Cobras     v    Buenos Aires Armadillos 2  v  2 Neutral, Football Park   AAP Alliance     
Dublin Destroyers     v    PNL Reindeers 1  v  2 Crooke Park   EurAsia, Europe     
London Royals     v    Rio de Janeiro Jaguars 0  v  0 London Royals Olympic Stadium       
Mexico City Suns     v    Moscow Spetsnaz 3  v  1 Fireball Stadium         
Pacific Islanders     v    New Delhi Tigers 0  v  3 Oakley Arena, Tonga         
Tokyo Samurai     v    New York Revolution 1  v  2 Tokyo Olympic Stadium         

Last week marked Beijing's 4th loss in 5 weeks, but their run home as opened up a little bit leaving the finals door still left ajar. They need to win this match though, and most of their remaining matches in fact, but a loss here would almost make it too hard for the Thunder. Seoul continue to put 120+ scores, but the fact remains that they are capable of putting up a winning score, and that is enough for Beijing to go into the match wary and uncomfortable. Seoul are currently 15th, and have beaten the 17th, 16th, 14th and 13th placed teams. Beijing sit 12th, so the Thunder are within their means you'd think. Nonetheless, I will back the Thunder here, they simply can't afford to lose.

Berlin posted their lowest score since WXV Round 15 of last year, and the 4th lowest for the week; yet luckily managed the crucial win against Buenos Aires. The Brewers can't afford to produce that output again against the scary consistent Saints, whom are coming off their highest score of the year. The Brewers have shown that they can score higher more often than the Saints (had these teams played each other every round this year, Berlin would be leading 8-4), but a far less consistent and that is what will worry them coming into the match. The Saints sit 3rd on the ladder, and Berlin are the highest ranked team out of their remaining opponents, so they will be hoping for a top 4 finish and another top 8 scalp to enhance their credentials. I like to think a down week like last week was inevitable/a rest for my tired Brewers that finally get to come home after 4 straight weeks on the road, and I think we can get back our high scoring selves and knock over the Saints.

Cairo quite possibly committed a Worlds first last week in fielding just two midfielders; epitomizing their struggle this year. Whereas the Wolves have at long last arrested their form slump with a fine 153 against Seoul last week and moving into 8th spot in the process, despite having lost 5 of their past 7 matches (and an aside, stealing the last Champions League spot too!). Even though the Wolves have been far from impressive in this time, I still like'em. They've got a midfield that can match it with anyone if you ask me, and that might be dictated by whether Ryan Griffen kicks on in the back half of the year. As I said earlier, Cairo's main problem is the midfield, which in my eyes is the easiest and relatively cheapest area in the team to fix during the off-season, which should encourage the Sands for a good jump in improvement next year. The Wolves will win this one.

Who would have thought the Cobras needed to produce a great score to get over New Delhi last week? Well, that's what they did and I'm sure they would have been sweating profusely during that encounter. The Cobras have just an awful run home after this match with the 16th placed Armadillos, needing to face 4 out of the current top 5. Given that, they simply must beat the Armadillos, and they may even have to go extra bold and perhaps rest star Cobras Josh Kennedy for the next week, as finals is still a possibility. The Armadillos were right in the match last week against the Brewers, before a couple of players went down and they had to cop poor scores. A lack of any ruckman whatsoever continues to severely disadvantage the Dillos, as I'm sure procuring one in the off-season would be a number one priority. The Cobras will win this, but the Armadillos must go into the match with a confident mindset first and foremost, if they are any chance to grab another win before the year is out.

Phwoah! This match hey?! I've been looking forward to this match ALL DAMN YEAR, so it's of course my MATCH OF THE ROUND! Both teams are clearly the best two teams in the comp at the moment, sitting number 1 and 2 in the ladder and in total points scored. In the last 7 rounds, Dublin have only scored 60 more SuperCoach points than the Reindeers, so I think its fair to say they have met their match.  Between these teams, only 3 losses has occurred this year, and hilariously, 2 of them have been at the hands of London! PNL is also one of the few teams to have a positive record over the Destroyers (2-1), so they know they can do it. I also think the minor premiership could be decided in this match; a Dublin win would all but guarantee the minor premiership is theirs, but if PNL win, Dublin is still ahead on %, but they wouldn't be able to slip up against future opponents Mexico City and Moscow. And just one more interesting stat, is that if PNL had played Dublin every week in the last 4 weeks, they would have won 3 times, so they come into this match as the form team if you ask me. So I'm gonna back them to do it! GET EXCITED!

This one is also very interesting! London sit 13th at 5-7, with only a small glimmer of hope at finals really, and Rio sit 14th 4-8, with a miracle needed to make the finals from here. But... GAJ IS BACK! It would be one helluva story, wouldn't it? Just imagine; GAJ leads Rio to 5 straight victories to scrape into finals. Rio and London are in the mid-tier group of last year, and their run home features a mixed bag of opponent abilities, so a win here is crucial. Just remember, 10 wins will get you into finals, 9 MIGHT, so there still is hope. Both these teams have tendencies to score 150 one week, then 120 the other, so trying to guess who will win is quite difficult. Had these teams played against each other every week this year, Rio leads 7-5, so they really are quite evenly matched. But, the GAJ factor is now in play, so I think I will back the Jaguars.

Well. this is a close second to my match of the round, that is for sure. The stakes are quite high too, as a top 4 spot is on the line really, especially since both these teams have Dublin and PNL to look forward too! Moscow continue to be the picture of scary consistency, having scored 146+ in 6 of the past 7 weeks. But Mexico City have gone bigger than Moscow, shown by 3 scores of 157, 161 and 166 higher than Moscow's best of 153. So really, we have (in comparison) a fluctuating mammoth of a team in Mexico City, against an incredibly tough and consistent team in Moscow. It's just a damn fine interesting match. I know Mexico City will be happy in welcoming back rested star Jimmy Bartel, perhaps he will be the deciding factor? Couple that with the home advantage, and I think Mexico City might edge out the Spetsnaz.

Pacific face a tense run home; sitting at the dreaded 9th position and facing one team currently in the 8, and two others in the same boat as they in this time. For now, they face the 18th New Delhi tigers, who at any other week in the year you would feel confident at beating, but DID YOU SEE LAST WEEK?! The Tigers would have beaten 11 teams last week with their season high 142, but heartbreaking faced one of those 6 times they wouldn't have beaten. The Tigers are finally showing their true selves, as their previously injured starters are only now coming back into action. In fact, the Tigers would have beaten the Islanders last week, this match has really gotten interesting all of a sudden. A loss here for Pacific would have almost devastating consequences, as they really can't afford to slip up against teams below them on the ladder. The Tigers? Well, after last week, they would now have a burning desire to not receive the wooden spoon, and seeing as Cairo don't look like winning for the rest of the year, they are a good chance to do it. But, I think I will back the Islanders, whose desperation should get them over the line.

Another interesting match! Isn't this just the best round ever? Tokyo are yet another team in this awkwardly placed group outside the 8, that have finals within reach but have no guarantee in getting there. Fortunately, they have a better run home than most, as they face their toughest opponent in their run home in New York this week. The Revolution, sitting 7th, 7-5 and a game above 8th, have already played every other team in the eight, so you would think that only a massive choke would prevent them from getting into finals. But how much longer can their depth keep on producing? Will Harley put the coke away and take his place in the XV? Regardless, a win here would make their run home much more relaxing, and a loss would have the opposite effect. Tokyo have the home ground advantage too, so the stakes in this match just make the result very interesting to see. I think I will still back the Revolution though, but I'm giving the Samurai a good chance here!

Holz

this and the Mexico game are the only home and away games i care about.

Birchall Rance Mcdonald Murphy
Boak Mundy (VC) Selwood Thompson
Goldy (C)
Buddy Gunston Martin Walters
Dal Santo Bruce

Boston, Schoenemakers

ossie85

I know there is a 1 v 2... but I think Mexico City and Moscow is the match of the round, as it will define the top 4.

Great work as per usual Purps!

And good to note we have the first game of the Asian Premiership this week between Beijing and Seoul

Jukes

This match will certainly decide top 4 (unless Christchurch crash and burn), as I don't think we'll be able to win more games than MC after this. I reckon we'll lose, but as we showed two years ago when we broke their streak we can do it! As long as we score 145+ I'll be happy, win or lose.

At least I have some favourable match-ups to pick from: Heppell vs Melbourne, Arma vs GWS, Ward vs Saints, Gray vs Pies, idk who to CC :3

D: Vlastuin, Hombsch, Docherty, Dunn
M: Ward, Heppell (cc), Armitage (cc), Sheed
R: Naitanui
F: Gray, Hogan, Daniher, Vickery
U: Clancee Pearce, Bastinac
Emg: Steven May, Darcy Moore, Jack Sinclair

ossie85

Quote from: Jukes on July 07, 2015, 01:31:09 PM
Heppell vs Melbourne

Well, Heppell v Saints last week ended in a 110 point defeat.... I wonder if Essendon will select more than 1 player this week

Holz

also thursdya nights are bull.

PNL loaded with port players.

why couldn't i get a north Melbourne or stkilda thursday game. 

roo boys!

Quote from: Holz on July 07, 2015, 01:41:25 PM

I'm happy enough to have Pendles playing for a VC option however I agree, a North Melbourne thursday night game would be phenomenal for Worlds  8)

Holz

Quote from: roo boys! on July 07, 2015, 01:46:00 PM
Quote from: Holz on July 07, 2015, 01:41:25 PM

I'm happy enough to have Pendles playing for a VC option however I agree, a North Melbourne thursday night game would be phenomenal for Worlds  8)
lucky

I don't think one loophole has helped me this year (apart from winning for Euroasia)

bruce is killing me with his up and down scores. was great with 107 last week.

Tmac Bruce Birchall are very hard to pick. even rance has some shockers.

thank you murphy for always scoring.

Ricochet

Quote from: Purple 77 on July 07, 2015, 01:10:19 PM
Pacific face a tense run home; sitting at the dreaded 9th position and facing one team currently in the 8, and two others in the same boat as they in this time. For now, they face the 18th New Delhi tigers, who at any other week in the year you would feel confident at beating, but DID YOU SEE LAST WEEK?! The Tigers would have beaten 11 teams last week with their season high 142, but heartbreaking faced one of those 6 times they wouldn't have beaten. The Tigers are finally showing their true selves, as their previously injured starters are only now coming back into action. In fact, the Tigers would have beaten the Islanders last week, this match has really gotten interesting all of a sudden. A loss here for Pacific would have almost devastating consequences, as they really can't afford to slip up against teams below them on the ladder. The Tigers? Well, after last week, they would now have a burning desire to not receive the wooden spoon, and seeing as Cairo don't look like winning for the rest of the year, they are a good chance to do it. But, I think I will back the Islanders, whose desperation should get them over the line.
Dunno what odds Sportsbet have given us this week, but I'd be all over it

roo boys!

Happy to take one or two off your hands if they're causing you that much stress

I'm more concerned with which F4 is going to score 40 and which will score 100 each week (Hendo, Robbo and Hickey main culprits), and with it looking more and more likely Leigh Adams career is over I'll need one of these blokes to step up

Jroo

Massive game against Moscow

Luckily we have Rocky and Bartel back this week. We're nearly at full strength, just missing Michael Johnson.

meow meow

Hopefully I can get over my bias and pick Jeffy over Stringer just to torment Purps whenever Garlett gets a touch.

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Holz on July 07, 2015, 01:16:53 PM
this and the Mexico game are the only home and away games i care about.

Oh the arrogance lol

Massive round indeed! Legit hype!

Holz

im torn I dislike Christchurch and Mexico and want neither to make the 4 but one probably will.

lets go Dublin Moscow PNL and dare i say it Berlin.

meow meow

Quote from: Holz on July 07, 2015, 02:19:41 PM
im torn I dislike Christchurch and Mexico and want neither to make the 4 but one probably will.

lets go Dublin Moscow PNL and dare i say it Berlin.

#scared