Got some problems, play the long game?

Started by MLS, April 01, 2014, 12:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLS

So de ja vu. Sunday night I couldn't help but harp back to R2 last year where I had a shocker with Karnezis on the field with a sub-10 score, a shocking week, a 50,000 something ranking. This year I had Hurn on field and once again a 50,000 ranking.

On the upside I scrambled my way to a top 1,000 ranking and some good league results on the back of playing the long game.

So I am thinking of doing something, somewhat extreme and downgrading my way out of trouble with some short term pain.

Current team is;

McVeigh, Swallow, Birchall, Hurn, Langford, Langdon, McDonald, Cameron
Pendles, Watson, JPK, Beams, D Thomas, Polec, Dunstan, Michie, Ellis, Taylor
Sandi, Jacobs, Currie, Thurlow
Danger, Parker, Pav, Franklin, Higgins, Dixon, Impey, JKH
30 trades

Am I crazy, or just plain stupid to downgrade these 2 clowns to D Tyson and Georgio and make some cash?

My thinking is that I loathe sideways trading to guys that will return to the mean (Zorko etc) and I can add some team value while building the bank.

Issue is having Taylor on-field in an under-whelming forward line and obviously playing 3 rookies backs.

Thoughts??

kilbluff1985

hi mate

yeah you need to trade Hurn to someone imo

Dixon you could consider ditching him then subbing Taylor forward then getting Tyson

MLS

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on April 01, 2014, 12:36:06 AM
hi mate

yeah you need to trade Hurn to someone imo

Dixon you could consider ditching him then subbing Taylor forward then getting Tyson

Exposes Taylor on-field with a forward-line that is killing me. Is Taylor start-able?

kilbluff1985

he is but not sure if he is a good one i just think Tyson is a must have and you really need to trade Hurn

LF

I started Taylor this week but in my mids over Michie
I think he is he is going fine for someone who had limited preseason

AndyWhis

Screw the long game I say... My motto is trade early and trade hard. I did a double trade week 1 and attribute it (and better on field rookie choices) to jumping 25,000 places this week to 24k, (brought in Swallow and got rid of Laidler for Langdon). I will be doing another 2 trades this week to dial the team a little further and then I take a rest for a few weeks unless I cop a LTI.  Probably Rohan to Ambrose and Shaw to Hooker. Plus these 4 trades have taken me from $4k in the bank to $290,000.

I usually don't finish too badly (top 5000) and always make my private and public league finals with this strategy. This is not a strategy to go for overall, but who are we kidding. To win overall you're either a tech nerd, a virgin or both.

H1bb3i2d

I'd say trading hard early IS  a strategy for overall^^

I played the long game last year,  similar to the OP's suggestion, like downgrading an Duffield to one of the mid rookies one of a few that come to mind. I finished with a terrible terrible overall (5 digits, albeit the byes killed me too) but I destroyed my league, I was knocking down 2500-2700s during finals because of the extra money I was making (and kept almost all my injured premiums up to 3-4 weeks, so the trades helped too)

So basically to the OP: whats your priority?  Have any cash leagues? Keen for a PB overall?
Downgrading premiums will do exactly what you suggested,  which will help you come the back end of the season, but wont quite make up for the short term pain so you'll end up a bit further down the rankings.

MLS

Quote from: H1bb3i2d on April 01, 2014, 09:19:09 AM
I'd say trading hard early IS  a strategy for overall^^

I played the long game last year,  similar to the OP's suggestion, like downgrading an Duffield to one of the mid rookies one of a few that come to mind. I finished with a terrible terrible overall (5 digits, albeit the byes killed me too) but I destroyed my league, I was knocking down 2500-2700s during finals because of the extra money I was making (and kept almost all my injured premiums up to 3-4 weeks, so the trades helped too)

So basically to the OP: whats your priority?  Have any cash leagues? Keen for a PB overall?
Downgrading premiums will do exactly what you suggested,  which will help you come the back end of the season, but wont quite make up for the short term pain so you'll end up a bit further down the rankings.

TBH, while I would like a decent ranking, at the end of the day, unless you actually win, no one cares!

Been top 1000-ish the last two years but struggles in leagues at the back end of the season. I guess what I like about going this strategy is that I am bringing in 2 R10 bye players that I can use to trade around the bye back to R8 & R9 premos.