WXV Round 9: Challenges for Royals, Islanders, Wolves, Revolution

Started by Purple 77, May 26, 2015, 10:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Round 9, AFL Round 9

Home TeamAway TeamHead-to-HeadVenue
Cairo Sands     v    Buenos Aires Armadillos  0  v  3 Borg El Arab Stadium   AAP Alliance   
Cape Town Cobras     v    Tokyo Samurai  2  v  1 Newlands Cricket Ground        
Dublin Destroyers     v    Berlin Brewers  3  v  0 Crooke Park   EurAsia, Europe     
Mexico City Suns     v    Rio de Janeiro Jaguars  0  v  0 Neutral, Melbourne Cricket Ground   AAP Alliance, Americas   
Moscow Spetsnaz     v    Beijing Thunder  3  v  1 Luzhniki Stadium   EurAsia       
New York Revolution     v    Toronto Wolves  0  v  3 MetLife Stadium, New Jersey   AAP Alliance, Americas   
Pacific Islanders     v    Christchurch Saints  0  v  0 BSP Stadium, Suva, Fiji   Oceania Cup, AAP Alliance, Africonia
PNL Reindeers     v    New Delhi Tigers  2  v  1 State de France   EurAsia     
Seoul Magpies     v    London Royals  1  v  2 Seoul World Cup Stadium   EurAsia     

It's just not Cairo's year, as I'm sure everybody knows by now; through Nige crying foul and me reminding him of it. But really, the recent loss of gun midfielder Dion Prestia to add to an important line of injuries has genuinely attracted the sympathy of the competition, which really would make Cairo feel worse. Buenos Aires has been even worse, but everyone expects it and hence no bats and eye lid. However, this week Buenos Aires go into the match having been undefeated against Cairo... and would really fancy themselves to walk of it with that reputation unhindered. The Dillos have been struggling for leadership, as they don't have any real viable captaincy options. But what they have is a more even spread of quality amongst their best XV, and that's what they'll be banking on to try and win this match. I'm actually going to back the Dillos to win this match.

Cape Town are buzzing at the moment; they have won 4 out of their past 5 matches and what's even more pleasing is that their average score in these wins has been a very respectable 142. On this form, they would consider themselves a genuine chance against a very similar team (13th v 14th in points ladder) in Tokyo, whom sit 5-3 and with important wins over Mexico City, London and Toronto. For Cape Town, this match presents another hurdle they need to jump to make the finals, and if not the same for Tokyo, then this match provides an opportunity to build a buffer from the teams whom sit below them in the 8-13th area. On recent form, Cape Town look to be favourites, and coupled with building momentum, I'll back them to win again this week.

It may be 1st v 9th, but the two highest scoring teams in Dublin and Berlin go head to head in my MATCH OF THE ROUND! Dublin are coming off just as shocking as it is rare loss to its bogey team in London with a poultry score of 133, compared to a Berlin team that scored its second highest score in its history (169) against competition struggler's New Delhi. Although the coach bemoaned that this performance came a week too early and that it was a week late to play a Dublin performance that only comes every 4th blue moon, if you pressed further, I was absolutely delighted. However, as much as the discrepancy of last weeks scores favours Berlin, Dublin has still scored a mammoth 137 more points than Berlin this year, and will walk into this match as overwhelming favourites... and very angry. Both teams will welcome important rested players for the duel, with Berlin needing to hit around the same mark to really have a good chance a toppling the Worlds' Giants. As much as I will delude myself this week that I have a chance... I probably don't. Dublin will win this match, and it may get ugly.

Mexico City sent a reminder to the competition that it is well and truly a team that can win the premiership last week; scoring 166 following its 150 the week before. The Suns are beginning to welcome back its injured stars, and they are looking genuinely scary in the process. Unfortunately for Rio, it wasn't one of the few lucky teams between rounds 2-6 that got to play Mexico City, and face a mountain of a challenge to topple this team. But you know what? The Jaguars are a big chance to do just that. They have scored 296 points in the last two weeks in a desperate attempt to at least break even in their underachieving year to date. Rio are a good team, and have been without the Worlds best player in Gary Ablett. You never know is all. But based on the odds, I will back Mexico City this week at the neutral ground of the glorious MCG.

I challenged the Spetsnaz, or, rather doubted their relevance to the eight after their 3rd unimpressive score of the year in Round 5. But since then, Moscow has pumped out 148, 149 and 152 and in the process convinced me that they are very much so in finals contention. With its Round 1 loss against Cairo its only glaring disappointment of the year, Moscow will be both confident and wary against the improved Thunder, who looked tired last week in their loss to Rio de Janeiro. Perhaps Matthew Jaensch was a bigger loss than first thought? Nonetheless, the Thunders' self belief has grown all season, and as a result would back themselves in to overcome the Spetsnaz whom, despite look finals ready, have been prone to poor performances this year. I think these days will be far a few between though, and I will back the Spetsnaz here.

Both these teams seem to be facing pretty much the same problems at the moment; injuries and/or poor form to key personnel.  Both teams are 1-2 in their last 3 weeks, and both teams have scored below their season average in the last two weeks as well. As a result, I'm challenging both teams this week to either stand up and brush any arising doubts aside, or crumble and let these doubts come under the spotlight next week. New York would be hoping Jackson Macrae is available this week just as hard as Toronto would be hoping Swallow gives the thumbs up on his thumb, so really these two teams are very much alike. Who will win? This, I'm not entirely sure. I'll admit I have bias for the Wolves, as up until Round 6 had my affections big time. But they've let me down the last couple of weeks, so I'm gonna back New York on this one.

This is an interesting match, and would be my runner-up to the match of the round. Only 2 points separate these teams on the points ladder, and as such they have been scoring very similar for the whole year. Christchurch had a poor week and won last week against the Dillos, and only narrowly avoided being eliminated in the World Idol, whereas the Islanders have been solid in the last two weeks, but dropped important games against like-teams Moscow and Cape Town. If you look at their results a bit closer, the only real scalp the Islanders have claimed are Berlin, with the rest of their wins coming against the current bottom 5. In that case, I'm challenging the Islanders to get it done against a top 8 team this week, and if they do, will remain relevant of the finals race. But I'll back the Saints on this one; as long as they get their captain right.

It remains to be so that New Delhi have scored the least, and conceded the most this year; with its belting by Berlin last week not helping that stat at all. Unfortunately for them, they come up against PNL whom have scored the 3rd most amount of points this year and would be looking for a handy percentage boost. Again, I can't stress this enough; New Delhi aren't a bad team (well, they're certainly bottom 6), they've just been unfortunate. But, keep fielding players and you never know! PNL continue to be a picture of scary consistency, having averaged 150 in their past 5 weeks! Dayum. Perhaps Matt Priddis needs a rest this week? PNL will get it done.

The whole world was right behind London last week as it took down the empire last week, but now they'll go back to having the teams above them hoping they lose as they face, well, a real danger game if you ask me against the Magpies. Yes I know the Royals have demanded more respect this year, but I just can't shake the feeling they are going to lose a match against a bottom 5 team this year, just because they have been prone to it in the past. Is this the game? Well, Seoul would have only fallen short by 4 (WXV) points last week, which would be a little close for comfort for the Royals. The Magpies have a great midfield btw, and all it would take is for all of them to fire at once (which I'm surprised they haven't already this year) and then all of a sudden you'll find Seoul scoring 140+ IMO. You know what? London beat Dublin last week. But they'll lose to Seoul this week.

Nige

RaisyDaisy

Awesome as always Purps :)

Toronto are a monty to beat us

We are so flowered  :'(

ossie85

Great write up Purps!

Is Dublin your bogey team Purple?

Just saying, Dublin only won 2 games in its first year, and yet Dublin hold a 3-0 lead over you.... Berlin is the only team Dublin hasn't lost to.... (Except the two new teams Rio and Christchurch).

Purple 77

Quote from: ossie85 on May 27, 2015, 09:22:55 AM

Just saying, Dublin only won 2 games in its first year, and yet Dublin hold a 3-0 lead over you.... Berlin is the only team Dublin hasn't lost to.... (Except the two new teams Rio and Christchurch).

Huh. Well, I suppose they are  :-\

Holz

Quote from: Purple 77 on May 27, 2015, 09:24:55 AM

" As much as I will delude myself this week that I have a chance... I probably don't. Dublin will win this match, and it may get ugly."

Setting me up for a failure purp with nothing to win but everything to lose.

your the second highest scoring team coming in with form, you should put up a challenge.

Purple 77

Quote from: Holz on May 27, 2015, 09:34:55 AM

" As much as I will delude myself this week that I have a chance... I probably don't. Dublin will win this match, and it may get ugly."

your the second highest scoring team coming in with form, you should put up a challenge.

I thought I was subtle doing that this week, I really did.

Ringo

Nice summary for us Purps and as you rightfully point out danger game for us. Not sure what to do will Carlton still keep tagging players under a new coach which effects my Captains choice of Hanneberry or McVeigh. With my luck the one I pick will be tagged. 

Holz

Quote from: Purple 77 on May 27, 2015, 09:38:06 AM
Quote from: Holz on May 27, 2015, 09:34:55 AM

I thought I was subtle doing that this week, I really did.

you keep talking up how your the second highest scoring team, so its time to see if Berlin can stand up to a quality side or if they just are just downhill skiers  beating the weaker teams like last week

Ricochet

Quote from: Holz on May 27, 2015, 09:53:10 AM
you keep talking up how your the second highest scoring team, so its time to see if Berlin can stand up to a quality side or if they just are just downhill skiers  beating the weaker teams like last week
Well that's completely false

NDT aren't a weak team :P

ossie85

Ricochet

Jroo

I'm happy I'm playing the Jaguars without Ablett - they'll be quite dangerous when he's back in.

From Purps' PM, surely I'm not the only one who like Beijing? They're an exciting young side on the rise and they were my former team when I was a bit of a spud.

Ricochet

Quote from: JROO8 on May 27, 2015, 03:55:15 PM
From Purps' PM, surely I'm not the only one who like Beijing? They're an exciting young side on the rise and they were my former team when I was a bit of a spud.
what do you mean 'was'?  ;)

Jroo

Quote from: Ricochet on May 27, 2015, 04:07:37 PM
Quote from: JROO8 on May 27, 2015, 03:55:15 PM
what do you mean 'was'?  ;)
Sorry, I can't hear you all the way from the bottom of the ladder.