Main Menu

Aaron Black

Started by kilbluff1985, June 16, 2015, 07:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pkbaldy

There is 1 main difference with what you guys are talking about.
We traded a lot our draft picks through the Ross Lyon years to get older players to help us push for the flag, so we never had that young blood to start with.

Ricochet

Quote from: Pkbaldy on June 25, 2015, 02:16:09 PM
There is 1 main difference with what you guys are talking about.
We traded a lot our draft picks through the Ross Lyon years to get older players to help us push for the flag, so we never had that young blood to start with.
Early ones weren't too bad
Schneider, Dempster and Ray... but then Lovett for pick 16 happened.

j959

Quote from: Ricochet on June 25, 2015, 02:02:37 PM
Quote from: j959 on June 25, 2015, 01:53:09 PM
Quote from: valkorum on June 17, 2015, 02:30:47 PM
If we win I think Pav will retire

If we lose I think Pav will go round 1 more time.
wouldn't hurt to have Black ready to go ... the more I consider your list, the more the depth looks pretty thin on all lines except the mids ...

valk, rico et al - do you fear that Ross is creating another STK situation where you might collapse with lack of 'regeneration'??
doesn't seem as bad as STK in that he's got kids (Crozier, Sheridan, Taberner, Hannath) playing but they're definitely on the fringes and it seems that solid depth is a bit thin otherwise ...

Not at all mate. Its a common view that Ross doesn't blood youth, but thats simply wrong. We've had many 2nd and 3rd year players come through the side over the last few years, and when the 1st year players are developed and ready they will too. Like you said, Crozier/Sheridan/Taberner/Pearce are all getting exposure at times and will eventually find permanent spots. But you can't give kids games for the sake of getting games into them when you're sitting up the top. They have to be ready and force their way in. These boys are starting to do that (look at Neale).

Our depth is actually very strong. It's just that we have 3 boys out all from the same possie (Johnson, Dawson, Silvagni), so it may seem like we don't bat deep. But boys like de Boer, Mzungu, Clarke, Griffin are all on the fringe with those kids you listed. That's depth
yeah, that's fair enough re injuries in the same position - also I admit you have good mid depth but also wouldn't you admit a little that once Pav retires your key fwds stocks really drop away in terms of quality??

also, missed it last night and just had a look at Ross' post-match conference - such a good coach - Captain Hindsight now says the Harvey 'knifing' has paid off in spades ... "it's not show friends, it's show business"  ...  ;)

Ricochet

Quote from: j959 on June 26, 2015, 04:08:53 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on June 25, 2015, 02:02:37 PM
Quote from: j959 on June 25, 2015, 01:53:09 PM
Quote from: valkorum on June 17, 2015, 02:30:47 PM
If we win I think Pav will retire

If we lose I think Pav will go round 1 more time.
wouldn't hurt to have Black ready to go ... the more I consider your list, the more the depth looks pretty thin on all lines except the mids ...

valk, rico et al - do you fear that Ross is creating another STK situation where you might collapse with lack of 'regeneration'??
doesn't seem as bad as STK in that he's got kids (Crozier, Sheridan, Taberner, Hannath) playing but they're definitely on the fringes and it seems that solid depth is a bit thin otherwise ...

Not at all mate. Its a common view that Ross doesn't blood youth, but thats simply wrong. We've had many 2nd and 3rd year players come through the side over the last few years, and when the 1st year players are developed and ready they will too. Like you said, Crozier/Sheridan/Taberner/Pearce are all getting exposure at times and will eventually find permanent spots. But you can't give kids games for the sake of getting games into them when you're sitting up the top. They have to be ready and force their way in. These boys are starting to do that (look at Neale).

Our depth is actually very strong. It's just that we have 3 boys out all from the same possie (Johnson, Dawson, Silvagni), so it may seem like we don't bat deep. But boys like de Boer, Mzungu, Clarke, Griffin are all on the fringe with those kids you listed. That's depth
yeah, that's fair enough re injuries in the same position - also I admit you have good mid depth but also wouldn't you admit a little that once Pav retires your key fwds stocks really drop away in terms of quality??

also, missed it last night and just had a look at Ross' post-match conference - such a good coach - Captain Hindsight now says the Harvey 'knifing' has paid off in spades ... "it's not show friends, it's show business"  ...  ;)
Oh yeh bigtime, that's why we are going after boys like Black/Dixon and co. In saying that our key possie kids are definitely starting to get there

North Melbournes Finest

Did somebody call Black a gun? He was my favourite player when he was firing for North a couple years ago. But last year he was absolutely dreadful, looked like he had nothing good about him, didn't kick goals, didn't work hard. He's regressed severely.

valkorum

Key forward stocks: Taberner, Hannath, Apeness

All of these young kids show something but obviously they arent of the quality of Pav.  Adding someone like Black to the list is definitely a good option

Could Black be a little dis-illusioned due to being looked over by the emergence of Ben Brown?