Pendles vs Griffen

Started by Jackross10, January 27, 2014, 06:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GCSkiwi

Wato, Dayze - totally your call I'm obviously just providing my opinion.

What I said in my post was "I have no doubt he can increase his scores and score higher than his price comfortably" - not at all questioning his talent. Which appears to be what you've interpreted.

"his bye is the same as GAJ, Pendles, Beams, Swan and Jelwood, and I think you have to be mad to start Cotchin ahead of any of them" - and I completely stand by that statement. He MAY get on par with them or even exceed them, but you're banking a lot on one year where he got 116. The same year Pendles got 125. And then last year Pendles got 127. And yes, Cotch had some niggles through last season, but if I do remember rightly people were predicting him to be top 5 then too, average 120-130 was last year's call... He was great in 2012 for sure, he must have been one of the most consistent, if not the most consistent players in all of SC. He had a great preseason and a great year. But then I don't recall him having any preseason issues last year.

"Beams is a value lock for me, and I can afford GAJ and Pendles with my current set up so those will be my picks. 3 round 8 byes is quite enough." - Cotchin might absolutely destroy this year, the only point I was making is that his bye round doesn't play into him starting in my team.

If you're giving the choice of Ablett/Cotchin/Rocky vs Pendles/Selwood/Murphy then of course I would agree with you taking A/C/R. All I'm saying is with choice of Pendles vs Cotchin I will go with the guy who has a tough start, but has averaged 10pts more than the other's best season to date, for 2 years running... By saying Cotchin was an undercover disaster I was trying to say that I don't think he's as much value as his price may make you think. He's priced at his average, and he may likely score better than that. But the fact remains that he's that price because that is how he scored last year, with no indication going into the season that anything was amiss. Compare that to someone like Beams, who is priced below his average, and can also improve on that average...

Just an opinion, and like an a**hole everybody has one.

WizzFizz

Cotchin`s last 3 vs teams he plays before the byes:

GCS: 109,141,88 AVG: 112.7
CAR: 62,119,106 AVG: 95.7
WBS: 86,139,175 AVG: 133.3
COL: 106,103,119 AVG: 109.3
BRS: 103,115,102 AVG: 106.7
HAW: 144,112,70 AVG: 108.7
GEE: 76,103,127 AVG: 102

Total AVG: 109.8

Verdict: Avg above his pricing and in an improving richmond side I can see him averaging 115+. 120k less than pendles and will avg 5-10 less than him. 120k can change a caddy to a zorko, potentially changing an 75ppg to a 100ppg.

MC

Pendles has scored below 100 what? 5 or 6 times in the last 3 years?! You guys are bloody hard to please! Who gives a rat's if he has Crowley in R1? They've gone h2h once before and Pendles still scored 96. For a bloke who will comfortably average 120+ and could peak at around 135ish for the season, he's very hard to leave out based on one (possible) low score. Knowing the player he is, he's just as likely to come out firing in R1 and notch a 150, leaving Crowley in the dirt - particularly with the motivation of (possibly) being the club captain. 

_wato

My point exactly Wizz.

You're exactly right Skiwi, everyone is able to their opinion. I understand everything you're saying also mate, but I don't get how I'm 'crazy' to start Cotchin over Pendlebury when I save myself $120k? When purely my team will be better than others in parts where I think money is better spent such as Caddy to Pav/Gunston etc who will average 20+ points more IMO.

And if you're telling me you think Ablett/Rockliff/Cotchin is better than Pendlebury/Selwood/Murphy then why don't you go with the former trio? Ablett is underpriced, Cotchin is underpriced and Rockliff will improve his average. Pendlebury will stabilise, Selwood will improve, Murphy will improve., but for the same amount of money you get more points per game and the possibility of three keepers instead of two? I think Cotchin will be top 8, Murphy won't be.

And I don't see how you're bringing up Pendlebury v Cotchin when of course I know Pendlebury is better? My choice was out of Ablett v Pendlebrury because there's other guns who I want in my team that are underpriced. I then have given my thoughts on WHY I chose Ablett over Pendlebury and since then everyone's thinking that I'm saying Pendlebury is a dud and that he'll start like crap. No all I'm doing is giving my reasons as to why I'm choosing Ablett not Pendlebury. I stand firm with my thoughts and think Pendlebury will start under par, that is quite all.

Dayze

Fair enough big fella.
If u don't think cotchin can go 115+ then of course u wouldn't pick him over pendles.

We really don't want to leave pendles out.
But beams is undisputable and I truly believe cotch could go 120 so at his price I can't leave him out.
That really leaves room for one more round 8er which ATM is Gaz.
Who knows tho, time will tell if its an error

Ricochet

Quote from: MC on January 29, 2014, 05:17:03 PM
Pendles has scored below 100 what? 5 or 6 times in the last 3 years?! You guys are bloody hard to please! Who gives a rat's if he has Crowley in R1? They've gone h2h once before and Pendles still scored 96. For a bloke who will comfortably average 120+ and could peak at around 135ish for the season, he's very hard to leave out based on one (possible) low score. Knowing the player he is, he's just as likely to come out firing in R1 and notch a 150, leaving Crowley in the dirt - particularly with the motivation of (possibly) being the club captain.
Crowley was only one of my reasons MC

GCSkiwi

Quote from: _wato on January 29, 2014, 05:18:26 PM
My point exactly Wizz.

You're exactly right Skiwi, everyone is able to their opinion. I understand everything you're saying also mate, but I don't get how I'm 'crazy' to start Cotchin over Pendlebury when I save myself $120k? When purely my team will be better than others in parts where I think money is better spent such as Caddy to Pav/Gunston etc who will average 20+ points more IMO.

And if you're telling me you think Ablett/Rockliff/Cotchin is better than Pendlebury/Selwood/Murphy then why don't you go with the former trio? Ablett is underpriced, Cotchin is underpriced and Rockliff will improve his average. Pendlebury will stabilise, Selwood will improve, Murphy will improve., but for the same amount of money you get more points per game and the possibility of three keepers instead of two? I think Cotchin will be top 8, Murphy won't be.

And I don't see how you're bringing up Pendlebury v Cotchin when of course I know Pendlebury is better? My choice was out of Ablett v Pendlebrury because there's other guns who I want in my team that are underpriced. I then have given my thoughts on WHY I chose Ablett over Pendlebury and since then everyone's thinking that I'm saying Pendlebury is a dud and that he'll start like crap. No all I'm doing is giving my reasons as to why I'm choosing Ablett not Pendlebury. I stand firm with my thoughts and think Pendlebury will start under par, that is quite all.

Yeah fair points mate. Think we could be arguing different points (and we've almost certainly gone off the original Pendles vs Griffen track!) - I think I was mainly reacting to you saying you could pick up Cotchin for 120k less than Pendles but get the same output back before my first post. Just so I'm not putting words in your mouth, the quote was "I feel I can get the same output upto within 5-10ppg for $100k cheaper (Cotchin 115+), but that cash can be spent on other lines making the improvement there 15-20 points better." All valid and fair I just disagree with Cotchin only trailing Pendles by 5-10 over the opening rounds... As for those combo's, you posted both of them for comparison, I was just answering your comparison. No way am I going Pendles/Jelwood/Murph. Completely agree Cotchin has a greater chance of being top 8, Murph almost certainly won't be. The reason I'm not going For Ablett/Cotchin/Rockliff is because I'm going for Ablett/Pendlebury/Rockliff (&Beams). I would seriously consider taking Cotchin ahead of Rocky if not for his bye...