POD Premiums

Started by RaisyDaisy, January 22, 2015, 08:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaisyDaisy

Been looking through a lot of teams and as suspected most of us are going with the premiums we think represent really good value for money and will be Top 10 in their respective lines, but is anyone putting up the big dollars and getting the Top Priced premiums, which seem to be real great POD's?

Malceski down back
Mumford, Jacobs and even Sandilands in the rucks
Gray and Boomer in the forwards
Rocky would be the only really expensive Mid that looks like being a POD at this stage

We all worry about investing so much money in these guys, but do we put up the big bucks and get a POD that could get us off to a flying start and separate us from the pack which is mostly cookie cutter style teams, myself included  :-[

Mumford and Gray are really screaming out to me as being two of the best scorers that will barely be selected and could make a huge difference

eaglesman

Mumford is the one I am working on the most as I think he is the most likely to produce

Rocky new midfield dynamics - a wait and see
Malceski a new team - wait and see
Gray can he back it up? I for one think he will perform well but not quite as well as last season and see him dropping
Boomer - how dare do we write him off - going to wait for him again

Doggoneit

Well I certainly wont be doing it in the rucks

I am considering going with Malceski as the premium backs are thin. Didn't see him as a POD though - I guess he might be.

Gray - I could be wrong but I think his price has to drop. Plus, imo, there is too many value forwards to ignore

Rocky - maybe, will depend on what rookies emerge.

Mat0369

Sidebottom, Sidebottom and Sidebottom.

Simmo hasn't been in a lot of teams so him and Birch are guys I am looking at in defense

meow meow

I'll be one of 14 people who start with Bob

ben_020285

Quote from: Mat0369 on January 22, 2015, 08:39:28 PM
Sidebottom, Sidebottom and Sidebottom.

Simmo hasn't been in a lot of teams so him and Birch are guys I am looking at in defense

I don't think Simmo will be a POD, I've seen him in plenty of teams but yeah I agree that Birchall will be a POD, a very good POD at that.

I won't be going near any of the players mentioned in the OP due to their price tag and the better value in cheaper premiums who I think will average the same or more.

Jackross10

quinny88

RaisyDaisy

So are you guys starting these blokes or just naming them for the sake of naming them?

I was kind of hoping to see who is putting up the big bucks on the not so popular due to high price premo's, not just for people to list players :P

Dayze

Barlow is a crackin POD.

Gaz Pendles and Jelwood pick themselves. Danger too much upside IMO and round 11 bye.
Leaves one spot for me for a unique. JPK, Ward, Jobe all underpriced so feel I cant avoid.

Malceski way over 500k, not even considering.
Mumford is a beast but everyone knows his history. Goldy and Nic Nat both underpriced and heaps of upside. No room for a unique there.

Then in the forward line you have buddy, Goddard, lids, Swan all with enormous 100+ history, with an abundance of quality cash cows.
No room to get unique there.

The only spots I see a point in going unique is M4/ M5 or D3 and D4. Ive got Yeo and Docherty in my backline and the rest of my team is looking pretty cookie cutter

blackrose

Not exactly premium, but steven motlop in the forward line?

MC

Statistics show that it's unlikely that many players back up a previous top-10 in a position. Of course there are a few exceptions to the rule, but take a look at the rucks for example. Last year's top rucks were nowhere to be seen in 2013. Some 'value' picks are generally a better bet than chasing last year's points/premiums.

You make a good point that many of these players are PODs in that not many are selecting them; many will be scared away by their price I guess, but personally I doubt that they (in general) can back up the effort.

Hoggyz_a_legend

Gibson's been in my team on and off. Could see an decrease in low scoring games if he gets released a bit by having Frawley there?

Goosey

Excellent thread RD.

I am keen to start Malceski, his average from last year is streets ahead of the next best defender so for me he is a must have, and after not managing to get on the Rockliff train last year he's in my four mid premiums (Ablett, Pendlebury, Selwood). Currently have Jacobs/Goldstein but with Jacobs knee mishap he could be swapped out for Mumford, or I could even go for NicNat to free up some cash, and down forward I do have Gray in there at the moment. A lot depends on how many solid rookie picks present themselves I guess.

Footyrulz

History shows picking the high averaging players is a mistake, unless they have produced that score for more than 1 season.

I am, however, considering Jacobs due to due both his durability (I'm not picking a R/F as I think they are all worse than donuts), and the new ruck point scoring (makes him 5+ better value than the others).

I don't see any reason to get any other top averaging players other than Gazza, Pendles and Selwood.