WXV Round 8: Can London do it again?

Started by Purple 77, May 19, 2015, 09:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Round 8, AFL Round 8

Home TeamAway TeamHead-to-HeadVenue
Beijing Thunder     v    Rio de Janeiro Jaguars  0  v  0 Beijing Olympic Park        
Berlin Brewers     v    New Delhi Tigers  3  v  0 Berlin Olympic Stadium   EurAsia     
Cairo Sands     v    Tokyo Samurai  2  v  1 Borg El Arab Stadium        
Cape Town Cobras     v    Pacific Islanders  2  v  1 Newlands Cricket Ground   AAP Alliance, Africonia   
Christchurch Saints     v    Buenos Aires Armadillos  0  v  0 AMI Stadium   AAP Alliance     
Dublin Destroyers     v    London Royals  0  v  3 Crooke Park   British Isles Cup, EurAsia, Europe   
New York Revolution     v    Moscow Spetsnaz  1  v  2 MetLife Stadium, New Jersey   Peace Cup   
Seoul Magpies     v    PNL Reindeers  3  v  0 Neutral, Patersons Stadium   EurAsia     
Toronto Wolves     v    Mexico City Suns  1  v  2 Rogers Centre   North American Cup, AAP Alliance, Americas 

This week, I try to match up your team to the AFL club I think best resembles your situation, feel and/or form. It was pretty hard, and there was a couple of teams that just didn't really match IMO. Still, hope it is a good read!

In Beijing, we have a young and drastically improved team, helped with a couple of mature additions over the pre-season that have paid off dividends (Jaensch and Bell come to mind). Beijing, like GWS, have commanded a bit more respect from the competition, with top wins against Mexico City and Toronto, and losses only against Dublin and Christchurch. Also like GWS, do we really think they can stick around for finals? Will they run out of gas? Time will tell, but in the meantime, they come up against a new team, with a new coach, just not getting the results they know they are capable of. Like the Gold Coast Suns, Rio de Janeiro have just had a hellish start to the year, and both the Suns and Jags are sorely missing the competitions best player. However, Rio were MIGHTY impressive last week; notching up 150 - a score Beijing is yet to surpass this year. I still think Beijing are susceptible to a (temporary?) major collapse where their abnormally good performers will go back to their ways. Still, I'll back the Thunder to get it done... but with caution.

In Berlin, I think is a reflection of Port Adelaide; a team that can certainly put up scores that can put them well into finals, but really have underachieved this year and are losing the games that they must simply win to be viewed as a premiership threat. Berlin has scored the third most amount of points this year, yet sit 3-4 with plenty of quality opposition to come. Not so much this week though, where a team crippled by injuries has resulted in a painful struggle to show what they can really do. In this regard, I liken New Delhi to St Kilda... yes they can play well, just look at last week when New Delhi almost hit the 130 mark when they had some players hit the park. But nonetheless, New Delhi are still a bottom tier team with some ways to go. Berlin would want to be careful though, as a loss here would pretty much end all hope of a finals appearance... crazier things have happened is all I can say. Berlin should get it done.

In Cairo, we have a team that looked pretty good for one week of the year... and just pretty damn ordinary for the rest of it. Cairo entered the season with expectations that it would challenge for finals, and with players like Dayne Beams, Dion Prestia and Shane Mumford, perhaps they were within their right. Unfortunately, just because you have a handful of good players, just like the Carlton football club has shown, doesn't mean you are any good as a collective. The players just aren't playing for the coach at the moment, and as with each passing week, more questions are being directed at the coach, and more respect is being lost. Tokyo have at times been impressive, and won, been good, and lost, and been bad... and just scrape home. In this regard, I liken them to Essendon; a team that can challenge for finals, but with no real certainty they will do so. Tokyo are coming off a close loss with a like-team in Berlin last week (like Essendon) and (also like Essendon) face a team they simply should beat. And I'll back them to do it.

There were a few contenders to compare a team to Richmond this week, but I reckon Cape Town receives that title. My reasoning? Well, Cape Town had expectations to be in the finals this year; they made it last year after all. Yet, like Richmond, have fallen well short of those expectations so far. But also like Richmond, its not the end of the world yet, and the Cobras are taking corrective steps to make their charge towards finals (as shown by 3 wins in the last 4 matches). The Cobras opponent, Pacific, I liken to the Western Bulldogs, because they just continue to impress almost every time they play. Like the Dogs, Pacific are drastic improver's this year, and it somewhat feels like it came out of nowhere. Also like the Dogs, they are coming off a valiant loss, and would be eager to atone with a win this week. This is just gonna be a pretty good match really, and I'm dubbing it my MATCH OF THE ROUND! You know what? I'm gonna back the Cobras, I think they're making a resurgence.

Christchurch had a few candidates in my opinion that I could liken them to, but in the end I chose Adelaide. Because, like Adelaide, they have shown they are a genuine and consistent force to be reckoned with and, despite one particularly poor performance, have really shown they the real deal. I also think Christchurch and Adelaide have surprised us all of just how good they really are. The crazy consistent Saints (6 scores in the 140-145 range) are coming off their second loss, and what better why to do that is for a good ol' fashion belting of an inferior team. Enter, Buenos Aires; the team I liken to Brisbane this year, purely for just being ordinary (obviously I'm overlooking the amazing win the Lions had over Port). However, that's really where the similarities stop... I can't work out Brisbane, whereas everyone could see the Dillos were headed for this. But as the Lions showed last week, there are no certainties in this game and you never know what may happen... just take an educated guess; Christchurch, by a lot. *reading back, I sound pretty harsh to the Dillos... sorry  :-X*

I think we could all safely agree that Dublin be likened to the only undefeated AFL team in Fremantle. Both teams are over-powered in the midfield, yet have bookend guns that you just can't fault. But really though, Dublin are producing more than what Fremantle are, aren't they? They're producing the points of a Port Adelaide team in a frenzy, the unchallenged strength of Fremantle, the coach-player physicality of Justin Leppitsch... and the smack of the entire Collingwood fan base. With London, I chose to compare them with Geelong; a team full of professionals led by reliable veterans, kicked along with bursts of brilliance from young players, rising to the challenge of the tough teams, yet find themselves 3-4 and struggling to remind everyone of that. But the INCREDIBLE stat of this match, is that Dublin is YET TO DEFEAT LONDON, ever! Surely they couldn't do it again? Win or loss, London can be assured of the support from 17 supporter bases, probably as Dublin belt them.

New York is coming off a major smacking from the hands of PNL; to go along with its thrashing from Dublin. Perhaps they can't match it with the top-tier clubs? In this regard and question in common, I liken them to North Melbourne. Both teams have recruiting mature players in the off-season, both teams are simply gonna make the finals, both teams will win most of there matches fine too... but both teams have also suffered two beltings from quality teams. So it will be interesting when they meet Moscow whom, having scored 297 in last two weeks, pose a real challenge to the Revolution. I can't decide where Moscow fits in the ladder... they have beaten good opponents, yet have lost games that there form indicates they should win. I sorta think the Spetsnaz are Worlds Collingwood, especially in regards to Jukes/Torp moulding the team they inherited into a team that you can distinctly recognise as theirs. Sure they are gonna be people that question why you let go a couple of players, but really, those people just need to be patient and wait for the team to blossom. But anyway, this match might be the match of the round yet, but I'm banking on Moscows' inconsistency to give New York the win here, despite the loss of Duncan.

I had to give it to someone JB, so I hope you won't be too upset when I say the Seoul can be likened to Melbourne this year  :P. I say this because, basically, you have lost against the teams you have expected to lose against (the top teams... and Cape Town), and won against the teams you were expected to at least challenge (Cairo, Buenos Aires, Rio). And, you have won your matches despite being one of the lowest scoring teams in the comp; and with a young and promising core of players. It's just that currently... your not quite there yet, by any means. Seoul has only scored 130+ once this season, so it is sorta impressive they have 3 wins to be honest.  PNL on the other hand, are a top 4 team... they shut me up last week when they smashed out 163 points in their way to making Dublin take notice. In this regard, I liken them to Sydney; a hard all-round team with plenty of players in their 2s that other clubs would certainly like to have. That's right, I'm not comparing them to Richmond (in terms of luck), or North Melbourne (in terms of inconsistency), I'm now officially viewing them as worthy of top 4, and with that, will win this match.

Toronto have quietly (despite my best efforts) gone about their business this year, yet, somehow still under the radar IMO, sit 2nd on the freaking ladder! In this exact regard, I liken them to West Coast. However, Toronto's last two weeks have been far from impressive; losing to Tokyo and grinding a win out of Buenos Aires. Despite their scoring prowess before last week and they're position on the ladder, some respect as been lost identifiably, and all of a sudden have slipped to 8th on the points ladder! To add further concern, midfield stalwart Andrew Swallow is out, and many players of Toronto's opponent are coming back in this week. That team is Mexico City, the team that the competition is wrongfully forgetting about while they wait patiently for their injured/suspended players to return and not panicking at all at their comparably slow 4-3 start. This team screams Hawthorn to me; why peak now when there is so much season to come? Mexico City are still the team that Dublin should be most concerned about, and I think they will start reminding the competition this week about just how good they are, if they didn't last week. So I'm backing Mexico City.

Ringo

London are ready - Coach has been having strong bonding sessions and have analysed Dublins weakness which is overconfidence.  We will take it right up to Dublin and with our team performing to their capabilities we will maintain our undefeated record against Dublin.

Purple 77

Vinny

Haha don't worry Purps, I'm used to it, we get destroyed in these previews every week. :'( :P

Holz

Quote from: Ringo on May 19, 2015, 09:23:38 PM
London are ready - Coach has been having strong bonding sessions and have analysed Dublins weakness which is overconfidence.  We will take it right up to Dublin and with our team performing to their capabilities we will maintain our undefeated record against Dublin.

Two words that strike even more fear than "Dublin Destroyers" is "crooke park"

kilbluff1985

Seoul are suing WXV for defamation  :P  ;)

Swallow out is hurting us and Kelly isnt doing as well as we hoped and McGlynn has missed a few

these don't help us when even our best XV is fragile

Nige

Did you really have to compare us to one of the teams I dislike most, Purps? I mean, you know we're struggling, that I'm a Tigers man and we're going through tough times and yet you rub salt in our wounds? I hope you're being cruel to be kind, Purple 77!  :'( >:(

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on May 19, 2015, 10:13:43 PM
Seoul are suing WXV for defamation  :P  ;)

Swallow out is hurting us and Kelly isnt doing as well as we hoped and McGlynn has missed a few

these don't help us when even our best XV is fragile

Atleast we didnt get compared to Carlton :P

roo boys!

Just a question about Swallow Purps, seeing as I rested him and he's not going to be playing this week, does he lose that 10% bonus, or does it carry over to the next time he plays in the next 2-3 weeks?

RaisyDaisy

Libba and Duncan gone for the season, Montagna only 50/50 to return this week - Jack Macrae dropped by the dogs - our midfield is flowered, and so are we  :'(

Besides Stevie J, that's our starting 4 mids all gone!  :'(

Holz

Quote from: Purple 77 on May 19, 2015, 09:19:09 PM
Win or loss, London can be assured of the support from 17 supporter bases, probably as Dublin belt them.

maybe my good friends over at PNL will be cheering me on. As Dublin will hoping for their first ever win against Seoul as the rightly should being one of my biggest if not biggest threats.

Hellopplz

Quote from: roo boys! on May 19, 2015, 10:37:19 PM
Just a question about Swallow Purps, seeing as I rested him and he's not going to be playing this week, does he lose that 10% bonus, or does it carry over to the next time he plays in the next 2-3 weeks?
You sadly lose the bonus RB :(. Only applies if the player plays the next round, so just bad luck there :-\.

Quote from: Holz on May 19, 2015, 11:22:19 PM
Win or loss, London can be assured of the support from 17 supporter bases, probably as Dublin belt them.
maybe my good friends over at PNL will be cheering me on. As Dublin will hoping for their first ever win against Seoul as the rightly should being one of my biggest if not biggest threats.
Think you mean PNL looking for their first win against Seoul! Certainly won't be taking them likely, but hopefully we can back up last week's performance. As for cheering for Dublin, if it wasn't against a European team I maybe would. I want to increase my chances at back-to-back European Cups, so go London! >:D

Holz

Quote from: Hellopplz on May 19, 2015, 11:30:09 PM
Quote from: roo boys! on May 19, 2015, 10:37:19 PM
You sadly lose the bonus RB :(. Only applies if the player plays the next round, so just bad luck there :-\.

Quote from: Holz on May 19, 2015, 11:22:19 PM
Think you mean PNL looking for their first win against Seoul! Certainly won't be taking them likely, but hopefully we can back up last week's performance. As for cheering for Dublin, if it wasn't against a European team I maybe would. I want to increase my chances at back-to-back European Cups, so go London! >:D

Traitor, I was saying Dublin is hoping you have your first win against Seoul.

Boo PNL.

Weirdly the team I most like now is London.

Lets go draw. I stay undefeated and London move up the ladder.

Jroo

Brilliant stuff Purps!

I agree with you, Id say we have a bit of hawthorn about us :P

Jukes

I sorta think the Spetsnaz are Worlds Collingwood, especially in regards to Jukes/Torp moulding the team they inherited into a team that you can distinctly recognise as theirs. Sure they are gonna be people that question why you let go a couple of players, but really, those people just need to be patient and wait for the team to blossom. But anyway, this match might be the match of the round yet, but I'm banking on Moscows' inconsistency to give New York the win here, despite the loss of Duncan.

that is legit the best way to describe our coaching imo, always thought of it that way

I don't want Fyfe, Martin, Tyson and Shaw, I want Heppell, Gray, Hogan and Docherty!

Nice stuff to give the team with two Dons supporters coaching the pies :X

You backed us to lose last week (and the week before iirc) but we stuffed it right up them, hopefully can do it again! We're a better side atm imo but inconsistency (also known as gun players going full retard) yeah, wouldn't mind losing to them tho as NY are probably my third favourite team because RD and AK are actually tolerable, unlike the rest of you :P

Team in next post probably