Main Menu

WXV Expansion

Started by ossie85, June 05, 2015, 11:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Hey guys, just an idea (yes, another one of those) I've been playing with, and I'm sure will be shot down....

WXV Expansion - Teams 19 and 20

Squad sizes reduced from 45 (18 teams of 45 = 810 players currently) to 40 (20 teams of 40 = 800 players)

WXV Format changed from:
4D, 4M, 4F, 1R, 2I
to...
3D, 5M, 3F, 1R, 3I

(which reflects the continued shift to midfielders)

Plus, if you can't field a standard team, you can bring in players who are playing VFL/SANFL/WAFL/NEAFL. Where a player will score 30 points if they play in that comp, 60 points if named in the best on the official website of that comp. They will basically have the same rules as the current rookies.

As it stands now, on average, every team will have 22 players actually play AFL in the round. 20 teams would reduce this to 20. Realising some teams already struggle to name a full 15, I eased up the position requirements and allowed people to bring in the reserves as a last resort.

This would be paired with a more formal Reserves comp....

WV Competition

You select 5 players to represent you in the reserves.

So you name your 15 as per normal above.

Your 3 emergencies from your 15 are your first 3 players in your V reserves. You would name 2 more to round out 5 players, and another 5 players emergency (as with seniors you can name lower league players).

Fixture

EurAsia Conference - 10 teams play each other once over 9 rounds
AAP Conference - 10 teams play each other once over 9 rounds.

Next stage:

Division A (6 teams)

Guaranteed finals - but jostle for positions....

Top 3 from each conference to Division A. The results against the teams they have already played carry over. They play the other 3 teams once (brings us to 12 rounds), plus EVERYONE again (5 games - brings us to 17 rounds).

Division B (8 teams)

8 teams fight for the last 2 spots

Teams 4, 5, 6, 7 from each conference move to Division B. No results carry over. They play each other once over 7 rounds (brings us to 16 rounds). The Top 4 play off in elimination for Round 17.

Division C (6 teams)

Playing for pride....

Bottom 3 from each conference move to Division C. The results against the teams they have already played carry over. They play the other 3 teams once (brings us to 12 rounds), plus EVERYONE again (5 games - brings us to 17 rounds).

FINALS

Week 1
Qualifying Final One: 1st Div A v 4th Div A
Qualifying Final Two: 2nd Div A v 3rd Div A

Elimination Final One: 5th Div A v Winner of 2nd Div B and 3rd Div B
Elimination Final Two: 6th Div A v Winner of 1st Div B and 4th Div B

And go from that as normal....

Holz

do the new teams take some of the existing clubs players?

Memphistopheles

I'm in favour of having more teams - because the more the merrier.

However, I think adding teams to an existing comp could be tricky.

And, I don't like changing the format of naming your team or being able to use players not actually playing in the AFL.

Certainly don't increase the number of midfielders at least. Maybe allow teams to pick from a number of team line-ups each week to be able to field 15.

Like how we have flooding and attacking now - there could be a few different team line-ups that you can choose so it's flexible depending on your players available.

Like:

3D, 5M, 3F, 1R, 3I
4D, 4M, 4F, 1R, 2I
5D, 4M, 3F, 1R, 2I
3D, 4M, 5F, 1R, 2I

I also don't like the new fixture idea. You can't have a team guaranteed finals after 9 rounds. I don't like it.

Nige

RaisyDaisy

I love your creativeness Os, it's awesome, but if it aint broke...

ossie85

Quote from: Holz on June 05, 2015, 11:31:24 AM
do the new teams take some of the existing clubs players?

haven't worked that bit out yet

Memphis after 9 rounds reckon conservatively we have 4 teams guaranteed. Remembering we have 20 teams fitting into 8 this time not 18

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Memphistopheles on June 05, 2015, 11:32:24 AM

I think the I5's might be a good argument against this

ossie85

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on June 05, 2015, 12:16:38 PM
Quote from: Memphistopheles on June 05, 2015, 11:32:24 AM

I think the I5's might be a good argument against this

You think? I reckon that i5s is going along pretty well, MOST people contribute. There's not much passion, but it hasn't really been focused on.

kilbluff1985

not sure how many are planning to or want to continue it next year tbh though

and it wasn't really an argument against your idea just against his comment

not against your idea at all as i'd probably apply for one of the teams if it went ahead

Purple 77

When I was talking about this last night with oz, hypothetically, if I was on board, then these things would have to happen:

The best teams (I'm looking at Dublin especially, as they are younger than Mexico City), would have to contribute more than other teams to the players of the new teams. And the weak teams would contribute close to nothing, if not zero.

This is beyond the work of one person to administrate the comp. Oz would have to come out of retirement basically  :P

This makes a complex (and the best) competition even more complex... dedicated coaches would be needed. Fortunately, I think we'll be fine in that regard.

An idea like this is only possible because the state of Worlds is just so healthy at the moment. Although there is a lot of opposition to it, I'm crediting a large reason for that is because of the cap oz introduced.

Perhaps the two new teams could own the entirety of the first two rounds of the draft, and trade for players or draft them?

Ringo

IMO the only way it could work if bringing in extra teams would be a complete redraft to be fair to the new teams as it is highly unlikely that top players will be surrendered to new teams.

Will further disadvantage teams that have been rebuilding and getting depth into their squads if they have to give up players.

So basically because of the logistics and in the interests of fairness to all I am not really a fan unless a suitable and fair system can be developed for delisting players and drafting 2 new teams to be competitive.

AaronKirk

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on June 05, 2015, 11:50:09 AM

Boomz

Quote from: AaronKirk on June 05, 2015, 02:33:17 PM
Quote from: RaisyDaisy on June 05, 2015, 11:50:09 AM

This pretty much. Not completely against expanding but don't see any rush...

JBs-Hawks

Levi434

I really wouldn't mind the expansion but there may need to be some tweaks.

How about a bidding system similar to what the AFL has adopted?

Example:

The 2 new teams can have a majority of the first 2 round in the International draft and each of the selections will get a points value where each pick is worth 95% of the pick before it. Pick 1 may be worth 1500 points, Pick 2: 1425, Pick 3: 1354, Pick 4: 1286 and so on. 

Pick 1: New Team 1 (1500)
Pick 2: New Team 2 (1425)
Pick 3: Team that finished 18th (1354)
Pick 4: New Team 2 (1286)
Pick 5: New Team 1
Pick 6: Team that finished 17th
Pick 7: New Team 1
Pick 8: New Team 2
Pick 9: Team that finished 16th
Pick 10: New Team 2
Pick 11: New Team 1
Pick 12: Team that finished 15th
Pick 13: New Team 1
Pick 14: New Team 2
Pick 15: Team that finished 14th
Pick 16: New Team 2
Pick 17: New Team 1
Pick 18: Team that finished 13th

These values directly represent a players score for the year in WXV's. Meaning that Pick 1 is worth a player who scored 1500 points for the year.

Then each team has the opportunity to put some of their players up for bid and then anyone who has enough picks can bid on those players put up. Example: Marc Murphy scores 1495 points for the year and the Rio de Janeiro Jaguars put him up for auction. New Team 1 can bid Pick 1 overall and surpass the quota required for Murphy. But New Team 2 may bid Pick 2 worth 1425 points along with Pick 70 worth (100 lets say) and then they have therefore surpassed the quota. After all bids have been made then the current owner of the respective player has the choice of which bid they like.

If this were to go ahead, another thing I'd like to see added is future picks. So lets say Gary Ablett scores 2999 points for the year and he is put up for auction. Team 1 may bid 2015 Pick 1 worth 1500 points along with 2016 Pick 2 and Pick 50 to surpass the quota of 2999.