Big Boy McEvoy

Started by djbics, January 19, 2015, 01:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djbics

Been looking through a lot of the early talk and there doesn't seem to be much discussion about Ben McEvoy, is he a viable option this season at all?  At 25 yrs old he is entering his prime as a big bloke, and has shown in the past the capability to average 100+.  With a price-tag of 482,400 he represents good value if he can reproduce that form, and I really believe he could almost be this seasons Sam Jacobs, however what is the likelihood of him wrestling back the No.1 ruck role at Hawthorn for the majority of the season? 

David Hale has seen a reduced output over the past couple of seasons, and at 30 (31 during the season) may find that reduced even more, but the biggest threat to Big Boy IMO is Jonathan Ceglar.  At 23 with only 15 senior games he doesn't really have the runs on the board to suggest he is in-front of McEvoy, but at times last season Clarkson showed a preference for him, which makes this a far harder choice. 

I think with the new ruck rules being introduced in SC this season, plus the decrease in weighting, we may find that by seasons end rucks will have an overall dip in averages, therefore I am staying well clear of most of the 'premium' priced rucks.  At this point I have Nic Nat (R1), Leuenburger (R2), Read (R3), and Bellchambers (F4 or F5).  I am seriously considering however upgrading Leuey to Big Boy, but would love to hear other people comments/opinions on whether this would be worth the additional 120k or so?

Speculator

I guess any bloke who spends half the season in the VFL has a few question marks hanging over him. I like him as a player but I'm not sure Clarko does and therein lies the problem. Just a touch too much VFL risk and red vest risk for my liking.

djbics

Quote from: Speculator on January 19, 2015, 01:36:07 PM
I guess any bloke who spends half the season in the VFL has a few question marks hanging over him. I like him as a player but I'm not sure Clarko does and therein lies the problem. Just a touch too much VFL risk and red vest risk for my liking.

Yep, and for those reasons I'm very wary about picking him, plus after just re-reading the guide on the new ruck rules, I'm beginning to think Big Boy may be one of the ruckmen who suffer most, as I'm pretty sure he has a pretty low hit-out to advantage ratio, though I do stand to be corrected on that one.   i think either Leuey or Krueze may still have more upside, plus the money saved can be used elsewhere.  I think i've already talked myself out of this one :P  Though I appreciate the feedback Speculator, thanks man.

Nige

SydneyRox

AaronKirk

nrich102

Mat0369

With Nic Nat about 10k more I think people see him as the better option. I think Nic Nat and a mid price option look the way to go and the cash you save on the rucks you can use in a line that is difficult to find cheap options

djbics

Quote from: Mat0369 on January 19, 2015, 04:57:26 PM
With Nic Nat about 10k more I think people see him as the better option. I think Nic Nat and a mid price option look the way to go and the cash you save on the rucks you can use in a line that is difficult to find cheap options

Yeah, that's definitely the way I'm heading now, just too many questions about Big Boy for my liking.  Seems to be the common consensus anyway :)

Vinny

Far too risky to touch McEvoy.

Waiting to see Kreuzer's role in NAB Cup otherwise Goldy and NN for sure.

Mat0369

Quote from: djbics on January 19, 2015, 05:10:24 PM
Yeah, that's definitely the way I'm heading now, just too many questions about Big Boy for my liking.  Seems to be the common consensus anyway :)

Nic Nat has also proven he can average big over the course of a season when he and Cox both averaged over 110 (Nic Nat averaged 113 that season.) While Big Boy can score well, he has never averaged over 105, it is a more calculated risk going with Nic Nat. I still like Big Boy, but I don't know if I would pick him since I don't think the way the Hawks use their rucks will result in big SC scores. When Big Boy scored well it was from dropping in the hole in defense and taking intercept marks, I think the Hawks want to use their rucks as attacking players which he can do, but it takes away his best scoring asset. I think I would rather take the risk on Minno if I go two higher priced rucks, the premiums usually struggle after their big year before bouncing back to be a bit better. When he was an AA he was really good in the hitout to advantage stat which is where rucks will benefit. No Griff will hurt but I think the Minno/Libba connection will still be an important one.

Sabretooth Tigers

Quote from: Vinny on January 19, 2015, 05:14:37 PM

djbics

Quote from: Vinny on January 19, 2015, 05:14:37 PM

Yeah, I understand a lot of people are going with the NN/Goldy combo, as I posted in another thread, I'm really uncertain any premium ruck will be worth their starting price with the way the new scoring structure is going to pan out.  Nic Nat represents good value at his price so I'm starting with him all things being equal, but I'm not sold on Goldy.  Think I'll stick with Nic Nat and Leuey or Kreuze and use the extra cash elsewhere