Looking for another top 500 finish - thanks for your thoughts

Started by maxweas, March 17, 2010, 03:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxweas

Hi everyone,

Here is my team, hoping to crack into the top 200 this year.  Would like anyone's constructive thoughts on my team.  Happy to rate yours in return if you mention it.  Thanks for your advice!  ;D

GODDARD, Brendon [MID]
ENRIGHT, Corey
HODGE, Luke [MID]
GRAM, Jason [MID]
Malceski, Nick
HUNT, Josh
MAGUIRE, Matt
WATERS, Beau
Silvagni, Alex

ABLETT, Gary
MITCHELL, Sam
DELEDIO, Brett
WATSON, Jobe
TRENGOVE, Jack
Martin, Dustin
Barlow, Michael
Banner, Mitchell

NAITANUI, Nick
SANDILANDS, Aaron
WARNOCK, Robert
LOBBE, Matthew [FWD]

RIEWOLDT, Nick
FRANKLIN, Lance
TIPPETT, Kurt [RUC]
Hall, Barry
DANGERFIELD, Patrick [MID]
WESTHOFF, Justin
Ballantyne, Hayden
Rockliff, Tom
Hitchcock, Cameron

Cool9

Why are you asking the 380-odd thousand people who finished below you last year?

jam_737

Hey mate. The team looks okay. Not great though.

My understanding is that Franklin is suspended for round one.

I think the key is to have some big names along with the potential for growth. Which you've done. Watson is a bargain!! Luke Ball, i think, could be the best buy of the year. So maybe look at buying him to save a few $. Liam Anthony is also looking good.

My strategy is to buy players which are going to grow in the first three weeks. & anticipate the likes of Ablett & Swan to decrease in value. So personally, i've decided not to buy Ablett or Swan & instead spent bigger in Deffence/forward.

Instead of Lobbe, maybe look at someone like Wayde Skipper? Nick Nat. maybe a slight gamble. Maybe someone like Seaby, Hille or Ottens could be a better option?

Your forward line seems a little inconsistent. Maybe look at Giansiracusa &/or J. Brown? Dangerfield is a good buy! So too with Rockliff.

Hope that helps a bit.

maxweas

Quote from: Cool9 on March 17, 2010, 04:14:23 AM
Why are you asking the 380-odd thousand people who finished below you last year?

Why not?  The only possible reason is a competitive advantage. 

This is probably not the team I will start with, and what seperates the top 2000 from the rest is trading strategies and luck.  If I get an extra 1% out of the reviews then it is worth while.

What are your thoughts?

maxweas

Quote from: jam_737 on March 17, 2010, 04:21:26 AM
My understanding is that Franklin is suspended for round one.

Franklin is suspended for round 1.  Rockliff or Hitchcock would start with Franklin on the bench for round 2.  No use burning a trade to get him in later.

Quote from: jam_737 on March 17, 2010, 04:21:26 AM
I think the key is to have some big names along with the potential for growth. Which you've done. Watson is a bargain!! Luke Ball, i think, could be the best buy of the year. So maybe look at buying him to save a few $. Liam Anthony is also looking good.

Yes lots of bargins to be had in the mids.  I feel like Delidio is going to the next level this year, and Ablett is a lock - lots of people left him out last year too.  With two starting Rookies that only leaves two spots.  Mitchell has had a stealler preseason where as I am not convinced on Anthony - (ave 67) or Ball (mid 80s).   Glad we agree on Watson.  I will have another think about where Ball could fit - the only real option though is to swap for Mitchell.

Quote from: jam_737 on March 17, 2010, 04:21:26 AMMy strategy is to buy players which are going to grow in the first three weeks. & anticipate the likes of Ablett & Swan to decrease in value. So personally, i've decided not to buy Ablett or Swan & instead spent bigger in Deffence/forward.

Interesting strategy, remember there are only 20 trades and it will be very difficult to make sensible trades to bring Ablett and/or Swan in.  You will have to downgrade two players just to bring one of them in, 4 trades probably for both - down to 16 trades already.  I always allow 6 t o8 trades for injury, so you are left without much room to upgrade the rest of your players.  Maybe you don't plan on doing that.

Quote from: jam_737 on March 17, 2010, 04:21:26 AMInstead of Lobbe, maybe look at someone like Wayde Skipper? Nick Nat. maybe a slight gamble. Maybe someone like Seaby, Hille or Ottens could be a better option?

Lobbe is in for his MPP with Tippet, it allows me to move Tippet into the ruck without using a trade should either of my rucks go down.  I am strongly considering Skipper for my 3rd ruck position, if it was for a cash cow then he would be straight in.  My strategy this year is set and forget with my rucks though, especially with the ability to move Tippet there for cover.  Who will paly more games throughout the season - Skipper or Warnock?  Line ball call at this stage.

Quote from: jam_737 on March 17, 2010, 04:21:26 AMYour forward line seems a little inconsistent. Maybe look at Giansiracusa &/or J. Brown? Dangerfield is a good buy! So too with Rockliff.

Forwards tend to be inconsistant.   I know Giansiracusa  has been on fire in the preseasonand he has still only averaged 83.  I'm not sold on his ability to play as well during the season.  J Brown tends to start of the season poorly.  Will hopefully upgrade to him and/or Goodes mid season when there prices drop.

Thank you very much for your feedback.  It has given me a lot to think about.  Hope some of my response helps you.  If you have a team that you would like me to look at please let me know.

Cool9

QuoteWhat are your thoughts?

Don't usually rate teams because people will soon be able to very quickly rate their team with one quick glance at their ranking. But since you ask ....

Not too bad for balance, but too many mediocre players clogging up spots that could be occupied by premium scorers or proper cash cows (ie rookies).

Admire your risk taking in the backs but its a pretty long 'tail' with Hunt, Malceski, and Waters. Don't like Waters for scoring potential.

I would dump Mitchell for Ball. Mitchell not in the top 6, Ball should score the same for much less $$. Don't like Nat starting - pick a decent ruckman so you can set and forget.

Don't like Tippett as a fwd. He's clogging up a spot that could be occupied by a much better player. Westhoff not a SCer and Ballantyne a nothing pick.

Like the rest.  8)

jam_737

In the game Liam Anthony got 67 in the NAB cup, he was subbed off in the 3rd Qtr. He ended up last year well & the first 3 teams Kangaroos are playing, he averaged above 100 for all those last year.

I've been looking long & hard at the swapping between players. In the end I've decided it's really not that worth it. Only the DEF - MID work well, because they're good players with the two diff. positions. If you're looking at setting your rucks to just set & forget, then go Sandilands/Mcintosh in ruck & then select Ottens/Seaby/Hille. I'd say Warnock will get more of a run, in the long run. However in the first few rounds, Skipper will get a fair go, as Taylor is now on Long Term Injury list.

Fair call on my strategy. I'm making sure all my players start off in Rd 1, just to minimize trades later, as much as possible.

Without giving too much away, my team consists of:

Goddard
Gram
Enright
Duffield

Anthony
Watson
Ball
Hodge

Sandilands
Ottens (or Hille)

Chapman
Riewoldt
J. Brown
Giansiracusa
Hall

Then a few other young guys who have been doing well in NAB cup & ended last year well. Just did the NAB cup scores on the team. Would have got 1970, with 2 zeros (Chapman & Brown). So if they can perform throughout the year, then hopefully i can join you in the top 200!