WXV Round 12: Saints to stand up to Rampaging Revolution?

Started by Purple 77, June 29, 2015, 04:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

FINALLY! The bye rounds are over  :D

But, there is a PARTIAL LOCKOUT on Thursday night, then a FULL LOCKOUT on Friday night.

Round 12, AFL Round 14

Home TeamAway TeamHead-to-HeadVenue
Buenos Aires Armadillos     v    Berlin Brewers  3  v  0 Estadio de River        
Cairo Sands     v    Mexico City Suns  0  v  3 Borg El Arab Stadium   AAP Alliance   
Dublin Destroyers     v    Rio de Janeiro Jaguars  0  v  0 Crooke Park          
Moscow Spetsnaz     v    Tokyo Samurai  3  v  0 Luzhniki Stadium   EurAsia       
New Delhi Tigers     v    Cape Town Cobras  1  v  2 Nepal          
New York Revolution     v    Christchurch Saints  0  v  0 MetLife Stadium, New Jersey   AAP Alliance   
Pacific Islanders     v    London Royals  1  v  2 BSP Stadium, Suva, Fiji        
PNL Reindeers     v    Beijing Thunder  2  v  1 Stade de Gerland   EurAsia     
Toronto Wolves     v    Seoul Magpies  2  v  1 Rogers Centre          

Buenos Aires have looked better in their last 3 games (posting their two highest scores of the year), and have now looked to avoid the wooden spoon. The young Armadillos are just starting to gel together and, by securing two wins this year against New Delhi and Cairo, have been allowed to do so without the harsh stinging spotlight of the world. The Brewers have now just come out of a season defining period in the last 5 weeks, which saw them win 4 games against premiership contender Mexico City, dangerous mid-tier teams Beijing and Tokyo and bottom team New Delhi. The Brewers fancy themselves against the Armadillos and are really already looking towards their battle against Christchurch in two weeks time. Still, the Armadillos best has beaten the Brewers worst, so Buenos Aires should still feel like they are a chance. But the Brewers can't allow a loss here, and they won't (I hope).

To say the season, and especially last round, has been tough for Cairo would be an understatement. They are on a losing streak (10) that I suspect might be a WXVs record, have lost the all-infamously-important Mumford for the rest of the year which, happened during the loss against the previously winless New Delhi, two weeks after going down to fellow cellar dweller Buenos Aires... and now they face Mexico City. The Suns players look to be on the wrong end of a loss they didn't participate in last week, with their coach JROO8 taking the AAP Alliance to a last-gasp loss against EurAsia. The Suns in the last 5 weeks have averaged 154 points a game! That's the sign of a team ready to go deep into finals, so they won't allow a loss here. Steele Sidebottom to get a rest JROO8 after his Alliance game?

Now, I'm genuinely interested in this game. "What do you mean Purple? This is 1st v 14th?" - I hear you say? Well my friends, I'm interested in this match because of one important reason; the impending return of GAJ! Rio I think have been underachievers this year and are a much better team than their current 14th placing suggests. In the last 5 weeks, they have registered 3 scores of 146+, which in itself might push Dublin on an off day. But add a certain 3-time Jim Stynes medallist into the mix than that score gets dangerously high, high enough for even the coach fresh off a thrilling victory coaching EurAsia to be concerned about. Dublin, well, I've done them to death, but to recap have been the premiership favourite ALL year, and rightfully so. What is interesting though, is that Dublin have gotten the highest score of the round in the past 4 rounds... the competition is catching up, and maybe a premiership isn't so guaranteed? But anyway, I'll be barracking for Rio, but Dublin should win this.

I have a feeling that if I said to you that Moscow were in the top 4, you'd be surprised. Yes you may keep hearing that they keep on getting the high scores, but due to their ability to keep out of the spotlight (perhaps due to noise that Mexico City, Dublin and PNL make), they just keep going under the radar. Seven times they have got 145+ this year. That's right, seven. But if Moscow aren't famous for the strength of their team, then they're famous for declaring they get it rough against the mid-tier and bottom teams. So what do we have here? Tokyo, sitting 6-5 and 8th on the ladder. They've just cracked the 140 barrier 3 times. but just seem to be able to do enough most of the time. I see Moscow as the sort of team that could go down to Samurai, but nonetheless I think I will back them to get it done and stake their claims for a qualifying final.

It might have been two weeks ago, but the guys at New Delhi are only now just starting crawl out of the piles of streamers and empty beer cans and reaching for panadol tablets. New Delhi won their first match of the year last week; a result they have been building towards for some time now and it really was something that made everyone (except for Cairo) smile. Heck, it will probably make the highlight reel of the season! But, the Tigers now have to gather themselves in order to take on the Cobras whose season hasn't entirely gone to plan. But that's not to say the Cobras aren't in good shape; just look at how well the Durban Pirates are doing! Cape Town sit precariously on 13th on the ladder with a 5-6 record. Yes they play New Delhi then Buenos Aires, but it's their last month of the season which has them worried (4 teams currently in the top 5). The Cobras simply must not lose this match in order to keep their finals hopes alive, and would be wary of a pumped up New Delhi. For the record, New Delhi's best would have beaten the Cobras twice this season, so there is a chance. But Cobras for me.

It's 6th v 3rd and it is my MATCH OF THE ROUND! The Revolution just keep finding a way to win despite the unavailability of key personnel, which is a testament to the quality of depth over at New York. The Revolution have won their past 3 games now and have averaged 148 points per game in that time and ALL those victories came against danger teams (Toronto, London, Cape Town). Christchurch have been the picture of consistency this year, and although they haven't scored insanely high often (just once have they cracked 150), their consistency (8 scores of 140+) as seen them win more games than losses. The Saints three losses this year have hence unsurprisingly come against Mexico City, PNL and Dublin so there still remains questions of the threat they pose come finals. So what a perfect opportunity to answer those questions? Likewise for New York, whose reputation can only get greater if they win this game, and they have my backing too.

This is also a magnificent match-up, with both teams in the 9-12th bracket on the ladder. Pacific have been in a patch of bad form at the moment, having only won 1 of its last 5 games. It has made for an interesting finish for the Islanders, with the rest of its opponents they either enter in as favourites or on almost level pegging terms with. Given their position (12th), a loss here would hurt a lot but wouldn't knock them out of the race either. Its opponent; fellow 5-6 team London, faces a similar but perhaps slightly tougher run home so a loss would have similar ramifications. London this year actually haven't won back-to-back matches so naturally, coming off a win against Buenos Aires, this could be a mental hurdle they need to overcome this weekend. Funnily enough, you'd think a team that has beaten both PNL and Dublin would be in the top 8, but whatever lol. The result of this game for both teams is huge, so I can't wait to see who comes out on top. But, I for arguments sake, I think I will back the Islanders, with HGA perhaps playing an important hand in the result. 

I reckon PNL is the form team of the World at the moment; that's right, going better than Dublin IMO! With 5 scores over 150, and 2 over 160 (with an average of 154 in the past 5 weeks), the Reindeers are out for blood, and its terrifying. Just last week they taught the Islanders a lesson on the way to 163 points and stretching its winning streak to 6. Beijing are yet another team in that precariously placed crew of teams sitting just outside the 8, but currently have a one game advantage on those teams. Just as well they do, as had Beijing played PNL every week this year, they'd be 2-9 (wins in Rounds 2 & 3). The Thunder are not without hope however, as surely this form PNL have conjured up is unsustainable? And whose to say Beijing can't crack 150 themselves? Nonetheless, the Reindeers have my backing for this one.

It seems Toronto may have gotten a bit ahead of themselves when it was Round 7 and they were second on the ladder, as they have lost every game since and have failed to crack 140 in that time. Toronto can however at least say that they lost to quality teams (Mexico City, Pacific, New York and Dublin) in that time and they have a more favourable draw in the run home, but this bad stint of form has potentially put their finals credentials out of reach... but it's still possible. Step 1 is a win against Seoul, who should be known as a team they could go big on any day it chooses. Seoul has only cracked 130+ 3 times this year but at the very least hasn't seen a score below 120 either. Seoul's best score this year would have beaten Toronto in every week bar 1 this year, so the Wolves can't take the Magpies for granted. I still think the Wolves have got it in them, so I will back them again, tentatively.

Levi434

Rio de Janeiro Jaguars

D:
M: Gary Ablett (C)
R:
F:
I:

E:

ossie85

Biggest WXV Losing Streaks

17 - Wellington (R6 2013 to R5 2014)
That's right - they went a year without a win, before snapping its losing streak against Cairo. Managed a measly average of only 113.5.

14 - Beijing (R17 2012 to Round 12 2013)
A losing streak that had 3 separate coaches and strangely enough included a final! Bomberboy traded away the team's future after the elimination final loss, and was then taken over by JROO8 for a streak of 6 straight losses to begin the season, before Master Q/Toga took over, finally getting a win in Round 13. Averaged 108 over this time.

14 - New Delhi (R14 2014 to R10 2015)
Looked like it would never end until last week after a stunning victory over Cairo, with elephants/Ricochet doing there best in trying times. Averaged 105.4 during this time.

12 - Pacific (R7 2014 to R1 2015)
Perhaps the most controversial of the losing streaks, with Pacific co-coach tbagrocks sacked sensationally. Jayman has steadied the ship with the side more competitive than its ever been. Average of 120.1 during this time.

10* - Cairo (R2 2015 - )
Biggest surprise of the season, cracked out a 148 in Round 1 and things looked great, but haven't been able to buy luck since. Coaches Nige/MajorLazer don't know what to do, and are in danger of not winning another game this season. Averaged 122.2 over this period so far, and the highest current streak.

10 - Dublin (R10 2012 to R2 2013)
Dublin had a shocking debut year that ultimately won it the spoon, hard to believe now, but Holz has turned the team around very strongly. Averaged 123.8 during this time.

9 - Beijing (Round 5 2014 to Round 13 2014)
Miserable period for Beijing continued into 2014, averaging only 117 in this stretch, but coaches Master Q/Toga stood true.

9 - Pacific (Round 3 2013 to Round 11 2013)
Averaging just 109 during this time, these were dark, dark days for Pacific coaching duo Jayman/tbagrocks

9 - PNL (Round 1 2012 to Round 9 2012)
COULD NOT BUY A WIN! Despite a respectful average of 126, the Reindeers bad luck was born in the inaugural season of Worlds, having 4 losses of 10 points or less.

Purple 77

Great stats oz!

6 games to go this season for Cairo, wonder if the stress of perhaps surpassing the undesired record will haunt them over the summer  :-X

I don't think Berlin ever got more than 5 straight losses iirc.

Memphistopheles

Dublin will have to do it without Buddy.

And, we'll have to do it without our captain Stefan Martin :(.

Thank god he should only miss the New Delhi and Buenos Aires matches is all I can say.

Holz

Quote from: Memphistopheles on June 29, 2015, 05:38:33 PM
Dublin will have to do it without Buddy.

And, we'll have to do it without our captain Stefan Martin :(.

Thank god he should only miss the New Delhi and Buenos Aires matches is all I can say.

Buddy and Sloane.

however they will be replaced by Walters and Nick Dal Santo. So shouldn't be too big a hit.

RaisyDaisy

Yay we made it to the subject line and match of the round for the first time lol

Jukes

D: Dunn, Hombsch, Steven May, Vlastuin
M: Heppell (cc), Ward, Armitage, Sheed
R: Naitanui
F: Gray (cc), Hogan, Daniher, Monfries
U: Clancee Pearce, Ballantyne

Emg: Darcy Moore, Colquhoun, Jenkins

Purple 77

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on June 29, 2015, 06:35:20 PM
Yay we made it to the subject line and match of the round for the first time lol

Lol I actually made a concentrated effort to include you in the topic heading :P

Just Seoul and Buenos Aires to go  :-X

Holz

Backs:  A.Rance, G.Birchall, R.Murphy, T.Mcdonald, L.Hansen
Mids: N. Dal Santo, J.Watson, T.Boak (VC) D.Mundy
Ruck: T.Goldstein (C)
Fwds: D.Martin, J.Roughead, J.Gunston, M.Walters
Interchange: S.Thompson, J.Selwood
A.Boston, J.Bruce, N.Van Berlo

meow meow

Shaun McKernan to make his debut for Christchurch this week, against the team that gave him away in exchange for pick 92.

Jack Steele also getting a starting XV position for the first time.

Toby McLean in the mix to get a starting gig after impressing more and more each outing so far.

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: meow meow on June 29, 2015, 11:51:08 PM
Shaun McKernan to make his debut for Christchurch this week, against the team that gave him away in exchange for pick 92.

To be fair he was delisted and didn't look like getting picked up. Everyone's getting excited after his 98 on the weekend, but he went at a ridiculously high 44.4% HOTA, and still couldn't even ton up.

kilbluff1985

Seoul could have D Swallow and McGlynn back this week

Ricochet

Quote from: ossie85 on June 29, 2015, 05:04:49 PM

Biggest WXV Losing Streaks

17 - Wellington (R6 2013 to R5 2014)
That's right - they went a year without a win, before snapping its losing streak against Cairo. Managed a measly average of only 113.5.

14 - Beijing (R17 2012 to Round 12 2013)
A losing streak that had 3 separate coaches and strangely enough included a final! Bomberboy traded away the team's future after the elimination final loss, and was then taken over by JROO8 for a streak of 6 straight losses to begin the season, before Master Q/Toga took over, finally getting a win in Round 13. Averaged 108 over this time.

14 - New Delhi (R14 2014 to R10 2015)
Looked like it would never end until last week after a stunning victory over Cairo, with elephants/Ricochet doing there best in trying times. Averaged 105.4 during this time.

12 - Pacific (R7 2014 to R1 2015)
Perhaps the most controversial of the losing streaks, with Pacific co-coach tbagrocks sacked sensationally. Jayman has steadied the ship with the side more competitive than its ever been. Average of 120.1 during this time.

10* - Cairo (R2 2015 - )
Biggest surprise of the season, cracked out a 148 in Round 1 and things looked great, but haven't been able to buy luck since. Coaches Nige/MajorLazer don't know what to do, and are in danger of not winning another game this season. Averaged 122.2 over this period so far, and the highest current streak.

10 - Dublin (R10 2012 to R2 2013)
Dublin had a shocking debut year that ultimately won it the spoon, hard to believe now, but Holz has turned the team around very strongly. Averaged 123.8 during this time.

9 - Beijing (Round 5 2014 to Round 13 2014)
Miserable period for Beijing continued into 2014, averaging only 117 in this stretch, but coaches Master Q/Toga stood true.

9 - Pacific (Round 3 2013 to Round 11 2013)
Averaging just 109 during this time, these were dark, dark days for Pacific coaching duo Jayman/tbagrocks

9 - PNL (Round 1 2012 to Round 9 2012)
COULD NOT BUY A WIN! Despite a respectful average of 126, the Reindeers bad luck was born in the inaugural season of Worlds, having 4 losses of 10 points or less.
#notfirst

ossie85

Biggest WXV Winning Streaks

13 - Dublin (R15 2014 to R7 2015)
This was something special, sensationally averaging 167.2, including the 2014 premiership, and would likely still be going if not for running into its bogey team London. Truly the team to beat in 2015.

13 - Mexico City (Semi Final 2012 to R10 2013)
13 the unlucky number when it comes to winning streaks! This streak also included a premiership, before they were taken down by a special effort from Moscow. Averaged 157

10 - Cape Town (R10 2012 to Preliminary Final 2012)
A 10-match wining streak that got them all the way to the Grand Final, averaging 148 while they were doing it. Upset Mexico City in the Qualifying Final, before falling to them in the Grand Final. We often forget the first GF was between Mexico City and Cape Town, and they weren't all that far off being premiers.

10 - Sao Paulo (R1 2012 to R10 2012)
A streak that saw them strong premiership favourites, averaging 155, it wasn't to be. They were very impressive and set the early bar for this competition, and the team is missed. Streak was broken by Moscow in Round 11.

9 - Buenos Aires (R1 2014 to R9 2014)
Undefeated after 9 rounds, Buenos Aires were premiership favourites! Injuries later derailed its season, and they haven't been the same since. The average? 151.7

9 - Cairo (R10 2013 to Elimination Final 2013)
Cairo were struggling at 4-5, but this winning streak saw them average 144.9, got them into the finals, won a final, before eventually going down to eventual premier Sao Paulo in the semi finals. Cairo's highlight of its history.

9 - Mexico City (R9 2012 to R17 2012)
Carried huge momentum going into the finals, averaging 143, but they weren't premiership favourites. Lost its first final, before recovering to be the inaugural premier.

9 - Moscow (R5 2013 to R13 2013)
Moscow's run to a top 4 finish was best highlighted by this sequence, which included victories over teams like Mexico City, Toronto and Berlin, and averaged 142.4

8 - Buenos Aires (R6 2013 to R13 2013)
Nails team averaged a healthy 147.1 during this time, but this streak did include a 112-96 victory of New Delhi!

8 - Cape Town (R2 2013 to R9 2013)
After making the GF the year before, the Cobras started off solidly enough, averaging 140.5 over its 8 winning streak, before the wheels fell off for the rest of the season.

8 - Dublin (R13 2013 to R3 2014)
A winning streak that saw them fall agonisingly short of making the finals in 2013 (after finishing with the spoon the year before), and continued into the next season, before they were upset sensationally by Tokyo. Averaged 152.8

8 - Mexico City (R12 2013 to Preliminary Final 2013)
The raging favourites for the 2013 flag, averaging 147 in this streak, which already included 2 victories over Sao Paulo. However the Pumas defeated them in the Grand Final to seek revenge for 2012. Noting Mexico City had only lost 2 of its past 32 matches at this point.