Matthew Fuller

Started by djbics, February 12, 2015, 10:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djbics

Hey guys, wondering whether anyone has heard much about how Fuller is going this pre-season?  This time last year he was all the rage, until he did an injury either just before or just after the NAB games (I cant remember exactly when).  He's still on the Bulldogs list, 24 years old, priced at a very nice $123,900 as a defender, hopefully he's close to a debut this season?  Checked out Luke Beveridge's 'Ask the Coach' session, someone asked about Fuller and Caleb Daniel and his response has me cautiously optimistic (though this time of year everyone seems to be training the housedown).

Hey Luke. Congrats on the job! I am keen to hear about Matt Fuller and Caleb Daniel. Do you see either or both breaking into the senior team in 2015?
6 · Like · Reply · Yesterday at 09:04

AFL Hi Paul, Matt's having a strong pre-season and is doing everything he can to earn a spot. Caleb has really impressed us wth how naturally he has adapted to our training, as have all of our new boys!

Bit non-committal I suppose but desperation for defensive rookies has me grasping at anything atm lol

Nige

Start looking elsewhere mate, I don't think he'll be one in contention. There's still a bunch of Bullies ahead of him.

djbics

Thanks Nige, I've got to admit I'm not really all over the Bulldogs backline players as much as I should be, I know Biggs will probably slot in there somewhere, most likely off a HBF, plus I'm hearing a lot about the ex-cat Joel Hamling, though being a key-position prospect he probably wont be a great scorer/fantasy relevant.  What happened to Brett Goodes?  Looked promising enough two seasons ago, but disappeared early last year and I'm pretty sure he's on the rookie list this, just back-up in case of injuries?

Nige

Quote from: djbics on February 12, 2015, 11:16:05 PM
Thanks Nige, I've got to admit I'm not really all over the Bulldogs backline players as much as I should be, I know Biggs will probably slot in there somewhere, most likely off a HBF, plus I'm hearing a lot about the ex-cat Joel Hamling, though being a key-position prospect he probably wont be a great scorer/fantasy relevant.  What happened to Brett Goodes?  Looked promising enough two seasons ago, but disappeared early last year and I'm pretty sure he's on the rookie list this, just back-up in case of injuries?
Yeah, just an experienced, big body in case they need him.

Hamling will eventually get game time, but he's not gonna be a fantasy prospect.

It's a shame Biggs isn't listed as a defender.

djbics

Quote from: Nige on February 12, 2015, 11:18:50 PM

It's a shame Biggs isn't listed as a defender.

If only mate, if only......

Going to probably squeeze him into my midfield anyway, looks the goods and if he gets some time rotating through the mid-field could end up posting some good scores.

AaronKirk

The defence seems to be a settled lineup at the kennel. If Fuller couldn't get a game last season I'd doubt that we would see him in the early stages of the season. We can only hope......  :-\

honza

Mature age players are drafted to make an impact straight away. Fuller didn't make an impact straight away.

djbics

Quote from: honza on February 13, 2015, 08:30:04 AM
Mature age players are drafted to make an impact straight away. Fuller didn't make an impact straight away.

Then why keep him on the senior list?  Surely he would have only been given a 1 year contract as a Mature Aged Draftee, if he wasn't at least in the mix then wouldn't he have been de-listed and his spot given to a younger 'draftee'?  I'm sure he's probably there as a depth player, and if he doesn't crack it this year then I can't see the Bulldogs giving him another contract, but everything everyone was raving about last year (great kicking skills and decision making as a rebounding defender) wouldn't have deserted him in 12 months and he's surely worth a look in one of the NAB games.  Who knows, fit and healthy body, new coach, he may be a bolter.....

shaker

Can't see him getting a game probably would have to have a couple injuries for that to happen

honza

Quote from: djbics on February 13, 2015, 08:53:33 AM

Then why keep him on the senior list?  Surely he would have only been given a 1 year contract as a Mature Aged Draftee, if he wasn't at least in the mix then wouldn't he have been de-listed and his spot given to a younger 'draftee'?  I'm sure he's probably there as a depth player, and if he doesn't crack it this year then I can't see the Bulldogs giving him another contract, but everything everyone was raving about last year (great kicking skills and decision making as a rebounding defender) wouldn't have deserted him in 12 months and he's surely worth a look in one of the NAB games.  Who knows, fit and healthy body, new coach, he may be a bolter.....
He was drafted with a 2 year contract. There were attitude concerns before his injury.

djbics

Quote from: honza on February 13, 2015, 09:19:59 AM
Quote from: djbics on February 13, 2015, 08:53:33 AM

He was drafted with a 2 year contract. There were attitude concerns before his injury.

Ahhh, makes more sense then as to why he's still on their list, cheers honza

honza

I'll still keep an eye on Fuller, but at this stage I'm going Maynard/McKenzie and frankly might hold my back 8 all year and concentrate my trade strategy on mids.

djbics

Quote from: honza on February 13, 2015, 10:15:22 AM
I'll still keep an eye on Fuller, but at this stage I'm going Maynard/McKenzie and frankly might hold my back 8 all year and concentrate my trade strategy on mids.

Yeah, currently I'm running a 3 premo / 2 keeper (400k +) defence and have reduced my mids to 4 premos + 1 mid-priced stepping stone.  Seriously contemplating a floating donut down back if a rooke ruck becomes available (ie a Jack Hannath/Rory Lobb/Toby Nankervis type).  I really dont like spending so much in defence, but unless viable cheap options become available (which I really dont think Jamie McMillan, Nathan Brown or Joel Hamling are) I'd rather be confident in a set backline.

Doggoneit

Quote from: AaronKirk on February 12, 2015, 11:29:45 PM
The defence seems to be a settled lineup at the kennel. If Fuller couldn't get a game last season I'd doubt that we would see him in the early stages of the season. We can only hope......  :-\

Not sure about the settled line up.

New coach - new game plan - Bev has already mentioned defenders are the teams big issue. There has been talk of M Boyd and Hunter playing back, not sure that would be on a permanent basis or not. Biggs could slot into a half back role also. Wood might move more to a mid/wing role. Picken could go back to the mids as a tagger again. Murph could play wing/fwd.

Morris, Roughy and Talia will most likely be the talls but after that ... not sure the coach knows yet.

I think it is far from settled

But you are right with Fuller - he has a few in front of him. Reports are he is showing improvement at training but I think very unlikely to be playing early in the season.

meow meow