WXV Round 11: A Wooden Affair: Cairo v New Delhi

Started by Purple 77, June 09, 2015, 05:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

It's finally here... the round I've been dreading to administrate.

Thought I might bring this back, for those of you that may remember... thought it was pretty special :P

Quote from: ossie85 on May 04, 2014, 12:45:22 PM
Hi all!

Rolling lock out this week which means....

YOU CAN'T EDIT POSTS.

ANY EDITED POSTS - NO MATTER IF BEFORE, DURING OR AFTER LOCK OUT - WILL NOT BE COUNTED. EVEN IF ONLY 10 SECONDS AFTER POST.

JUST POST AGAIN

YOU CAN'T EDIT POSTS.

Round 11, AFL Round 11 + AFL Round 12 scores from Adelaide, Richmond, Western Bulldogs, Brisbane, Carlton and Hawthorn

Home TeamAway TeamHead-to-HeadVenue
Beijing Thunder     v    Berlin Brewers  1  v  2 Beijing Olympic Park   EurAsia     
Buenos Aires Armadillos     v    London Royals  2  v  1 Estadio de River        
Christchurch Saints     v    Mexico City Suns  0  v  0 AMI Stadium   AAP Alliance     
Moscow Spetsnaz     v    Seoul Magpies  3  v  0 Luzhniki Stadium   EurAsia       
New Delhi Tigers     v    Cairo Sands  0  v  3 Nepal          
New York Revolution     v    Cape Town Cobras  2  v  1 MetLife Stadium, New Jersey   AAP Alliance   
Pacific Islanders     v    PNL Reindeers  0  v  3 Oakley Arena, Tonga        
Tokyo Samurai     v    Rio de Janeiro Jaguars  0  v  0 Tokyo Olympic Stadium        
Toronto Wolves     v    Dublin Destroyers  1  v  2 Rogers Centre          

Beijing are brimming coming off their vital win against Cape Town last week, for they now sit 6-4 and 7th on the ladder. This is a nice foundation for a finals push, because if they are lucky, they might only need 3 more wins to make it... history says 10 wins gets you there, and 9 might. But it is Berlin that is in form at the moment; coming off an equally crucial win against the Suns last week and posting their second highest score of the season (157). Berlin haven't dipped below 142 since Round 5 now, and if Berlin and Beijing played every match against each other this year, Berlin sits 7-3. However, I am quite wary of what Beijing can do, and how my charges like to lose while scoring highly, so I'm far from confident in this match. Berlin really needs to win this match, as they face many like-teams on the horizon that can go either way. But, based on current form, I'm going to back my boys in. Here's hoping Brad Crouch makes his first appearance for the year this week.

I tell ya what, this is another sort of match that is perfect for London to lose. Since triumphing over the Destroyers, London preceded to lose to the somewhat lowly Seoul and the not-so-lowly New York. London sit at the awkward 4-6 bracket, so they simply cannot afford to lose here. Buenos Aires on the other hand, suffered from a victory hangover last week; getting a belting from Rio de Janeiro and not one player getting a century. But, the might consider themselves a sneaky chance... you never know. Buenos' best score this season would have beaten London 4 times, but its next best wouldn't even come close, so to have any chance they need players to step up, and a captain to perform. Will back the Royals to get it done.

A consistent attitude of good, solid performances has gotten Christchurch far this season; 8-2 and second on the ladder. If you were to give them any criticisms, it would be that they have only exceeded 145 once this season. But I'll be quick to add that they have posted 7 scores from 140-145 this year, so it's no wonder they have racked up 8 wins. Mexico City are coming off a loss at the hands of Berlin, and would be looking at its midfield brigade to respond after capitulating last week. To beat this fine team they call Mexico City however, step 1 is to score 150+. Can Christchurch do that when needed though? I don't think they can, so that's my challenge for them for the rest of the year -> score highly and prove you're the second best team in the comp. I'll back the Suns to get it done.

Moscow will be salvaging themselves from a pool of sweat last week; only beating the lowly New Delhi by 1 (WXV) point. That would have been bad, to say the least. But, they got the job done and that is all that matters, although their 133 seemed to come from nowhere after scoring 602 points in the prior 4 weeks to that match. They won't like it to get that close again this time around, up against another bottom 4 team in Seoul whom do have the firepower to beat Moscow, as shown only 2 weeks ago when they scored 146. I am genuinely surprised the Seoul midfield brigade hasn't produced consistently this year, and I rate them a better team than what they're producing, so you never know. But you can take an educated guess, and I reckon Moscow will get it done.

Cairo have looked so much better in the last two weeks, and I was genuinely impressed at the fight they showed against WXV giants Dublin last week. It seems that the 3-week stretch of hell from rounds 6-8 where Cairo couldn't surpass 120 is just an unpleasant memory now, and I do think we will see an improved Sands outfit for the rest of the year. But oh my, the chest hurts for New Delhi. The Tigers posted their highest score of the year on the back of inspired performances, but disappointingly also pathetic contributions from a handful of players. This match poses a genuine chance for New Delhi to get their first win of the season, and seeing as this is potentially the wooden spoon deciding match for the season, there is no opposition in my declaring that this is my MATCH OF THE ROUND!

New York are possibly the most impressive team at the moment. Sitting 6th on the ladder at 6-4, and with considerable firepower on the sidelines they have produced two crucial wins in the last two weeks against Toronto and London and have scored 302 points in the process. With a loss against Rio its only major blemish for the season and with most of the best teams behind them I think we can say only a disaster is going to prevent the Revolution from making finals. Cape Town had their undefeated run of 4 matches thwarted by Beijing last week, but still sit at a workable 11th and a 5-5 record. However, Rounds 14-17 for the Cobras are simply hell, so there is no alternative but to win this week if they are to cling to any finals hopes. This is a pretty good match really. But, I'm going to back the form team at home in New York.

Pacific responded to my challenge last week and walked out victors against an important opponent in Toronto, but it didn't stop a worrying trend of sub 140 scores which has now stretched out to 5 weeks in a row. They need to find that territory again if they are to have any chance against this outfit, whom I feel haven't got as much spotlight as their form warrants... well that stops now! Straight off the bat for those of you who may not know, PNL have averaged 150 points since Round 4. 150. I'll just let that sink in for a moment. Its infamous mental demons are behind them now and they are well and truly storming home for a top 4 finish this season. There is only a couple of teams I'll back to get the job done against PNL, and Pacific isn't one of them yet, so I will back the blood thirsty Reindeers.

Tokyo got done last week against the impressive above-mentioned Reindeers, but it was really the manner at which it occurred that is concerning; a score of 119 (the third time Tokyo have scored that score this year). The Samurai haven't hit the 140 barrier since Round 6 and it is point they would love to hit again this week against this unpredictable Jaguars outfit. To demonstrate what I mean, in the last 6 weeks, Rio have scored 3 scores below 132 and 3 scores above 145. Fortunately, the latter has occurred more recently and they enter this match as the form team. Rio are still a chance, however remote, to make the finals, and if they make it past this encounter against Tokyo with a win, then they will come out of the bye likely with the Worlds greatest player leading them, and who knows from there? I'll back the Jaguars on this one, but not with a lot of confidence.

Toronto's fall from grace has been hard to stomach for all Wolves fans out there; losing 4 out of its past 5 matches with only Buenos Aires' scalp to show from it. The Wolves haven't hit the 140 barrier since Round 6 but it is their round 2 effort of 152 that would be the standard required to challenge the all-powerful Dublin team. I think I've said all I can about Dublin... I might even reiterate that they have averaged 162 points per game. On the bright-side, they haven't exceeded this average for three weeks now, so I suppose you could say they're in a spot of... really good form still  :-\. The whole world is behind you Toronto, but Dublin should win this.

Oh, and I almost forgot:

Quote from: ossie85 on May 04, 2014, 12:45:22 PM
YOU CAN'T EDIT POSTS.

Nige

Made the title and match of the round, yisss!

I knew there was a reason I liked you, Purps.  :P

Purple 77

Quote from: Nige on June 09, 2015, 05:35:48 PM
Made the title and match of the round, yisss!

I knew there was a reason I liked you, Purps.  :P

Lol, Cairo were overdue for both  :P

Toga

Tough game against Berlin! The Brewers are obviously a much higher-scoring team when on form but we have been able to steal a few wins with consistent 130-140ish scores this year. If we can get our fwd line sorted out and have a solid contribution across the board you never know. Wouldn't tip against Berlin though!

roo boys!

Toronto's record with Richard Douglas in the side: 4-1
Toronton's record without Ricahrd Douglas: 1-4

Should be returning in the second half of this week. Look out Dublin

Jukes

D: Dunn, Docherty, Seedsman, Hombsch
M: Ward (c), Heppell, Armitage, Bastinac
R: Naitanui
F: Gray (vc), Hogan, Daniher, Monfries
U: Clancee Pearce, Vlastuin

Emg: Ballantyne, Sheed, Jack Sinclair

Purple 77

Quote from: roo boys! on June 09, 2015, 06:57:01 PM

I love this

Holz

Quote from: Purple 77 on June 09, 2015, 08:58:21 PM

I love this

Dublin's record with Sloane 6-0
Dublin's record without Sloane 3-1

He is returning second half of the week aswell.

maybe rest douglas than you stat will look even cooler with 4-1 and 1-5

roo boys!

Quote from: Holz on June 09, 2015, 09:43:40 PM

I love this

I smell fear...telling me to rest "the Barometer" as the boys call him, clearly intimidated by Toronto cracking the 130 barrier last week  8)

Nige

Quote from: roo boys! on June 09, 2015, 09:51:03 PM

I love this

I smell fear...telling me to rest "the Barometer" as the boys call him, clearly intimidated by Toronto cracking the 130 barrier last week  8)
You're welcome. :P

Although, he has missed 5 games and that wouldn't have helped us too much.

And Ben Brown has been awesome so far too! 8)

Memphistopheles

So can we edit posts this week or what?

Sorry Purps, I couldn't help myself

Holz

I love this

Do whatever you want. Ill chalk it up as a win and think about who is playing for Euroasia. Got to see if any non Dublin players are worthy of getting a gig.

roo boys!

Quote from: Nige on June 10, 2015, 04:48:48 PM

I love this

You're welcome. :P

Although, he has missed 5 games and that wouldn't have helped us too much.

And Ben Brown has been awesome so far too! 8)
Yeah I think thats been a good trade so far that one, seems to have filled a hole for both of us :)

Purple 77

Quote from: Memphistopheles on June 10, 2015, 04:53:18 PM
So can we edit posts this week or what?

Also, bringing back a golden response from oz last year

Quote from: ossie85 on May 04, 2014, 12:58:14 PM
I'm glad you asked hb Memph, it turns out you can't edit posts

Ricochet