Brendan Whitecross

Started by Money Shot, January 15, 2015, 09:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Craig

Quote from: fasttrack13 on January 15, 2015, 11:09:47 PM

By 'cut out' is that fitness, ability or what?
From what Ive seen he has the fitness capability (however is coming back from knee injury, probably holds him back). And as a pie supporter I saw him frustratingly take down maxwell/Shaw/lapumba... (Back then not an easy task).

Those players weren't mids though, I took your comment as suggesting WhiteX could potentially to take over a midfield tagging role and release Langford. In that context I don't see it happening, he doesn't have the hard edge and contested game to play that type of position.

Quote from: fasttrack13 on January 15, 2015, 11:09:47 PM

Also where does Jed Anderson sit for you? He walked straight in a couple of years ago I see him being a freak and best cash cow this year... (If he plays)

The club clearly loves Jed but what complicates matters is that Hartung had a pretty decent debut year himself and is apparently gunning pre season. Both those guys play a pretty similar role and I'm not sure who'll end up ahead in the pecking order just yet. WhiteX, O'Rourke and Woodward are also lurking.

If I was a betting man I'd say that Anderson will play 6-8 games this year. I would also bet that half those games will be as sub so in that respect I don't think he can be trusted as a cash cow.

fasttrack13

Really like that input mr.craig nice stuff!

Potentially the fact the Hawks played him in his first year without the vest a few occasions and also used him when he wasn't injured, gives me hope he will be that cash cow. As you said though... He has competition!

Dayze

Surely the Hawks will be pumping games into at least 2/3 new mids this season.
Such an ageing list. Could comfortably still finish top four and bleed a number of the newer boys.
Langford was ridiculously good as the big games arrived this year but from what my eyes can see, has no where near the talent of Anderson.
Honestly believe Anderson will play the first two months if fit on ball.
Bit off the whitecross topic sorry...

Money Shot

So you guys reckon there's pretty much no chance of him playing round 1?

Dayze

They mite play him round 1 but most of us feel it's very unlikely. Maybe 20% chance.
The Hawks just don't take too many risks. They will be cautious coz they can afford to be with the list they  have

Money Shot

Isn't he in full training though?
Like what's there to be cautious about?

Speculator

I would've thought he he'd be right in the mix

Goosey

He's probably only going to get a look in if there are a handful of the best 22 not available.

Doggoneit

wasn't he only just coming back from a knee when he did it again ?

he's more seasoned than the youngsters pushing in but I can see him being eased back through Box Hill

Mat0369

Quote from: Mr.Craig on January 16, 2015, 02:17:27 AM
The club clearly loves Jed but what complicates matters is that Hartung had a pretty decent debut year himself and is apparently gunning pre season. Both those guys play a pretty similar role and I'm not sure who'll end up ahead in the pecking order just yet. WhiteX, O'Rourke and Woodward are also lurking.

If I was a betting man I'd say that Anderson will play 6-8 games this year. I would also bet that half those games will be as sub so in that respect I don't think he can be trusted as a cash cow.

I watched the game Jed injured himself in the VFL. My god he was on fire that game. He was clearly BoG before he got injured and it was on the back of a couple of other strong performances from what the commentators were saying. I know it is the lower league but he was still impressive

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Dayze on January 16, 2015, 02:31:50 AM
Langford was ridiculously good as the big games arrived this year but from what my eyes can see, has no where near the talent of Anderson.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not go crazy here!

Quote from: Money Shot on January 16, 2015, 10:17:55 AM
Isn't he in full training though?
Like what's there to be cautious about?

The thing is he was best 22 in the 2013 prelim final but 16 months have passed since then. In that time he hasn't played a single competitive match and other players have cemented spots in the team. If it was Watson or Pendles then they would probably be rushed straight back in but Hawthorn have the luxury of giving him time to regain match fitness while building form and confidence in the VFL. And that's what I think will happen.

Quote from: Mat0369 on January 16, 2015, 09:25:40 PM
Quote from: Mr.Craig on January 16, 2015, 02:17:27 AM

I watched the game Jed injured himself in the VFL. My god he was on fire that game. He was clearly BoG before he got injured and it was on the back of a couple of other strong performances from what the commentators were saying. I know it is the lower league but he was still impressive

Yeah, I heard he was fantastic in that game. Can't wait to see him on the park again.

honza

If named I may pick whitecross, but I'm not fretting too much - namely because stacking the backs & forwards and rooking the mids looks the go this year.

Ricochet

an update

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-23/whitecross-right-to-go

HAWTHORN utility Brendan Whitecross is targeting a return to action by the start of the season as he builds his way back from the second reconstruction of his right knee.

Whitecross, who has not played since he went down during the epic 2013 preliminary final win over Geelong, suffered a small setback in his rehabilitation before Christmas when he experienced some soreness.

But the 183cm Hawk looked in terrific shape as he completed running exercises â€" including sprints around the boundary â€" at training on Friday.

"At the moment he's in a full-on running program and he's in and out of skills. So he's progressing really well and he's on track to be right to go come the start of the season," general manager of football operations Chris Fagan told AFL.com.au.

"It's been a slow one. But when it's your second reco you want to get it right and we took the graft from a different spot (left patella tendon) that hopefully does a better job this time around.

"It's a bit of a tougher area and sometimes that can get a bit irritated, which is what happened before Christmas. That's often what happens, and we knew that."

Holz

please be ready to go whitecross, we need you.

I have nobody at D6 and I wnat him to be that guy .

named round 1 locked

Ricochet

Quote from: Holz on January 23, 2015, 05:48:35 PM
please be ready to go whitecross, we need you.

I have nobody at D6 and I wnat him to be that guy .

named round 1 locked
Yeh man I have no faith in anyone else at D6. NBrown hasn't averaged over 48 in 3 years and there are no other standout rookies yet