Who's the better mid? Scott Pendlebury or Joel Selwood?

Started by _wato, January 20, 2014, 12:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Captain

Quote from: tbagrocks on January 20, 2014, 02:00:47 AM
You still need a Selwood mate, most great teams have a Selwood or two

Spot on Tbag Eagles have a selwood or 2. Well 1 now. bahaha.  :P.

But na, in all seriousness. Both amazing players. Would love either to be at the eagles.

Would say Selwood.. just.... Because the man will run head first into anything. His desperation at the ball is number 1 in the afl...

_wato

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on January 20, 2014, 11:10:27 AM
Selwood and Pendlebury are different types of midfielders, so you can't really say which one is better anyway.

Most would say Selwood, because the margin between him and the 2nd best inside mid is greater than Pendlebury's

Alright well pose this question, who would you rather?

Think this thread may be dead by the way, hasn't had much reads at all so far.

Pendlebury ahead in the voting by one, 7 to 6.

Personally I would rather Pendlebury, but it's a tough decision. Any more opinions?

quinny88

Just voted Pendlebury but had to really think about it. To me they are the 2nd and 3rd best mids in the comp behind Gaz. Selwood probably more regarded for his sheer determination and attack on the ball but Pendles is no softy either.
2 guys that would compliment each other beautifully if in the same side. I only pick Pendles because I just love watching him play. Silky as it gets. Love them both though

_wato

He's like the gazelle of AFL I reckon, he boasts around the field like his shower don't stink but it's true, nobody can touch him hahaha.

He seems to have so much time, something no other player has. He just seems a step ahead of everybody else, whereas Selwood doesn't have that affect I don't think.

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: _wato on January 21, 2014, 08:24:24 PM
Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on January 20, 2014, 11:10:27 AM
Selwood and Pendlebury are different types of midfielders, so you can't really say which one is better anyway.

Most would say Selwood, because the margin between him and the 2nd best inside mid is greater than Pendlebury's

Alright well pose this question, who would you rather?

Think this thread may be dead by the way, hasn't had much reads at all so far.

Pendlebury ahead in the voting by one, 7 to 6.

Personally I would rather Pendlebury, but it's a tough decision. Any more opinions?

Selwood is a much rarer player than Pendlebury is. You can't use statistics to show how valuable he is

ossie85

I think it Pendlebury was at Geelong, and Selwood was at the Pies - I don't think results would have changed that much.

I think Pendlebury, though I'm hugely bias!

The real test will be when both go through the bad times - as they've both been benefited of having A+ midfielders around them.

Ziplock

hard to split- whoever can keep it up at an A grade level for the longest.

Grazz

Two of my absolute favourite players and hard to split for me anyway. I think Pendles, whoever I start with I will have the other at some stage through the year aswell.

Ringo

Agree with Oss real test will come in the next couple of years when the elite mid fielders around them have departed and they have to step out with the next tier developing. We may even see who copes better this year with some of the relevant departures of Chapman and Thomas.
Only reason both not in my team at the moment is Salary Cap but expect both in there by seasons end if injury does not intervene,

Kellogscrunchynut

Very hard to split, both will go down as greats of the era. I'd say Pendles is slightly ahead.

GoLions

I think Pendles is just ahead of Selwood atm. He reminds me a bit of Blacky as he isn't the quickest guy going around, but always seems like he has all the time in the world when he has the ball, and uses it so well. Great to watch. Not taking anything away from Selwood, as he would definitely be the 3rd best mid in the comp right now.