WXV Round 5: London and Pacific to break ducks?

Started by Purple 77, April 29, 2015, 10:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple 77

Round 5, AFL Round 5

Home TeamAway TeamHead-to-HeadVenue
Buenos Aires Armadillos     v    Beijing Thunder 2  v  1 Estadio de River         
Christchurch Saints     v    Cape Town Cobras 0  v  0 AMI Stadium   AAP Alliance, Africonia     
Dublin Destroyers     v    Tokyo Samurai 1  v  2 Crooke Park   EurAsia       
London Royals     v    PNL Reindeers 0  v  3 London Royals Olympic Stadium   EurAsia, Europe   
Mexico City Suns     v    New Delhi Tigers 3  v  0 Fireball Stadium         
New York Revolution     v    Cairo Sands 1  v  2 MetLife Stadium, New Jersey   AAP Alliance   
Pacific Islanders     v    Berlin Brewers 0  v  3 Tuanaimato International Stadium, Samoa         
Seoul Magpies     v    Rio de Janeiro Jaguars 0  v  0 Seoul World Cup Stadium       
Toronto Wolves     v    Moscow Spetsnaz 1  v  3 Neutral, ANZ Stadium         

Buenos Aires' opposition in the last 3 weeks have scored 87, 119 and 122, and they have dropped the last two. They need to take these opportunities and need to believe that, whomever the opponent, that they could slip up and the Dillos can pounce. Beijing showed last week, their first time this year, that even they can't sustain the form that has created such noise this year; scoring 122 last week. If Buenos Aires are any chance, they need to believe they can do it. But Beijing should get the job done on the road this week.

With three scores in the 140s, Christchurch are well and truly looking for a spot in the finals and this form line will get them there. Cape Town have struggled this year at the selection table and that has reflected in their performance; getting their first win only last week in an epic with Rio de Janeiro. So far this year, Cape Town have only out-scored Christchurch once, and they must simply do it this week to keep their finals hopes alive; because all of a sudden they'd be 2-3 and back in the race. Heck, I'm going for the upset here, Cape Town will get their selections right and pull off another cracking win!

A slow week for the Destroyers, posting their second worst score of the year; top-scoring the round with a 160. The scary thing is, is that they did it with a captain day-dreaming of a premiership. Tokyo currently sees themselves 5th on the ladder, only dropping their round 1 match against Christchurch. Unfortunately, their three game winning streak will end this week. No one has a chance against Dublin at the moment.

Ho-ho, this is a massive danger game for the Reindeers, boy-howdy, and MY MATCH OF THE ROUND (I've been getting these right this year!). London have this habit of rising (and falling) to the occasion, and often just seem to find a way to win. To illustrate this, two weeks ago London scored 156 and then followed it up with a disappointing loss coming off a score of 131. PNL for the first time this year looked like a top 4 team last week, and I don't know about everyone else, but I'm still not convinced they deserve to have that expectation. The PNL of old would find a way to lose this, as much as London would find a way to win it. Have things really changed at PNL? I reckon the result of this match will answer that. The round of upsets for me, London to break the 0-3 duck!

Mexico City would be breathing a sigh of relief last week, scraping a win from just a measly 129. Fortunately for them, their opponents would be dreaming of scoring that high, as New Delhi just can't field a traditional XV this year. On a positive note for the Tigers however, things at Mumbai are starting to pick up, with sources saying they may be welcoming more and more players in the coming weeks, and that improvement will eventually be shown in the seniors. Mexico City by 7 goals.

New York would be somewhat nervous ahead of their clash with the unpredictable Sands, whom have been poor since their round 1 win against the Spetsnaz with scores of 126, 129 and 117. The Sands' regulars from last year are either injured or down on form, and they are being pleaded with desperate eyes from the Cairo coaches to lift the team out of the rut they have themselves in. New York have the worst behind them now, seeing as they played Dublin last week, and would be looking forward to see how what a score from a rested Steve Johnson and a good week from their other 14 may look like. New York should get it done.

Pacific's season has been one of exciting improvement and honurable (and frustrating) losses. Yet their last two weeks have looked very different to their first two rounds, scoring an average 135 and a disappointing 124. They have only lost two last years Grand Finalists and lost by 2 and 5 points respectively, adding heartbreak to their season as well. Speaking of heartbreak, Berlin are coming off a week where they scored the 4th highest score of the round, and managed to lose by 8 (SC) points. Berlin also find themselves having scored the second most amount of points this year for a return of just two wins... I don't want to be PNL, I really want, nay, need to win this match to maintain somewhat of a reflection of the form Berlin has showed this year. I don't really know how this match is going to play out, as I don't know which Pacific is going to turn up... but I feel the pressure is on Berlin this week.

Seoul find themselves 2-2 by scoring the third least amount of points (adding to my frustration) so far this year, not once cracking 130. Yet, Rio de Janeiro find themselve 1-3 having scored the 6th most amount of points this year... WXVs is a funny game. Seoul should consider themselves very lucky so far, contrasted with Rio whom are coming off a heartbreaking 14 (SC) point loss against the Cobras, with star forward Tex Walker (26) failing to deliver at the last hurdle. Come on Rio, seek some justice to your good form this year and beat this overachieving lot. Bias aside, Seoul should consider themselves a chance and keep bringing that defensive mantra that has got them this far. Rio for me.

In our second neutral game for the year, this time being played at the ANZ Stadium in Sydney, Toronto are in fine form; sitting 2nd on the ladder and scoring the third most amount of points this year. This form should really make people reconsider where they view Toronto to be at. Moscow are another team (one of eight) to be sitting at 2-2 so far this year, showing incredible courage to beat Berlin by the narrowest of margins last week. Their form reads 129 (loss), 145 (win), 124 (loss), 146 (win). There is a couple of clear patterns here; score well, they win. Score bad, they lose. Most interestingly, if this pattern continues, then Toronto have nothing to worry about, and I think they will bring it home.

Jukes

D: L. Dunn (Resting Bonus), S. Docherty, P. Seedsman, N. Vlastuin
M: C. Ward (cc), D. Heppell (cc), D. Armitage, R. Bastinac
R: N. Naitanui
F: R. Gray, J. Daniher, F. McInnes, H. Ballantyne
U: D. Sheed, C. Pearce

Emg: A. Monfries, J. Sinclair, S. May

Resting Jesse Hogan

ossie85

Quote from: Purple 77 on April 29, 2015, 10:40:56 AM
A slow week for the Destroyers, posting their second worst score of the year; top-scoring the round with a 160. The scary thing is, is that they did it with a captain day-dreaming of a premiership. Tokyo currently sees themselves 5th on the ladder, only dropping their round 1 match against Christchurch. Unfortunately, their three game winning streak will end this week. No one has a chance against Dublin at the moment.

Quote from: ossie85 on April 13, 2014, 08:26:08 PM

Debutants stun Destroyers

Sam Lloyd and Martin Gleeson, combined with the ferocious Tokyo crowd, stunned top 4 fancy Dublin with a stirring epic victory.

Tokyo have certainly had highs and lows this year, and Dublin didn't do much wrong. Though not using the sub rule proved costly with Mundy going down.

Tokyo Samurai (23.14.152) defeated Dublin Destroyers (22.17.149)

Best
Tokyo: S Mitchell, S Lloyd, M Suckling, A Fasolo, M Gleeson
Dublin: T Boak, N Dal Santo, J Selwood, T Rockliff, R Gray, J Watson

WXV Debut
Tokyo: S Lloyd, M Gleeson
Dublin: L Delaney

Reserves
Yuzawa Typhoon (10.9.69) defeated Belfast Braves (5.4.34)

Best
Yuzawa: J Rivers, N Suban
Belfast: Nil

Anything can happen. Tokyo have improved since this match!

Holz

Im at home though ossie, interesting to see the last game I lost at home

ossie85

Quote from: Holz on April 29, 2015, 03:31:02 PM
Im at home though ossie, interesting to see the last game I lost at home

Glad you asked :)

Dublin's awesome home record (not including this year)

Team 1   Coach   Score   Result   Team 2   Coach   Score   Margin   MatchT   Year   Round   #   Ground
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   103   lost to   New Delhi Tigers   FisherSaints   126   -23   229   2012   2   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   123   lost to   Cape Town Cobras   My Chumps   138   -15   261   2012   4   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   114   defeated   New York   pyronerd   113   1   227   2012   5   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   114   lost to   Buenos Aires Armadillos   PowerBug   145   -31   259   2012   7   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   125   defeated   Berlin Brewers   Purple 77   97   28   222   2012   9   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   111   lost to   Cairo Sands   MajorLazer   139   -28   250   2012   11   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   127   lost to   Mexico City Suns   Maca24   131   -4   258   2012   14   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   109   lost to   Wellington Warriors   pothead   135   -26   244   2012   16   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   126   defeated   Beijing   JROO8   101   25   227   2013   3   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   143   defeated   Pacific Islanders   Jayman/tbagrocks   98   45   241   2013   6   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   136   defeated   Tokyo Samurai   Boomz/kilbluff1985   129   7   265   2013   10   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   133   lost to   Seoul Magpies   JBs-Hawks/KoopKicka   144   -11   277   2013   11   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   137   defeated   Moscow Spetsnaz   Jukes   135   2   272   2013   14   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   160   defeated   Paris Nice Lyon Reindeers   Hellopplz   142   18   302   2013   15   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   166   defeated   Sao Paulo Pumas   Honey Badger   142   24   308   2013   16   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   139   defeated   Toronto Wolves   roo boys!   131   8   270   2013   17   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   162   defeated   Wellington Warriors   pothead   115   47   277   2014   3   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   139   defeated   Cape Town Cobras   My Chumps   122   17   261   2014   5   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   160   defeated   Toronto Wolves   roo boys!   132   28   292   2014   7   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   177   defeated   Moscow Spetsnaz   Jukes/Torpedo10   153   24   330   2014   9   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   149   defeated   Buenos Aires Armadillos   Nails   137   12   286   2014   11   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   151   defeated   Beijing   Master Q/Toga   114   37   265   2014   13   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   164   defeated   Mexico City Suns   JROO8   137   27   301   2014   15   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   177   defeated   New Delhi Tigers   elephants/Ricochet   120   57   297   2014   16   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   169   defeated   Buenos Aires Armadillos   Nails   144   25   313   2014   F1   H   Crooke Park
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   183   defeated   Mexico City Suns   JROO8   150   33   333   2014   F3   H   Crooke Park

So no losses since Round 11, 2013, and an overall 19-7 record (again not including this year)

Nige

Makes me happy that our game vs Dublin is a neutral game.  :P

Our loss that week hopefully won't be as bad.

kilbluff1985

Seoul:

D: Jack Newnes, Trent Mckenzie, Tom Langdon, Cameron Sutcliffe

M: Patrick Dangerfield (C), Brandon Ellis (VC), Toby Greene, Ben McGlynn

R: Ben McEvoy

F: Tom Lynch, Brandon Matera, Christian Salem, Josh Kelly

I: Lachie Whitfield, Jake Lloyd

Emg: Jonathon Ceglar, Jordan Roughead, T Boyd

elephants

Quote from: ossie85 on April 29, 2015, 04:43:57 PM
Dublin Destroyers   Holzman   103   lost to   New Delhi Tigers   FisherSaints   126   -23   229   2012   2   H   Crooke Park

HAHAHAHAHAHA

:P

Ricochet

Quote from: elephants on April 29, 2015, 04:49:08 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I bet we still had Rocky then :(

Jroo

Quote from: Ricochet on April 29, 2015, 05:06:24 PM
Quote from: elephants on April 29, 2015, 04:49:08 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I bet we still had Rocky then :(
Should I rest him this week, out of respect to you NDT?

Actually can I rest my whole team? :P

JBs-Hawks

Sooo

Seoul were the last to beat Dublin at home, and are also undefeated at Crooke Park :P

Holz

Thanks Oz so going for 17 straight this week.

I was a joke at home in 2012

Holz

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on April 29, 2015, 05:08:34 PM
Sooo

Seoul were the last to beat Dublin at home, and are also undefeated at Crooke Park :P

Good thing I have you at home next week than for number 18.

Toga

Beijing Thunder:
D: H.Taylor (CC), C.Hooker (CC), M.Jaensch, P.Davis
M: L.Neale, J.Caddy, J.Polec, M.Weller
R: B.Grundy
F: E.Betts, T.Bell, C.Dawes, J.Stewart
I/C: T.Miller, J.Thurlow

Emg: M.Talia (def), C.Wood (ruc), L.Brown (def)

Rest: Liam Shiels

OUT: C.Shenton (omitted), J.Aish (omitted), T.Broomhead (omitted), C.Wood (omitted)
IN: P.Davis, C.Dawes, M.Weller, T.Miller

Boomz

haha who knows ossie but it will take a massive improvement on my last few weeks.

Tokyo Samurai
Def: Johannisen, Henderson, Ibbotson, Suckling
Mid: Judd, Miles, Parker (CC), Jack 
Ruck: Smith
Fwd: Dahlhaus (CC), Motlop, Ambrose, Young
IC: Dempsey, Burgoyne
Emergencies: Carrazzo, Carlisle, Lycett

IN: Dempsey, Judd
OUT: Gleeson, Carrazzo

Resting: Cripps

A shower load of depth to choose from but can't seem to get the team quite right at the moment. Super tempting to drop Jack but I know as soon as I do he will fire...