F3 - Chad Wingard v Lance Franklin

Started by Maggie May, January 25, 2014, 11:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbagrocks

Quote from: Dudge on January 25, 2014, 05:22:24 PM
I'm going with Wingard, my reasoning is just so biased, I refuse to type it, so there !! SCG to small for Buddy
Where as the MCG just aint big enough for the Boss, neither is the Oval ;D Kids just a freak

But Buddy has to be one of the biggest steals, no matter what he does off the field ;)

Dudge

WizzFizz

we all know franklin is a great player and last year was a silly spell. Loves ripping up at the scg so ill take him. Also 50k odd less than wingard. Dont get me wrong, wingard is one of my favourite players but i think he'll not do as good as buddy.

Wingard predicted avg: 85-100
Buddy predicted avg: 95-120

Dudge

Quote from: WizzFizz on January 25, 2014, 07:42:41 PM
we all know franklin is a great player and last year was a silly spell. Loves ripping up at the scg so ill take him. Also 50k odd less than wingard. Dont get me wrong, wingard is one of my favourite players but i think he'll not do as good as buddy.

Wingard predicted avg: 85-100
Buddy predicted avg: 95-120

My post was  :P, but I think your predictions seem reasonably close. That's for a prediction of course :)

freowho

Even at his cheap price I still think Buddy is too much money for someone who gets injured and suspended as often as he does. Especially in Supercoach with limited trades. Isn't he training away from the main group at the moment? ???

WizzFizz

Quote from: freowho on January 25, 2014, 08:17:53 PM
Even at his cheap price I still think Buddy is too much money for someone who gets injured and suspended as often as he does. Especially in Supercoach with limited trades. Isn't he training away from the main group at the moment? ???

Sj did very well last year and i was happy to pay 550k for him mid season. When he did play he was consistantly pumpnig out 100s and often 150s

Franklin will be like that to a lesser extent.

Noz

Sabretooth Tigers

:)
If I had to choose I'd go Buddy who has something to prove to the Sydney public, and I don't think his pride would settle on doing anything else. But I have taken both very confidently. Cheers.    :) :)

Keeper27

i know this is off topic

Quote from: _wato on January 25, 2014, 02:08:33 PM
I love how we all think money in Australian Football is superb

it is very small by comparison, but in ratio AFL players get payed a better amount on average compared to footballers in Europe who's competition bring in 9 times the revenue (9.17 to be exact).

AFL 2012 Revenue was $425M
EPL $3.9B

The average AFL salary in 2012 was $251,559.
Average Premier League wages have reached $42,345 a week x 38 weeks = $1,609,110

AFL x 9.17 = $2,308,423

** all stats are in AUD

Quote from: _wato on January 25, 2014, 02:08:33 PMlook overseas and realise blokes like Christiano Ronaldo earns $200,000,000 to play with Real Madrid and that's not including endorsements, and NBA players that sit on the bench earn $3-4,000,000 each, to basically watch the game.

Cristiano Ronaldo
Earnings
$44 M As of June 2013

Athlete, Soccer
Salary/Winnings: $23 M
Endorsements: $21 M

sorry, back to the question.

i personally think Buddy will kill it this year, Wingard now will get more attention from opposition will he be able to cop the extra attention.
Buddy is a proven Premo, even this year when he stunk it up by his standards he still managed to avg 90.4, Only a mere 1.5 points shy of being a top 10 FWD.

im not saying wingard wont be able to back it up this year, im just saying that Buddy is the "safer" option.
his avg over the last 4 years is 106, and i think he'll get back to around that this year, and priced at $487K he's a bargain.

DCAK

Here's my 2 bob's worth.

Franklin was undisputed #1 fwd at Hawthorn.  Is he #1 at Sydney? Or is Tippett #1.  Someone is going to be the foil for the other. For my mind I will always favour a DPP mid/fwd purely for the reason they rely on gathering/passing the ball to accrue points rather than mark/goal.  For that reason I'm going with Wingard.

_wato

Keeper, Ronaldo signed a new contract in September worth about $150,000,000 AUD for 5 years and that's not including endorsements. It's roughly around $200 million when you add those costs in.. He's gotten better since he was younger so obviously he will earn more. That Forbes stat was from June 2013.

You are right about the pay on average between AFL and EPL though, but it's ridiculously a lot more regardless.

On topic now!

GoLions

Personally I prefer Wingard, and just about 100% agree with what DCAK said. In saying that, don't think there'll be much of a difference between the 2. Wingard to out-average Buddy by 2-3 ppg by the end of the year

Ricochet

I try to stay away from young kids backing up from a breakout year. Buddy is proven and underpriced, gotta be him

Grazz

Wingard will certainly get some closer attention this year and Buddy on the postage stamp size SCG makes this a very tough question to answer with any sort of confidence. I lean towards Buddy at the minute.

sammy123

Quote from: Ricochet on January 28, 2014, 11:27:42 AM
I try to stay away from young kids backing up from a breakout year. Buddy is proven and underpriced, gotta be him

Agree with this. Usually wait out a year or 2 to make sure it wasn't a one season wonder. Wingard is great but would need to go bang at the start for me to consider. Upgrade target for me