Main Menu

The Cannon

Started by Rhymenoceros, January 14, 2015, 11:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhymenoceros

Haven't heard anyone discussing Trent McKenzie as an option this year down back. Yes he dropped his average from 88 to 80 (82 unsubbed), but in my opinion that just means he's a little underpriced. Granted I haven't had an account for long, but have lurked for a long time without thinking I have anything to contribute, which is why I hadn't made an account, but last year people were talking about this guy average 95+.

I think last season he just had to adjust to copping a bit more attention after his break out year. So now I reckon he can pick up his game and be a true 90+ scoring defender with that booming kick of his rebounding out of the backline.

Am I crazy? Is there something I'm missing as to why shouldn't I pick him?

Dayze

Hey man, welcome to the site.
I've been on for years and I still can't figure out a profile picture haha.

The deal with mckenzie is the uncertainty on his role.
With malceski on board and the emergence of kolodashnidj, the quarterback role he was assigned is in doubt.
That's the main problem. Better mid price options for most of us...

Mat0369

I think the reason he isn't being talked about as much (and the reason I am not personally considering him) is that he is being forced into more of a lock down role. Playing the 3rd tall in defense and having to be more accountable for his opponent compared to when he was loose the season before has seen his average drop. With Malceski coming into the side to be more of a rebounding defender and then having Kada Kolo and Harbrow also going through defense I think they will just continue to use him in kick out situations and as a 3rd tall because they don't really have anyone else to play that role. Seb Tape could come back into the team but then who do they push out of defense? Off the top of my head the back rotation for the Suns will look like this

Talls
Thompson
May
Cannon
Tape
Day (if swung back in dire need)

Mediums

Malcho
KKolo
Broughton

Smalls

Lemmens
Harbrow

Harbrow is the one I expect them to free up in this case

I love Cannon, but for team structure they need him to play a more accountable role which hurts his SC scoring. They would probably rather the extra run from one of those medium guys then bring in Tape to free up Cannon

Rhymenoceros

Ah yep fair enough, thanks for the detailed responses. To be honest it had completely slipped my mind that Malceski was now a Sun ::) Back to the drawing board for me...

RaisyDaisy

Yep, Malceski coming in doesn't help him one bit SC wise

nrich102

I can see the Gold Coast backline shaping up a little like this.

Cameron, May, Kolo
Cannon, Thompson, Malceski,

IMO McKenzie will only play a lockdown role if one of Cameron, May or Thompson get injured (which is sort of bound to happen lol) and they can't get a replacement.I think he will average about 85 this year, but I won't be picking him.

Woppa15

Surely 'Rocket' will have something up his sleeve for this young bloke. Get him on the wing I say!  60-70m kick, penetrating inside 50's with Cameron marking and having shots from 30m out.

SC wise though, who knows what will happen

crowls

Quote from: Mat0369 on January 15, 2015, 12:09:42 AM
I think the reason he isn't being talked about as much (and the reason I am not personally considering him) is that he is being forced into more of a lock down role. Playing the 3rd tall in defense and having to be more accountable for his opponent compared to when he was loose the season before has seen his average drop. With Malceski coming into the side to be more of a rebounding defender and then having Kada Kolo and Harbrow also going through defense I think they will just continue to use him in kick out situations and as a 3rd tall because they don't really have anyone else to play that role. Seb Tape could come back into the team but then who do they push out of defense? Off the top of my head the back rotation for the Suns will look like this

Talls
Thompson
May
Cannon
Tape

Mediums

Malcho
KKolo
Broughton

Smalls

Lemmens
Harbrow

I love Cannon, but for team structure they need him to play a more accountable role which hurts his SC scoring. They would probably rather the extra run from one of those medium guys then bring in Tape to free up Cannon

Great explanation mat, thank you

nrich102

Quote from: crowls on January 15, 2015, 10:30:50 AM
Quote from: Mat0369 on January 15, 2015, 12:09:42 AM

Talls
Thompson
May
Cannon
Tape

Mediums

Malcho
KKolo
Broughton

Smalls

Lemmens
Harbrow

Great explanation mat, thank you
It is a good explanation Mat, but you forgot Cameron. He is in Gold Coasts best 22 when fit, and he will play as the 3rd tall.

SydneyRox

Quote from: Woppa15 on January 15, 2015, 10:20:33 AM
Surely 'Rocket' will have something up his sleeve for this young bloke. Get him on the wing I say!  60-70m kick, penetrating inside 50's with Cameron marking and having shots from 30m out.

SC wise though, who knows what will happen

This!
Rocket is too clever to leave the Cannon on the sidelines, so if Eski is going to play off HB, then having someone like Mckenzie bombing the ball 60mtr into the fwd line or kicking at goal sounds like a plan.

Mat0369

Quote from: nrich102 on January 15, 2015, 12:46:09 PM
It is a good explanation Mat, but you forgot Cameron. He is in Gold Coasts best 22 when fit, and he will play as the 3rd tall.

Cameron played a few games early and a few games late, I don't think he fits into the 22 when he has Thompson, May and Cannon ahead of him and he is fighting for a spot with Tape who has more versatility. Gold Coast will probably keep the back 6 with something like

Cannon May Lemmens/Broughton
KKolo Thompson Malcho

Then you also have Harbrow rotating through there, Cameron doesn't fit into the best 22

eaglesman

Cameron who the hell is he? (Joking)

He is not best 22 simple as that!

H1bb3i2d

Can honestly see Eski spending much more time up on a wing tbh. I also agree that Cannon is way too lethal to be used as a lockdown player, however, I think he might spend a couple more years in that role before the young team settles down, and when Eski retires, he'll step into his new position.

But I'm not rocket!

Footyrulz

I predict this to be Gold Coast's defence lineup:

Cameron, Thompson and May should occupy the 3 KPP roles (Day could replace Cameron if he moves down back).

Mckenzie could even play as the 3rd tall, which would very much limit his SC scores.

Other than him, Malceski, KK and Harbrow should rotate between HBF, Wing and INT. Lemmens may play as well.

Basically Mckenzie is an unknown quantity. Could play BP, HBF or even Wing. Too risky for me.

meow meow

McKenzie doesn't have the speed nor the tank to play on the wing.